Its not Samsung holding back Froyo

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Its quite obvious that everyone thinks Samsung is to blame for not having Froyo on their Galaxy S. When you look at it though, it's not. There is a leak of froyo for almost every device, it's the carriers. I post this on the Vibrant section because Vibrant still have Froyo, yet it was the first Galaxy S device out. Thoughts?

Sent from my Nexus S

jdm4u

Samsungian
Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Obviously its the carriers who haven't released it yet. Samsung already sent out froyo to the carriers, but the carriers havent sent anything out to the consumer. From previous articles, the Epic 4G and Vibrant had froyo software ready, with the Vibrant being basically ready for release, but the Epic still needed bug fixes. I just dont get what's taking so long.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
My T-Mobile Rep tells me this month, if not... a lot of people won't buy the next Galaxy S line. I have Froyo in my Vibrant, it works, maybe not the best, but it works... and when I consider the fact that this was an update that was leaked, a month ago... I really start to think.... "it's already great, but if this isn't the finished product, then I could imagine it will be much faster when it is ready for Prime time". Trust me, the froyo update of last month, was very much worthy as a daily driver. Hell, there were some people today getting an OTA but for some reason, Samsung pulled it.

Sent from my Nexus S

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
My T-Mobile Rep tells me this month, if not... a lot of people won't buy the next Galaxy S line. I have Froyo in my Vibrant, it works, maybe not the best, but it works... and when I consider the fact that this was an update that was leaked, a month ago... I really start to think.... "it's already great, but if this isn't the finished product, then I could imagine it will be much faster when it is ready for Prime time". Trust me, the froyo update of last month, was very much worthy as a daily driver. Hell, there were some people today getting an OTA but for some reason, Samsung pulled it.

Sent from my Nexus S

Ill buy the next line , that screen is going to be pretty damn wicked. and if it works aswell as my fascinate ill be happy

aabritt

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I agree that most people probably wont buy the Samsung line either (including myself) if the Froyo update isnt released soon. Ive had my Vibrant since September 30th and although its a great phone, I'm still disappointed in the way its been marketed with Samsung and T-Mobile.

Who do you blame? Do you blame Samsung for releasing such a great device, which has become a popular device or do you blame T-Mobile? Initially I was blaming Samsung, however, after reading several forums and learning the "release of software/code" from the manufacturers to carriers, it would seem that blame can only be placed in the hands of T-Mobile.

As a subscriber with T-Mobile I have no qualms about the service or the prices. Store reps are very helpful if and whenever I go into the store as well as customer service reps if I have an issue and have to phone in. On the other hand, the one major QUALM i have with T-Mobile (if its true) is about them holding out or should I say, delaying the release for whatever reason of Froyo. I understand that these things take time, but promise after promise after promise, has gotten old fairly quickly.

Stock android seems to be the way to go if this is how it is going to be with Samsung. I can't blame other manufacturers as it seems from hearing from others that they have received their updates in a timely manner and very seemlessly at that without any issues before, during, or after the process. However, if the update comes directly from Google (not saying that the almighty G couldnt have a hiccup or two here and there) that the updates would roll out as they should.

Someone should be on top of these issues because a line like the Samsung Galaxy S devices appears to be Samsung's greatest (imo), but so far there are lots of disappointed customers (including myself) who feel left out, especially with Gingerbread now just getting released.

Sorry for rambling on.....just thoughts on my mind. :mad:

Daedalus

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Ok you guys are blaming the Carriers but lets look at it this way, the Leaked version are not ready to go live period end of statement they have bugs in it.

Second reason why I do not believe this is a carrier issues is if anyone of them had a working Froyo version they would be attempting to release it before everyone else, this way they can rub it in everyone else's face.

So the common denominator in all these issues is Samsung and the bug builds they have released and that have been leaked, They are not making it out of carrier testing and their for not being released to the public.

And I think it is going to be further delayed due to the issues with Froyo in Canada.

aabritt

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok you guys are blaming the Carriers but lets look at it this way, the Leaked version are not ready to go live period end of statement they have bugs in it.

Second reason why I do not believe this is a carrier issues is if anyone of them had a working Froyo version they would be attempting to release it before everyone else, this way they can rub it in everyone else's face.

So the common denominator in all these issues is Samsung and the bug builds they have released and that have been leaked, They are not making it out of carrier testing and their for not being released to the public.

And I think it is going to be further delayed due to the issues with Froyo in Canada.

