Traveling to Europe and need a roaming data solution

HeyBob

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I'll be traveling in and around Germany, Belgium, and Netherlands in a couple of weeks.

T-Mobile USA's international roaming data rate is $15/MB! That is $3,000 for the same $10, 200 MB plan offered in the US. :mad:

The t-Mobile USA voice and text international roaming is reasonable... but it is like they are back in 2001 when it comes to data!

I don't understand why T-Mobile thinks that everyone who owns a smart phone (like my HTC Sensation) is worried about their minutes... data is everything for these devices and the more the devices are in our lives, the more we need them wherever we go! :confused:

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to have access to data and roam effectively in Europe?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

lmc05

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I would unlock it and use a prepaid SIM card and wireless when it's available. That's what I did while abroad for about a month.

Reactions: HeyBob

DannyAves

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I'll be traveling in and around Germany, Belgium, and Netherlands in a couple of weeks.

T-Mobile USA's international roaming data rate is $15/MB! That is $3,000 for the same $10, 200 MB plan offered in the US. :mad:

The t-Mobile USA voice and text international roaming is reasonable... but it is like they are back in 2001 when it comes to data!

I don't understand why T-Mobile thinks that everyone who owns a smart phone (like my HTC Sensation) is worried about their minutes... data is everything for these devices and the more the devices are in our lives, the more we need them wherever we go! :confused:

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to have access to data and roam effectively in Europe?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

XCom Global MiFi is $15 per day for unlimited 3G data and it will support up to 5 devices simultaneously.

HeyBob

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
XCom Global MiFi is $15 per day for unlimited 3G data and it will support up to 5 devices simultaneously.
Thanks. I have seen this as a common solution.

However, I'm looking for something that is a bit more battery conservative and doesn't require me to carry an extra device. Ideally, I'd like my Sensation to have access to GMaps, GTranslate, and other services while I am out and about in Europe - when I'll be in most need of navigation and help.

lmc05

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
For me, I was in England so I just used a SIM card from T-Mobile UK. I've heard of some more universal SIM cards but it can just be easier to use one from a local carrier.

Reactions: HeyBob

Bukzin

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I have seen this as a common solution.

However, I'm looking for something that is a bit more battery conservative and doesn't require me to carry an extra device. Ideally, I'd like my Sensation to have access to GMaps, GTranslate, and other services while I am out and about in Europe - when I'll be in most need of navigation and help.

I rented the MiFi unit with a French SIM card which worked well.

It does get through battery power quickly (approx 4 hours) but they send you a
back up. You just pull out the first one and pop in the 2nd.

You can charge the MiFi (and its battery) either with a USB cord
or the wall wort power supply, both are provided.

We used it with ipad for GPS, iphone and Android phone all at once.
Coverage was very good.

What did you end up doing for your trip?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante