Rooting Issues - HELP

xelhabb

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
My friend currently has a TMO Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant running 2.2, Kernel Version 2.6.32.9, Build number Froyo.UVKA6.

We have attempted to root using Super One Click, One Click, and Z4 Root.

The Super One Click waits for the phone and the app does not work.

Z4 root runs through and upon finishing the "acquiring root shell" phase it simply ends and does not reboot. Rebooting manually does not produce the Superuser icon.

The question is: HOW CAN WE ROOT THIS PHONE?!?

Should we flash back to 2.1 or what?

HELP!!!!!

xelhabb

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Way to go guys...LOL

Well, after much research I have discovered the Samsung Vibrant is not a good phone in general and 2.2 on this model can't be rooted.

In order to flash a ROM, you must flash back to stock (JFD Image). The best method is using ODIN 1.3. You must have the Image and PIT file (s1 Odin 20100512) to plug into ODIN so you can reimage back to stock.

Then rooting and flashing a ROM is possible.

For all of you running a Vibrant - DO NOT UPGRADE TO FROYO. It is laggy, freezes, and is full of bugs. I will let you know about my experience with flashing back to stock, rooting, and flashing Bionix onto this PITA phone....LOL. I am thrilled I have the DX!!!

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
2.2 can be rooted using SuperOneClick. Did you install the right drivers first?

Once you get 2.2 rooted, there is a way to modify the recovery and flash a custom ROM, but IMO going back to 2.1 is less hassle.

xelhabb

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
All my research has indicated 2.2 Froyo can't be rooted and is also a terrible ROM for the Vibrant.

Yes, I have the correct drivers. I have Driver Performer installed which obtains any driver you need for anything you mount to your PC. "Super One Click" would not root the Vibrant for me.

Solution: I used ODIN 1.7 to flash Eclair 2.1 back onto the Vibrant. 2.1 is far more stable than 2.2 on the Vibrant. Sadly Froyo in the Vibrant is a complete downgrade and abysmal failure IMO. I then was able to root the Vibrant Z4 Root with no issue. I then used the free ROM Manager from the Android Market to run Clockwork Recovery and obtain the Update.Zip file. I dropped that and the Bionix ROM on the root of my SD card. I booted into recovery and flashed the ROM onto the Vibrant.

Viola, the Vibrant now runs like a champ for my bud. This is the ONLY way to go on TMO Android as the stock alternatives are full of bloatware and run laggy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674