Unique ring tones for emails and texts

Allen Zagel

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Hello

First time here but I'm having an issue I don't know how to handle. I have the Galaxy S4, T-Mobile and synced to my Gmail, calendar etc.

I belong to an Emergency management team and we receive our call-outs via emails. 1 comes as a regular email to my Gmail and one comes as a message to my cell phone.

I've tried to set special ring tones for both the gmail and my text but I can't seem to get them to work. I suppose that it doesn't work on my text message because it was originated as an email?

Isn't it possible to set a special notification tone for both the gmail message and the message received as text?

Thanks for any help
Allen

Dan29466

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I was never able to get unique ringtones to work with the stock messaging app, which is part of why I started using Textra instead. If you decide to use Textra, just go to the list of received messages (the list that shows all of the various threads from people who have texted you, not the list of texts from one person), locate the sender that you want to have a custom ringtone and press&hold that thread. When the screen changes, that contact should have a checkbox next to it. Hit the three-dots GUI object in the top-right, select Notifications, then scroll down to Notification Sound to set the ringtone. You can also change the LED blink color which is nice so you can set important senders to blink red rather than your normal color.

Dan

Allen Zagel

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi Dan

Yea I figured I'd never be able to set a tone. That's why most of the fellows in the Emergency amazement team got a separate email address for call-outs. Also it might be because my text call is sent from an email address to my cell phone. It originates from an email address and not a text message. I can't leave my phone on all night having every email and text dinging and waking me up.

I suppose the app store should have this Textra?

Thanks
Allen

I'll have to look for this