You could be right, however someone needs to get on this STAT (ASAP) because how can such a great line of phones (Samsung Galaxy S line) go thru lies and promise after promise about receiving an update. I mean if the manufacturers release the software to the carriers, how hard is it too add your bloatware to it (i mean im not up on coding or nothing), but if Manufacture A has released their stable update to Carrier B - and Carrier B decides to add (unnecessary) bloatware to it before being pushed out to their customers - who's to blame.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
The bugs are to be blamed on Samsung, yes. But, the carriers are who ultimately releases the update, not Samsung. What irks me is when people say Samsung is leaving them behind, no, they're not. Samsung has released countless builds for testing throughout the last month or so. Samsung has clearly been working hard on a Froyo build that is stable and as bug-free as possible. Some people are just never satisfied, when we do get Froyo, then it'll be "WHERE'S MY GINGERBREAD?!"

_Zguy__

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
The bugs are to be blamed on Samsung, yes. But, the carriers are who ultimately releases the update, not Samsung. What irks me is when people say Samsung is leaving them behind, no, they're not. Samsung has released countless builds for testing throughout the last month or so. Samsung has clearly been working hard on a Froyo build that is stable and as bug-free as possible. Some people are just never satisfied, when we do get Froyo, then it'll be "WHERE'S MY GINGERBREAD?!"

But then the question is why cant samsung make a bug free stable version of froyo they should have had that this summer

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
But then the question is why cant samsung make a bug free stable version of froyo they should have had that this summer

Your guess is as good as mine, I wish I had a good answer for you, but I don't. All I know is Samsung is, and has been working on a bug-free Froyo build. It's frustrating, but they're not "leaving us in the dust"

Daedalus

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site

I would have to agree with you there. I am so tired of hearing people ***** about not having Froyo, if you want Froyo so bad get a custom ROM... the the version the Bell was using and smoke your damn phone.

My phone is working right now I would like to keep it that way so I can wait for someone to get a WORKING version out.

Countbunny

May 28, 2010
Visit site
So the carriers are all in collusion to not release Android 2.2 to it's customers because? Seriously!!! Samsung is the problem here people. Crappy Touchwiz coding to go with some bad chipset issues. Galaxy S phones in summation.
The best thing that the carriers and Samsung have going for them right now is that the average consumer does not know the difference.

bkirraman

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Because when we do get froyo everyone else will already have gingerbread. Them they will tell us countless times "next month next month next month." No matter who is at fault for not getting it to us, it is a little rediculous. Guess what, everything has a couple bugs so stop trying to "perfect" it. Give it to us then update as needed like they've always done with htc and the like.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Because when we do get froyo everyone else will already have gingerbread. Them they will tell us countless times "next month next month next month." No matter who is at fault for not getting it to us, it is a little rediculous. Guess what, everything has a couple bugs so stop trying to "perfect" it. Give it to us then update as needed like they've always done with htc and the like.

I think that logic is a little reckless. Reason being, because what's worse for Samsung and the customers, an overly buggy disastrous release of an OS or no release at all? Come on, you can't knock them for trying to make the experience as perfect as possible.

bkirraman

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I think that logic is a little reckless. Reason being, because what's worse for Samsung and the customers, an overly buggy disastrous release of an OS or no release at all? Come on, you can't knock them for trying to make the experience as perfect as possible.
no i agree an overall buggy system is counter productive but why have do many others been able to get it without trashing their system? Do we just have a bunch of tards working for us? I don't blame them for trying to make a killer system, just taking so long after others have been released months ago. I'm just saying stop trying to make it perfect cuz it will never happen.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I have a Samsung Vibrant, on Froyo. It works great.... its a leak and it works just fine. Its the Carriers. The Captivate had a leak what? Two months ago? It was very stable etc. Its the carriers just not treating these devices as flag ship devices, they don't care about it as much as their Evo or Droid X, or their MyTouch 4g. Its the carriers and what they want to do, not Samsung. All Galaxy S devices have Froyo in the UK. We are all just assuming it's Samsung because it has Samsungs name plastered all over the device.

Sent from my Nexus S

strikethree

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site

If you think about it, it was Samsung's choice not to go with stock -- they just had to put in their own modified version.

Even if they had already handed the code out to carriers (which we are not sure for certain since they could be still working out bugs) it has been how long since froyo was released? What ever happened to that October/November promise? It shouldn't take 5-6 months to update your top phones. I realize every carrier has different phones and need different coding but again, why not stock android?

If you can't update in a timely matter then use stock Android. Why alter something that isn't too bad to begin with?

That's why I won't buy anyone more Samsung phones and that's why they deserve to get complaints.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary