Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ticojpunk
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Recommend a cheap phone to try on Tmobile

Hello all, my sprint contract expires in Feb and I am really interested int eh new T-mobile web only no contract plans. Its $30 per month for 100 min and then unlimited everything else. I currently have a work cell also and rarely talk on the phone, so this plan would be perfect for me. However. I would like to try and find a good used T-mobile phone to try and see how the coverage is in my area before dropping major cash to buy a off contract phone. So, anyone offer a suggestion on a used sub $100 T-Mobile phone? Not expecting greatness as this price, just basically something with android that runs decent on their network. Currently I have an Evo 4G with sprint so if anything can compare to that for this price, please let me know.

Default Re: Recommend a cheap phone to try on Tmobile

On a sub-$100 phone won't allow you to test out the 4G service, are you in a 4G area? I would try a nicer phone which you can resell if you decide you don't want to keep the service. I got the G2X and am extremely happy with it. You should be able to find for between $200-$250 on ebay or craigslist. I got mine from a reputable seller on ebay for $230.

Don't forget, while it is unlimited data, it is capped at 5G of highspeed data, then it goes to an unbearable 2G edge speeds.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I guess I am not too worried about getting a 4G phone. Sprint doesn't have 4g in my area so not having it at first is no big deal. I mainly just wanted to get something cheap to see how well I can get coverage. I was looking at a few My Touch 3G's on ebay because they are seemingly going for really cheap. I know you said that you bought yours used, is there a pretty good resale value for used phones that are nicer like yours? I know you said you got yours for $230, do you think you would be able to recoup that in the future? My biggest issue is if I got a phone like that and the coverage was just worthless, I would probably look to sell it back.

Not sure how well you could recoup the costs, but I imagine you could find a Vibrant fairly cheap. Also have you looked in the marketplace here on the site to see if anyone is selling a T-Mobile phone? Also do any of your friends use T-Mobile, if so wouldn't it be easier to see how their coverage is as opposed to buying a phone to try out?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Unfortunately, no one that I know has T-mobile, so that kinda sticks me. I didn't realize there was a marketplace on here but after I checked it out it looks a lot more reasonable than ebay. Will definitely keep that in mind. I guess the ultimate thing is that if you can use the wifi calling feature that T-mobile has on a prepaid phone, even if it takes minutes, then I shouldn't have any issues since I am near wifi most of the time anyway.
    Recordist

Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    ROM
    Peach Sunrise 3.01

I'm also pondering this question.

My goal, like you I'm sure, is to get a phone that I can lose $0 on if TM doesn't work for me.

I'd say buying used on ebay isn't such a bad deal. Take a look at completed auctions, and figure out what the selling range is of any given model. Read the descriptions too, so you know what sort of condition gets what sort of money. Try to watch auctions and buy a little less than the average. If you do that, chances are you'll break almost even if you sell it on ebay a week later.

The other option is buy it new and use the return policy. The Samsung Dart is 149. Only 3G, but it'll let you check things out. Also, on Nov 2, rumors have it that the Exhibit II 4G will be in stores. I've seen both 199 and 299 as the rumored price. Hopefully its the former. That would be another good way to check out the service.

Sent via VM670

Global Posts
    281 Global Posts

Full price for the Exhibit II will be more towards the $300-$350 range, so I would expect something similar obviously for prepaid plans.
    Recordist

Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    ROM
    Peach Sunrise 3.01

Quote Originally Posted by lmc05 View Post
    Full price for the Exhibit II will be more towards the $300-$350 range, so I would expect something similar obviously for prepaid plans.
    $199.

http://www.tmonews.com/2011/10/t-mob...on-november-2/

Sent via VM670
    cgardnervt likes this.

Global Posts
    358 Global Posts

I found an HTC Sensation in excellent shape for $300 on Craigslist. Works great and GF is using the $30 plan just fine.

So, did you try it and did you like it. Want to do the same thing. What phone did you get and did you stay with Tmobile. Can't take much more of sprints sorry speeds.
    Recordist

Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    ROM
    Peach Sunrise 3.01

Quote Originally Posted by b737thurman View Post
    So, did you try it and did you like it. Want to do the same thing. What phone did you get and did you stay with Tmobile. Can't take much more of sprints sorry speeds.
    I waited nearly a year but I got the Galaxy Exhibit 4G. I'm thrilled with the speeds compared to Virgin Mobile. The cell coverage is comparable for me as well, both being very good. The Galaxy Exhibit 4G is a very slick phone as long as you throw a custom rom on it. I'm using Peach Sunrise.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2