What happened to 3G on 4G phones?

Astrolux44EVO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I had a T-Mo Vibrant for a long time and to save battery I normally ran it on 2G only. 2G was fast enough to get through the day doing simple tasks.

I now have a Amaze 4G and although the battery lasts all day on 4G, I have noticed that the phone will only run in 2G when a 4G signal isn't available. Did the 4G radio replaced the 3G radio totally?

OH YEAH, when the Amaze or the GS2 (returned it due to the screen issue) is running in 2G it is so much slower than I ever had to deal with when the Vibrant was running on 2G! It takes FOREVER to do anything data related when running the Amaze/GS2 in 2G. What the heck?

Is T-mo basically throttling down their 2G data speeds and forcing people to use their high speed data all the time and effectively making people upgrade to the more expensive 2GB/5GB/10GB high speed data plans??? That's BS!

dennis96411

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
We are actually just using their "enhanced" 3G network, HSPA+. So the antennas are technically 3G antennas, just with somewhat hideous coverage :3

I don't have their "4G" at my house, my neighborhood, my school, or in a lot of places.

mikey3450

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Whether you are on "3G" or "4G" the phone itself will always show "4G". The EDGE speeds are the same that they have always been, nothing has changed with them. If you want to know which network you are really on you can go into the settings of the phone and about phone to see specifically what you are on...

JesseMT4G

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't know why your EDGE speeds would be slower, should be the same.

I went from a BB 9700 to my mytouch4G and when in EDGE area, they were similar.

The rest covered about HSPA+.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

courtneyp85

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
We just got 4G here last summer after months or being told we never would because of the military bases around here. When I'm in the suburbs of Pensacola I still connect to Edge which has always been terrible. Facebook and Foursquare on my Galaxy SII don't even register it as being connected to the internet. I wanted to just ship to Verizon but money is an issue.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante