1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Ringtones for Contacts?

Hey, just got the new vibrant yesterday... Anyone know how to set specific ringtones for specific contacts? I learned how to change the general default ringtone for the whole phone, but can't figure out how to change contact ringtones. I tried the traditional open up a contact and hit menu, but no option that I can find... Help?!?!?

1) Go to your contact list
    2) Select your contact
    3) Select View contact
    4) Click Menu button
    5) Select Options
    6) Ringtone

sorry i dont see anything from step 3 on?? not on my vibrant or maybe im too blind???
    help...

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

How about Edit contact?

Quote Originally Posted by movieaddict View Post
    sorry i dont see anything from step 3 on?? not on my vibrant or maybe im too blind???
    help...
    I'm running 2.1 on a G1, so I was assuming the steps would be the same on the Vibrant. I'll be getting my Vibrant tomorrow and will post any corrections then.

BTW, in step two you need to click your contact and wait for the screen to change. The next screen is where you'll should see the view contact option.

I tooled around with this yesterday and didn't see anything about assigning ringtones.

Global Posts
    368 Global Posts

If the contact only exsists on google then you can not assign ringtone so you need to look at the icon to the right of the name and it should have green phone to add ringtones

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Has anyone tried applying a ringtone to a contact using the zedge app? You can download the ringtone then select set as... and go from there.

All my contacts are Google contacts.

i dont think u can do it on the vibrant...
    (edit) someone just told me u can do it with a simple app called ringo lite, im off to do it now...
    Last edited by movieaddict; 07-20-2010 at 05:43 AM.

I did on mine, you have to go to the ring tone you want then set as individual contact, pick the contact and save.

It is possible.

1) Contacts -->Edit --> Scroll down to Ringtone --> Do as you please

2) Find a song/ringtone ---> menu --> set as ---> ringtone etc...

*Contact must be saved on phone and not on gmail/sim.

Enjoy

One of the previous posters was correct, you need to re-enter specific contacts that you want to assign specific ringtones to (husband, wife, mom, close friend, etc) and make sure to save them to the green phone icon. Even if you already have them in your phone as a google contact you need to re-enter and save to the phone icon option. When you do that you can specify ringtones for each contact then when you choose to view google, phone, sim, and/or facebook contacts your phone will merge the info. I have home addresses, email addresses saved under google contacts already so you don't need to re-enter all of that just their given phone number(s) and the rest will be merged together when you choose to view phone contacts and google contacts together.

Need to make sure the contacts are stored on the phone memory...not the sim card

Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
    If the contact only exsists on google then you can not assign ringtone so you need to look at the icon to the right of the name and it should have green phone to add ringtones
    Thanks for pointing that out. I suspected that. I couldn't find the option on my own so I called Tmobile and was able to add a custom ringtone when I created a new contact with tech support. I'll check in again with them and see if they have a workaround for folks synching with Google contacts. I know that in CM5 you can add customer ringtones to your Google contacts (so someone took it out).

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

Ringdroid and Ringo Lite also allow assigning ringtones to google-hosted contacts. I had to restart my Captivate for the assigned ringtones to work, though. YMMV

Just tried ringo lite on captivate. It let me put ringtones on google contacts. It shows as a ringtone under 'other' when you select the contact, however, it does uses the default ringtone.

Global Posts
    1,117 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Ringtones for Contacts?

If it is an MP3 go to set as on the MP3 and select the contact in which you want it go specifically ring on.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
    Devices: Samsung Nexus S 4.0.1(alpha, of course), Samsung Vibrant 2.3.5 CM7 w/ Glitch Kernel v13, broken HTC Dream, and a Google Cr-48 with Ubuntu 11.10

Global Posts
    520 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by d1mz View Post
    It is possible.

1) Contacts -->Edit --> Scroll down to Ringtone --> Do as you please

2) Find a song/ringtone ---> menu --> set as ---> ringtone etc...

*Contact must be saved on phone and not on gmail/sim.

Enjoy
    Ha? Vibrant doesn't show any of your steps. What gives?

I found this on Google.

A bit convoluted but it works.
    Don't know if it will work on all phones. Worth a try.
    Also when you add to your Google contacts, you will have to do this again, I think.
    Thanked by: