Bug report and other issues

eggFuJON

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Bugs I have found so far:

1. When it returns to the home launcher it will go to an end homescreen. I have 7 and will always return to the first. Then it will either stay there or it will switch back to the original homescreen you left from when opening another app. It's like the OS is not keeping the launcher and app list in memory so it has to refresh constantly, making it lag.
* Keeping the home launcher at a "minimal" state will increase performance. More lightweight launchers, such as Zeam, gave me the best performance with very few refreshes.

2. When setting up amount of home screens, the main screen (when you press HOME) may not always be the middle. If you have 5, 4 will be the main screen. Either a bug or bad implementation.

3. When you log in to Twitter and Facebook for Samsung Mobile (the built-in syncs, not the Android apps), you have the option to update via notification bar. Even if logged on that notification bar feature may act as if you are not logged on. It will ask you to then when you click on an account you made it will say an account is already set up.
* I don't know if it's interfering with logging in to Twitter and Facebook accounts through the apps. So in the account sync settings I have two of each. Deleting the built-in sync and re-adding solves the bug for a while.

4. After powering on and making a call, the in-call volume will be at max. Pressing vol-down will reset it back to its original state.
* Mine is at the lowest so I don't know if it resets to the original or lowest setting.

5. When listening to music using the native Media Room app, unplugging your headphones and plugging them back on will reset the volume to a default setting. I have it on 14 and would reset back to 7. I'm guessing it's a "feature" to prevent hearing problems.

6. After the phone has been running for a while sound files and MP3 on my memory card will just not play. So you will miss audio notifications for apps you assign sounds from the memory card. This is one of the biggest problems I have with the phone.
* After a couple resets I haven't come across this issue again, so far.

7. When typing on the keyboard petty quickly, some letters would be omitted. Not because it's fast but possibly because of a quick lag. I thought I didn't press the keys but I have tested it out and it does indeed omit due to lag.

8. With auto?brightness on and using the phone in the sun, the cursor will act crazy. maybe has something to do wth the light sensor.

9. When receiving a text message you must read the message from within the Messaging app to avoid getting the "Unknown" message in the lockscreen. Clearing the status bar notification (if you have notifications enabled in the Messaging app) or not reading it at all despite whatever third-party messaging app you are using will yield that "Unknown" icon.

Issues:

1. The mic on my phone is really low. People have trouble hearing me. Listening to a recording shows proof.
* Recently I have not had this issue. The person I spoke with that experienced it said I sounded a lot better.

2. There is no option to have notification volume be shared with ring volume as on all Android phones. Idk why it wasn't implemented. Now I have to go through extra steps to lower volumes when I sleep.
* I have found out you can use apps to link the two volumes as one. I personally use Audio Widget.

UPDATE: T-Mobile gave me a 4G sim card as opposed to the 3G I used from my older phone. It seemed to have improved speed a bit, with all the syncs and constant background data. (See below post)

I have done a factory reset. From a clean start my phone was as responsive as the T-Mobile store's display model. Even after downloading all my apps back responsiveness was still improved. However, after fixing up my home launcher (adw ex) with all the icons and widgets, responsiveness went down. Due note that this is mainly when going back to the homescreen.

I have read on another forum (androidforums, I believe) that the user deleted apps to get rid of the stock launcher extreme lag (first bug). But after switching to a 4G sim card before the reset I haven't come across that bug. Perhaps he, too, had a 3G sim card.

My concluson is that despite the 1ghz hummingbird (?) processor, the phone cannot handle a full homescreen setup. This is bad considering my Optimus V (600 mhz cpu) has no problems with more apps and widgets installed.

I will add more if I come across more. Feel free to add.

Last edited:

eggFuJON

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else experiencing these problems? Or is it my phone? I will do a factory reset to see if it solves the problem before exchanging the phone, if necessary.

Ghost14

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
After another day of use, I still haven't run into any mic problems...so far so good.

As for the home screens I have the same problem as I have 5 and mine always goes to 4/5 instead of the middle (3/5). I'm particular about symmetry so this is a small annoyance.

I havent made any statuses or used the media player so I can't say whether I've experienced those problems or not.

yogi2000#AC

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
So far all I've noticed is a slight lag in certain situations, and on my lockscreen, the date hardly ever loads, it just says 'unknown' where the date should be. I only use one homescreen, so I haven't noticed that other bug.

eggFuJON

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Indeed. True to the Sidekick name this phone was made for landscape functionality. It is a bummer the phone app cannot orient itself.

I am getting frustrated that every time I leave the home launcher (no matter what launcher it is) it has to refresh everything. That includes desktop icons, widgets, and the app drawer. I'm hoping all you other Sidekick users aren't experiencing this so I can just exchange my phone knowing it is defective somehow.

Last edited:

Ghost14

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I tried the cloud text feature and it doesn't seem to save my contact names. It doesn't pull contact info from the phone, nor does it seem to save the names I add within the cloud application.

I assume the application takes contacts saved on the phone? This could be why it doesn't want to sync with my contacts as they are all saved in my Google contacts.

eggFuJON

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Yes. Cloud texting takes contacts from either the device itself or from t-moble contacts (go to my.t-moble.com to manage).

UPDATE: I went to tmo today and apparently I needed a newer 4G simcard. They used the old 3G one I've been using. So far things seem to work a lot smoother. The lagging issue is less existent. But upon first boot of the new sim my optical pad was moving all over the place. But the bugs got fixed after time/a few restarts probably due to the simcard taking effect. It makes sense the simcard would slow the phone down with all the syncs and a 3G sim in a 4G device. So I'll report back by tomorrow for results.

The keyboard presses not all being registered is still there, however. But maybe not later. Time will tell.

bipoler#AC

Banned
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Yes. Cloud texting takes contacts from either the device itself or from t-moble contacts (go to my.t-moble.com to manage).

UPDATE: I went to tmo today and apparently I needed a newer 4G simcard. They used the old 3G one I've been using. So far things seem to work a lot smoother. The lagging issue is less existent. But upon first boot of the new sim my optical pad was moving all over the place. But the bugs got fixed after time/a few restarts probably due to the simcard taking effect. It makes sense the simcard would slow the phone down with all the syncs and a 3G sim in a 4G device. So I'll report back by tomorrow for results.

The keyboard presses not all being registered is still there, however. But maybe not later. Time will tell.

Hey I noticed on my paperwork my sim card type says "3g" how can I tell if I have a "4g" simcard? If they tried something shady I will close my account

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk

eggFuJON

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Are you a new customer or did you upgrade? On the sim card itself I see no indication of it being 4G. Not even on the credit card-sized insert. I upgraded so they didn't replace the sim. You can always visit he store to confirm.

eggFuJON

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE: Reducing my homescreens (or just overall stuff, i.e. widgets, icons) has greatly increased overall performance in the home launcher (zeam, adw.ex), except for the stock launcher (TwLauncher). I never undergo a refresh unless it orients the display because the screen is open/closed.
For best performance, lightweight launchers, such as Zeam, are the best.

For issues no.2, using apps can link the two volumes together. Changing volumes via volume keys work. I use AudioManager.

Last edited:

itsmeggin

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
texting wrong person?

I am sure this has been talked about, but I am looking for a solution. I just got my sidekick a week ago. I switched from my HD2, so I am new to android. The only problem I have with it so far is that about 50% of the time, when I click on a text message thread, it brings me to the wrong one! The whole idea of the sidekick is to be able to text/tweet/facebook super fast and conveniently so I never thought to double check the thread I am in when I know which one I clicked on. I have texted my mom by accident at 1 in the morning, I have tweeted via SMS a message meant for my boyfriend (thank GOD it was a tame one) and I have texted multiple people by accident. When I am in "messages" I will click on names to see how often it goes to the right one, and I have to say, it really is only about 50% of the time. HELP before I send something horrible to the wrong person!

eggFuJON

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I have never heard of this problem. Honestly, the biggest thing I've come across was that the popups for sms wouldn't show. But restarting the phone has solved some issues. You can either pull the battery (like BlackBerry) or hold down to vol-up and power buttons until it restarts.
If anything, do a few restarts. If nothing, do a factory reset (Settings, Privacy, Reset). If the problem still persists then just exchange it.

bipoler#AC

Banned
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Are you a new customer or did you upgrade? On the sim card itself I see no indication of it being 4G. Not even on the credit card-sized insert. I upgraded so they didn't replace the sim. You can always visit he store to confirm.

New customer...but I find it kind of dumb to make such a mistake....I think I'm taking the phone back

bipoler#AC

Banned
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
A lot of lag and forced closes ugh! Now my .mp3 won't play what da heck is going on with them!....I'm slowly taking him back can't deal with unpopytimized devivce

Ghost14

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I have never heard of this problem. Honestly, the biggest thing I've come across was that the popups for sms wouldn't show. But restarting the phone has solved some issues. You can either pull the battery (like BlackBerry) or hold down to vol-up and power buttons until it restarts.
If anything, do a few restarts. If nothing, do a factory reset (Settings, Privacy, Reset). If the problem still persists then just exchange it.

Yeah I had the same problem with popups for SMS not showing, but I found out this happens when I use the Task Killer and you allow it to close the messaging app is when the popups stop showing. Once I unchecked the SMS app, all has been good...at least for me.

I get annoyed with the popups, however because they don't mark messages as read in your inbox :(

eggFuJON

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
A lot of lag and forced closes ugh! Now my .mp3 won't play what da heck is going on with them!....I'm slowly taking him back can't deal with unpopytimized devivce

That happened to me before. But after a few restarts it won't do it again. Still, a "comeback" phone with great potential shouldn't be having this or any of these issues. I think they rushed this out before working out all the kinks.

bipoler#AC

Banned
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
That happened to me before. But after a few restarts it won't do it again. Still, a "comeback" phone with great potential shouldn't be having this or any of these issues. I think they rushed this out before working out all the kinks.

I concur and honestly I still keep debating jumping back to sprint I jus cantget over this keyboard and network speeds. So ill keep sk4g jus until next major phone come out

Ghost14

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I've started to experience the missed keys on the keyboard as well. I thought I was just typing too fast, but its definitely a software issue of some sort. Its rather frustrating that such nice keyboard limits how fast you're able to type. Hopefully an update comes sooner than later....

yogi2000#AC

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I've started to experience the missed keys on the keyboard as well. I thought I was just typing too fast, but its definitely a software issue of some sort. Its rather frustrating that such nice keyboard limits how fast you're able to type. Hopefully an update comes sooner than later....

I haven't noticed it too bad myself, maybe once in a while, but not as bad as on the Samsung Epic. There was a fix for the Epic that made typing much better, so hopefully the same can be done for this phone if need be. It had to do with adjusting the timer delay on the keypad.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel