View Poll Results: Which Cell Provider is Best Overall?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • T-Mobile

8 44.44%
  • AT&T

1 5.56%
  • Sprint

4 22.22%
  • Verizon

5 27.78%
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zorak950
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default [Poll] Which Cell Provider is the Best Overall?

The contracts on my Sprint family plan accounts are expiring soon and I wanted to hear from others what U.S. cell phone carrier people think is overall the best.

Consider:
    • 4G Speed/Reliabilty
    • 3G Speed/Reliability
    • Data Allowances/Price
    • General Pricing
    • Coverage
    • Evilness/Less Evilness

Let's hear it!

I think which carrier is best depends a lot on where you live, how you use your phone, and how much of an issue cost is for you.

I tend to like T-Mobile because it's almost invariably the cheapest of the Big Four, and while its 3G and "4G" speeds aren't the best, they're perfectly adequate for pretty much whatever I want to do with my phone. Coverage-wise, depends where you are, but generally you'll have 3G in any mid-sized city, though you'll find yourself roaming a lot in towns and rural areas. Definitely not great for data if you're on the road a lot. As for the last thing, I don't know what you consider evil in a carrier.

I will say also I think T-Mobile is a fairly straight-shooting company, but I've come to realize that their customer service representatives don't always know what they're talking about, and I've been given incomplete or incorrect information on a few occasions.
    Last edited by zorak950; 02-17-2012 at 03:25 PM.
    Thanked by:
    kcarter3#AC likes this.

Default Re: [Poll] Which Cell Provider is the Best Overall?

Totally depends on where you live. For me the following.

4G Speed/Reliabilty VZW
    3G Speed/Reliability VZW and Sprint
    Data Allowances/Price Sprint
    General Pricing Sprint and TMO
    Coverage VZW and Sprint (Exactly the same although Sprint may be roaming)
    Evilness/Less Evilness Sprint and TMO
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I, myself am a bit torn between all four and below are my thoughts about each of the carriers:

Sprint
    I still have unlimited data with Sprint, but I'm moving to the Dallas area and Sprint is a little spotty in coverage there. Sprint 3G speeds are consistent, but I'd like a 4G option that works. For a family plan with 5 smart phones, I haven't found a better deal than Sprint's.

AT&T
    AT&T is at the top of my list right now because of their dual "4G" technologies. When you're not in LTE coverage (Dallas is AT&T HQ, so that may not be an issue), there's a good chance you'll be covered by a nice HSPA+ network. AT&T family plan can be cheap if you match your plan to your needs. If I put my mom on a dumb phone, it could actually be cheaper than Sprint, but with a lesser plan. I've heard people have problems with AT&T with dropped calls and the like. Probably my first choice considering the Dallas area (Plano specifically). Being able to switch phones by switching the SIM card in/out is nice, especially because you can use a smartphone without a data plan. AT&T hasn't really had any Nexus devices (unless you count Nexus S at BB or importing Unlocked Galaxy Nexus from Europe), but GSM Nexus devices seem to get updated faster than CDMA ones. I'm still waiting for ICS on my NS4G (although I have been running CM9 for awhile).

Verizon
    Definitely the best coverage overall for voice, 3G and 4G. I don't like EVDO 3G speeds or the price of Verizon's plans. I also don't like the battery drain of LTE. When Verizon is VoLTE, I think LTE phones will be a lot better on battery life. Or perhaps they'll figure out how to make the LTE radios more battery friendly.

T-Mobile
    I used to have T-Mobile and I was always happy with them. Their HSPA+ network is nice, but with no news of LTE, I'm not sure I'm ready to sign up for 2 years. Their prices are great in general. One hangup is that my wife would prefer to have an iPhone on our next carrier; although she is willing to go back to Android given the right size, quality, and speed. Also, having a SIM card is convenient, especially if you want a smart phone without a data plan. T-Mobile Nexus devices always seem to get updated first, which is definitely a pro for me since I'd like to go Nexus whenever possible.

I definitely see the pros and cons of all four carriers, which is why I wanted to hear everyone else's opinions.

Also, I posted this same thread and reply in all four carriers. Hope I'm not considered a spammer.

Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    ROM
    Viper 5.8 KitKat 4.4.2

As most have stated so far, it totally depended on where I live. I'm in the foothills and service is spotty. However, AT&T has gone the extra step and put their towers in this area and are less likely to rent out tower space to the other carriers. I now get 4G here at home while Verizon signal is non-existent. Since I'm so far out from large cities, T-Mobile doesn't even try.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk
    Project Streamliner:
    Stealing your info since
    2001 via the NSA van
    parked outside

People only think Verizon has the best coverage because their maps show them to have coverage. Unlike the other carriers who are very honest with their coverage maps Verizon out and out lies. They show their highest coverage in areas where they have no coverage at all.