Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Problem after installing the wrong Voodoo version

    My brother and I both have a Vibrant. He broke his so I loaned him mine for a week. While he had mine (which I've upgraded to 2.2), he installed Android 2.1 Voodoo 4 on it. Little to say, after rebooting, the phone wasn't booting past the boot screen.

    I've now followed some instructions from the forum, and have reflashed my phone with Eugene's non-bricking ROM through Odin, and then the phone boots up just fine. However, if I try to install any apps through the Android Market, I am told they can't be loaded due to not having enough free space - though I have over 1GB. I have a feeling that only a small area of the drive was reformatted to EXT4 (Voodoo) formatting, and it can't see the rest.

    To try and remedy this, I've reflashed my device back to the stock firmware and repartitioned through ODIN. Now however, when I boot the phone, I get the T Mobile and Galaxy S bootup screens, and then the phone goes black with no lights on.

    Can anyone help me recover my phone?
  2. #2  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,644 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman90 View Post
    My brother and I both have a Vibrant. He broke his so I loaned him mine for a week. While he had mine (which I've upgraded to 2.2), he installed Android 2.1 Voodoo 4 on it. Little to say, after rebooting, the phone wasn't booting past the boot screen.

    I've now followed some instructions from the forum, and have reflashed my phone with Eugene's non-bricking ROM through Odin, and then the phone boots up just fine. However, if I try to install any apps through the Android Market, I am told they can't be loaded due to not having enough free space - though I have over 1GB. I have a feeling that only a small area of the drive was reformatted to EXT4 (Voodoo) formatting, and it can't see the rest.

    To try and remedy this, I've reflashed my device back to the stock firmware and repartitioned through ODIN. Now however, when I boot the phone, I get the T Mobile and Galaxy S bootup screens, and then the phone goes black with no lights on.

    Can anyone help me recover my phone?
    try to flash again through odin but dont choose to repartition
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default

    If I don't repartition, do I even need to load the PIT file, or can I just load the PDA .tar?
  4. #4  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,644 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman90 View Post
    If I don't repartition, do I even need to load the PIT file, or can I just load the PDA .tar?
    i would load the pit file for good measure... also can you link me to the tar file you are using i would like to open in and see what is being flashed
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default

    This is the TAR I am using:
    http://www.justanotherdev.slackdev.c...n_20100512.rar

    It's the most complete one I can find.
  6. #6  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,644 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman90 View Post
    This is the TAR I am using:
    http://www.justanotherdev.slackdev.c...n_20100512.rar

    It's the most complete one I can find.
    try to flash let me know how it goes

    that is only the pit where is the tar
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  7. #7  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,644 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default

    Results?
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default

    JFD ODIN Images from Samsung (PDA)
    www.justanotherdev.slackdev.com/T959UVJFD.tar
    MD5:632730f6b637f53e5b10e5cbc8b966a7

    512 PIT File
    http://www.justanotherdev.slackdev.c...n_20100512.rar
    MD5:b5628c8e183fdd8f4c703321ca40e33a

    I reflashed without repartitioning, and still get the same result. Boot screens then just black.
    Last edited by Iceman90; 03-20-2011 at 07:24 PM.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default

    What options do I want to use in ODIN? Should the Bootloader Update and EFS Clear be selected?
  10. #10  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,644 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman90 View Post
    What options do I want to use in ODIN? Should the Bootloader Update and EFS Clear be selected?
    you can do the bootloader update, but dont mess with EFS clear
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default

    Still nothing.

    It seems that no matter what configuration I use, I can't get the stock version to boot.

    However, I have Eugene's "No Brick" ROM installed and working on a limited basis - but getting the previously mentioned "out of space" errors when I try to install apps, which makes it difficult to do anything, including installing CRW to try and load my last good ROM.

    Here is a link to that ROMs .tar file:
    Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo.zip
  12. #12  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,644 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman90 View Post
    Still nothing.

    It seems that no matter what configuration I use, I can't get the stock version to boot.

    However, I have Eugene's "No Brick" ROM installed and working on a limited basis - but getting the previously mentioned "out of space" errors when I try to install apps, which makes it difficult to do anything, including installing CRW to try and load my last good ROM.

    Here is a link to that ROMs .tar file:
    Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo.zip
    that may not be enough to get you back up and running we need a fuller version than that, looking at it i see why its called no brick, its missing bootloader and secondary bootloader files, it prevents a brick incase of a flash failure,,,but at the same time it doesnt allow for full fixing
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default

    Droidxcon, do you know where I can get a fuller version from?
  14. #14  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,644 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman90 View Post
    Droidxcon, do you know where I can get a fuller version from?
    im looking now
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default

    I've been trying to hook the phone up to Kies, thinking I could maybe do an emergency restore from there, but Kies won't even see the phone.

    Please let me know what you're able to find.
  16. #16  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,644 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman90 View Post
    I've been trying to hook the phone up to Kies, thinking I could maybe do an emergency restore from there, but Kies won't even see the phone.

    Please let me know what you're able to find.
    hey do you know how to use adb?
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

    Default

    No. But if you have some tutorials or training material (or wanted to walk me through it via MSN or Skype or something), I'd be happy to learn.

Posting Permissions