Would you recommend this phone?

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
It looks I may be doing a MAJOR downgrade. From the Galaxy Nexus to the Sidekick 4G.

I know what you're thinking. "Are you insane?" "What are you smoking?", but the reason is financial planning. I may finally be able to pay off all my credit cards if I sell my Nexus for a Sidekick and use the difference in money to pay my credit cards off. Having no debt is crucial since I'll be attempting to qualify for law school loans in the fall. Now I'll be seeing if I can budget a scenario where I can keep my Nexus, but just in case I can't, I have a few questions/concerns.

I heard from people that the phone freezes and lags A LOT, but I heard that an update last month fixed many of those issues. Since it has the same processor that powers the Galaxy S, I'd figure that it should at least be able to execute everyday tasks with ease.

Also, how is camera quality? I don't really record video. Maybe once in a blue moon I will, and I hear that it can be hacked to record in 720p. What I'm mainly concerned about is the quality of the still image camera. I don't even take pictures that often, but I still do so significantly more often than I shoot video.

What are the pros and cons in your opinion? Is this a device you'd recommend to someone on a budget?

Also, feel free to comment on anything I didn't ask, but you think I should know.

Last edited:

Xmeatizmurderx

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
If you like a physical keyboard then it doesn't get any better than the sidekick. The camera is surprisingly good, I have seen some 8mp phones that don't take as good of photos, the only downside is the lack of camera flash. The lag issues can be fixed by rooting and installing roms, the best one out now is called glorious overdose you can head on over to xda developers to check that out.

If you want to save money then I would switch to virgin mobile or a carrier like that, you will be spending about half of what it costs to be on a big name carrier like tmobile. Virgin mobile starts at $35 a month for 2.5gb of data, unlimitted text, and 300 minutes plus no contract.

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
If you like a physical keyboard then it doesn't get any better than the sidekick. The camera is surprisingly good, I have seen some 8mp phones that don't take as good of photos, the only downside is the lack of camera flash. The lag issues can be fixed by rooting and installing roms, the best one out now is called glorious overdose you can head on over to xda developers to check that out.

If you want to save money then I would switch to virgin mobile or a carrier like that, you will be spending about half of what it costs to be on a big name carrier like tmobile. Virgin mobile starts at $35 a month for 2.5gb of data, unlimitted text, and 300 minutes plus no contract.

I can't switch. I'm still in contract.

The keyboard is the reason it's going to be the Sidekick for me if I have to do a significant downgrade.

EDIT:
Also, T-Mobile has a prepaid plan for only $30.

Last edited:

dav12

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
It looks I may be doing a MAJOR downgrade. From the Galaxy Nexus to the Sidekick 4G.

I know what you're thinking. "Are you insane?" "What are you smoking?", but the reason is financial planning. I may finally be able to pay off all my credit cards if I sell my Nexus for a Sidekick and use the difference in money to pay my credit cards off. Having no debt is crucial since I'll be attempting to qualify for law school loans in the fall. Now I'll be seeing if I can budget a scenario where I can keep my Nexus, but just in case I can't, I have a few questions/concerns.

I heard from people that the phone freezes and lags A LOT, but I heard that an update last month fixed many of those issues. Since it has the same processor that powers the Galaxy S, I'd figure that it should at least be able to execute everyday tasks with ease.

Also, how is camera quality? I don't really record video. Maybe once in a blue moon I will, and I hear that it can be hacked to record in 720p. What I'm mainly concerned about is the quality of the still image camera. I don't even take pictures that often, but I still do so significantly more often than I shoot video.

What are the pros and cons in your opinion? Is this a device you'd recommend to someone on a budget?

Also, feel free to comment on anything I didn't ask, but you think I should know.

I really thing you should take a close look at this device. Since I'm a little "techie", I don't just call this a phone. Sure, this device is very very good for texting, but soon after you start playing around with it you discover a whole new world of managing your emails, texting, browsing, office spreadsheets, music, radio, and much much more! When I am not at work I seldom use my laptop computer. I am always looking for efficiency. Android on this Sidekick 4G has really complimented the intentions of what the word "hiptop" really means. I personally installed a new SPB shell 3D interface on my sidekick, and to me it has now become a world class 'pda', an all in one laptop replacement I can place in my pocket. I may have overstated what you are looking for, but you get the idea. For those who are looking for a great all in one smartphone-pda-device, look no further. With this Sidekick 4G, you will not be disappointed!

LeoLawliet

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm still on Virgin Mobile, I just got this phone as a gift and though it's an amazing device I'm still not tempted to switch to T-Mobile. I'd have to agree that the service from Virgin is great, I have a grandfathered $25 plan for 300 minutes and unlimited text and 2.5gb of data (after 2.5gb it gets throttled to 256kbps if I'm not mistaken) it's definitely still worth the money even at $35 a month, you won't get a cheaper prepaid Android deal anywhere else.

The only negative I had was trying to figure out CWM on the stock rom.. after I managed to make a nandroid backup and install Glorious Overdose, I've been much more pleased with the Sidekick (not that the stock rom sucks, it's still pretty kickass.)

You won't be disappointed but you may have to be a bit patient when it comes to development, AOSP is currently being developed so there goes something to look forward to :)

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk

Last edited: