Best dumbphone/flip/candy bar phone you ever owned

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Finances are forcing some downgrades in our home. Smartphones are getting downgraded.

I'm going to go back to a flip/candy bar/dumb phone on Tmobile. Wondering what phone you all look back on with fond memories as a great phone you owned at the time you had it. I'll find a used one once I figure out which one to go to. Wife had an old beat to hell Nokia candy bar that we still have but even that's too destroyed to use again.

Ideas?

Thanks

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Don't laugh, but I loved my Nokia 8290. Going to Symbian, and the 3650 was great. I miss the solid reliability of those...

// Sent using the Android Central app //

Last edited:

olliegrl

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Moto Rizr. LOVED that phone...too bad it won't work anymore. At least mine won't. My dad has a moto flip, real basic. He's had it for about 5 years now and it's still going strong.

sorry to hear about the situation. have you thought about getting a blackberry off ebay or something? at least then you'd still have a full keyboard.

chunkcohen

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Wow...this brings back memories!

The best dumb phone I ever had in terms of dependability was a Nokia 5190 (if memory serves) back when T-Mobile was still called VoiceStream. That phone was a tank and the battery lasted forever. Sometimes, it'd go for 3 days straight without needing a charge.

But talk about super-basic by today's standards: Monochrome screen, limited internal phone book, no texting capability and a lame game called "Snake". And these phones were like $150 or so back in the day with a contract.

I've had a few Moto StarTAC flip phones back in the day on Sprint, too, but those were really flimsy and broke on me all the time.

olliegrl

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Remember all those crazy phones Nokia came out with? The ones that looked like gameboys? I do miss all the fun colors phones used to come in though. I love my white GS3, but if it came in a nice pink or green, I'd be even happier. :p

I got Tmo when it was voicestream. Man...so long ago...

Last edited:

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Remember all those crazy phones Nokia came out with? The ones that looked like gameboys? I do miss all the fun colors phones used to come in though. I love my white GS3, but if it came in a nice pink or green, I'd be even happier. :p

n-Gage? A coworker has one of those (his son had one too). Seemed an ugly duckling, but actually was a nice bit of kit. Way ahead of its time, IMHO.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
It was middle of the road it had some touch screen functions but you didn't need a data plan for it.

Sent from my thumbs with no brain censorship

olliegrl

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
i always loved sidekicks. back in the day you didnt need a data plan for that either. ahh that crappy sidekick 3. for the time, i think that was ahead of its time too.