1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What to do?

I just got a Vibrant after being on a G1 for a few years (with a BlackBerry phase in between. blech =P). I love the phone, but the TouchWiz is kind of weird compared to stock Android. I've always heard about people using custom ROMs, but it's still a pretty new concept to me. Could someone give me some more info on the pros/cons to doing this? and where I can find a good guide for a beginner?

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts

Hello and Welcome
    Good choice for a handset let me say.
    Take a read here http://www.androidcentral.com/root and see where it might lead you.
    I have as yet to Root I was waiting for the 2.2 to come to us and then I might root but so far I like the way TW is working. This also being my first AD.
    "Google bakes it, Samsung makes it, T-Mobile castrates it and then we get to taste it."
    BY RichieHd

You might just want to try out a different home screen launcher. Adw.launcher is popular and has several themes in the market. What are you not liking?

Hi

Just moved from the N1 to the Vibrant I don't mind the Sammy UI. Its a bit cartoonie in it's looks but it doesn't lose it's usefulness IMO. I do like the bigger screen.

I may root when 2.2 comes out not sure yet. But I have to say I do hate waiting for my desert.

Here are two great launchers, easily searchable on the Market:

-Launcher Pro - There is both a free and paid version which offers more widgets. The free version suffices, in my opinion, is easily customizable, and far better of an interface than TouchWiz 3. It's also constantly updated, so bug fixes and new features are always added.

-ADWW Launcher - Also free. This is a great alternative to Launcher Pro. Similar, but also has a few differences (namely Horizontal drawer scrolling). It's closer looking and feeling to Froyo (android 2.2).

It's really a matter of preference which home screen launcher you decide to stick with. Try them both out and you'll know. I also recommend downloaded "Home Switcher" (free) to easily switch between home screen launches.

Global Posts
    338 Global Posts

I am rooted and if you have any question please PM me and i'll do what i can. I am currently running

ROMs are more optimized and usually run better. You need to find one that is more stable then others. The one i mentioned before has been very stable. ROMs a lot of time will remove unwanted software (ie avatar TelNav). Being rooted though you can remove these through Root Explorer.

Usually fixes/updates come a lot quicker via ROM. The devs are users and want to get their phones working correctly and this benefits you. Also no corporate BS to push through. On my Vibrant i currently have the fix for lag and gps as well as the Mobile AP installed.

I have seen 1 Froyo ROM out for the Vibrant but to me with no JIT its not worth it. It will come in time and a lot quicker i guess then for TMO and Sammy to put it out.

As for the look ADW or Launcher Pro are your best bets. I personally use ADW.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Okay. I mainly want something that will improve battery life, and fix the lag/gps. A different look would just be a bonus =]

Ok,your milage may very on the battery issues. Ditch the widgets for twitter, news, facebook and the like. If you have twitter or facebook sync setup, remove them. Just use an app for updates. Gps issue is being addressed by samsung.

Global Posts
    338 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OHHitsKB View Post
    Okay. I mainly want something that will improve battery life, and fix the lag/gps. A different look would just be a bonus =]
    Here is your. Mileage my vary

And your . I highly recommend doing the 1 click fix. Beware though it has to repartition your 2gb RAM and you will only get 1gb after it. I quickly ran out of space....Don't install the Sims and you'll be ok.

I've done the lag fix and it seems to work. The god sound like its fixed on the epic so one tmobile signs off on the update we should have a fix.