Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    4,141 Global Posts

Default [VIBRANT FROYO] The official update thread

Froyo for the Vibrant is supposed to start pushing out today. Presumably the initial batch will be pretty small. If you get it, sound off here! If you don't have it yet, keep yer trap shut.

Oh, and a reminder that where you live/are has nothing to do with when you get the update.

..... crickets.... lol.

no firmware update found

...continuing crickets.....

Did he say no update no comment? Slapping your hands..
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

Got mine this morning through keis mini! Dunno if it's on OTA - and yes - it is KA6 - which is weird because KA7 just leaked out - but what the hell...

Jack
    Samsungian

ROM
    stock/stock, stock/stock

Default and....

Froyo available through Kies Mini....

yfrog Fullsize - 2nwxl.jpg

....GO!!!!

What is this keis thing? Keep hearing about it but no one ever explains it. Is it the software that Samsung uses to push the OTA through or something?
    Samsungian

ROM
    stock/stock, stock/stock

Quote Originally Posted by beandon View Post
    What is this keis thing? Keep hearing about it but no one ever explains it. Is it the software that Samsung uses to push the OTA through or something?
    yes it is. you can download it from samsungs website. For the Vibrant is Kies Mini.
    Thanked by:

Ok so im assuming then that i am doing the process wrong by going through settings>software update to check for the update?
    Cause every time I choose the option it keeps saying 'No Firmware"

Do I need to use this Kies thing to do the update?
    And is it an app for the device or a program for a computer?
    Samsungian

ROM
    stock/stock, stock/stock

Quote Originally Posted by beandon View Post
    Ok so im assuming then that i am doing the process wrong by going through settings>software update to check for the update?
    Cause every time I choose the option it keeps saying 'No Firmware"

Do I need to use this Kies thing to do the update?
    And is it an app for the device or a program for a computer?
    I think going through to phone to search for updates is for OTA updates, and so from what i read its only available through kies at the moment.

To get the update now, you have to use Kies Mini. Its a program for the computer. Search XDA-developers for a direct link to download it. Once downloaded, open it, then on your phone go to setting>applications>usb settings and put ask on connection, you could just put kies but idk, i put ask on connection lol. Then Kies will read your phone, tell you theres an update and you can choose to update or not.
    Thanked by:

I see, thank you very much for your help, it'll be a while until i get access to a computer that i can make this happen with. Was hoping that it would be done directly through the device, but i guess not.

If anyone knows of a way to do it straight through the device, please let me know.

Global Posts
    618 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

Have other vibrant updates been done through kies? Seems kind of strange, I bet most users will never even know this is available.

Ok - so I've got kies mini installed, and when I connect my phone, it detects it, but says for Firmware version "Unregistered device". Anybody got any suggestions?

Global Posts
    2,183 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius360 View Post
    Have other vibrant updates been done through kies? Seems kind of strange, I bet most users will never even know this is available.
    All of the Samsung Froyo updates here in Canada went through Kies. The diffrence here is that I don't have to be personally notified that there is an update. Samsung just posted on their website that froyo is available for all of Telus users( they then announced that Froyo is avaible for Bell "" Rogers ""). All I did was to open kies and plug in my phone-installed the 2.2.

Global Posts
    2,183 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

Quote Originally Posted by StabMasterArson View Post
    Ok - so I've got kies mini installed, and when I connect my phone, it detects it, but says for Firmware version "Unregistered device". Anybody got any suggestions?
    Did you download the latest drivers for your vibrant? If not see if that works.

What new features have you've seen?
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Global Posts
    4,141 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StabMasterArson View Post
    Grrrrrrr. You're in good company. I'm dealing with that, too. :-/

Did you guys download the drivers from Samsung's official website? If not try here:
    Samsung

It seemed to recognize my device with USB Debugging ON. Try that?

It says its updating now. Wish me luck!...

Kies is tempermental - try reconnecting the device. Also, make sure that you have the option set under "what would you like to do under USB connect" to "choose" so you can pick the "Keis" option there - I had to connect and reconnect several times this morning to get it to recognize my phone.

End conclusion - Keis is Cancer

Jack
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Global Posts
    4,141 Global Posts

I keep staring at it, waiting for something to happen ...
    Samsungian

ROM
    stock/stock, stock/stock

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius360 View Post
    The JI6 eclair update was done through both OTA and Kies. I did mine through kies because it was taking forever for me to get the JI6 update OTA.

Global Posts
    2,183 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post
    I keep staring at it, waiting for something to happen ...
    Phil are you on a windows 64 bit computer? If you have a 32 bit pc-use that one instead, kies should run better. Plus don't forget the drivers.

I ran to the same problem as well.
    Last edited by Ronindan; 01-21-2011 at 02:39 PM.

Worked great for me! Whoop whoop! Thanks kies mini!
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Global Posts
    4,141 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ronindan View Post
    Phil are you on a windows 64 bit computer? If you have a 32 bit pc-use that one instead, kies should run better. Plus don't forget the drivers.

I ran to same problem as well.
    It sees the phone just fine. Problem is it sees it as an "unrecognized device."

ROM
    Stock Rooted MA7 TW ROM

Nothing happens at ALL when I connect my phone in Samsung Kies mode or ANY mode at all. ???
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast