TMobile or Straight Talk?

danferan

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Any thoughts on which one is a better bet? Or are they about the same? StraightTalk has unlimited voice and text for the same price, but I barely talk and I don't text period (use KakaoTalk). StraightTalk can work on TMobile, so I didn't know if it made a difference which I chose.

Also - if I'm on an unlocked nexus device, will one or the other carrier be faster on OTA updates? Or is that moot, and I should be manually installing?

Thanks!

Last edited:

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi Danferan,

I just went into Walmart today asking the same thing.

ST and TM prepaid are basically very similar. They are both on T-Mobile's network. They both offer $30/mo calling plans no data, and ST has a $45 mo data plan, while T-Mobile's is $50.

Personally, I think it's 12 of one or a dozen of the other, to be honest.

One main difference: straight talk's plan is $5 less a month BUT the phones are more expensive upfront. Example: the Nokia X2 for ST is 79.98 at Walmart. But if you pay for your first month of unlimited* data plan at the T-Mobile store, ie $57 with tax, you can get the X2 for 49.99.

So you see, either way you'll end up paying almost exactly the same over the course of a year. The difference is with Straight Talk you pay more for the phone upfront, but less in monthly. T-Mobile you pay less upfront, and a little more monthly.

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
You shouldn't have to update manually of you are on an unlocked nexus device, Google will send their updates straight to you, no waiting for carriers at all. In other words, you could get your update if you were only on wifi and didn't even have a sim card in.

jim302

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Would 100 minutes be enough talk time? If so, T-Mobile has a $30/month plan with 5GB before throttling.

There have been reports of Straight Talk not being upfront on their unlimited plans... some customers have been warned about (and terminated for) excessive data usage. They don't seem to be too consistent on what they consider to be excessive.Technically, they prohibit streaming, so it wouldn't be hard for them to argue that much over 1GB is excessive.

aokusman1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Would never use straight talk because its hit or miss. They advertise unlimited when its clearly not. They also won't tell you how much you can use without being shut off. I hope someone sues them soon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance