Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PWC Realtor
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Recordist

ROM
    Peach Sunrise 3.01

Default Best phone for $200 for Monthly 4G (9/12)

Last year I was considering a move to T-Mobile from Virgin. At the time I decided to stay with VM. Now I am interested in switching again.

Back then there was the (sort of lackluster) Exhibit 2, which I know is still available, and the G2X was a decent deal too.

What would you say is the best bang for 200 bucks as of September 2012? New is definitely preferred. Thanks

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Android Jelly Bean

Default Re: Best phone for $200 for Monthly 4G (9/12)

Well, $200 won't really get you anything remarkable brand new.

The Galaxy S Blaze 4G is the king of the stable for their Monthly 4G phones - it's $300, but it does include a $50 refill card right now. So, it's technically $250 considering you'd be buying airtime anyway. If you were willing to stretch that extra $50, you'd be getting the only dual-core prepaid phone T-Mo sells.

Other than that, the Exhibit is the next best 4G Android they have at $180 (also includes a $50 refill card). But like you already said, it's nothing spectacular.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Recordist

ROM
    Peach Sunrise 3.01

Thanks. I ended up going with the Exhibit 2 for now. The $179 with $50 card included just seemed like a really good deal to me, and it's a good way for me to get introduced to T-Mobile coverage/speed in my area. Virgin Mobile is the devil I know more or less. So though they've served me well, I'm well aware of the shortcomings when it comes to service and especially network speed. T-Mobile is still an unknown quantity to me at the moment, so the cheaper price of the Exhibit 2 will do the job for now. If I decide to move on to another phone, I can always sell the Exhibit on eBay without much loss considering the sale price and free $50 card it comes with. Thanks for the input.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    Recordist

ROM
    Peach Sunrise 3.01

Since switching to T-Mobile, I've been very happy. And the Galaxy Exhibit is not a bad phone, but I find myself craving a little more.

Things that stick out for me as things I'd like are...

1.) Faster processor. Even with Peach Sunrise, I still experience some slowdown and lag, especially when running the camera or anything like that.
    2.) Slighty bigger screen. I find the 3.7" just a hair too small. I like smaller phones though, so I really only need around 4" or so to be satisfied.
    3.) Better camera. The pictures the Exhibit takes really aren't that bad, but I'm always looking to step things up a little bit. Also, HD video recording would be nice.

The Galaxy S Blaze 4G is sure looking like a good solution for me. Currently priced at $299 with a $100 refill card, it's basically $199. It seems to really fit my needs, without increasing the size of my phone all that much over the Exhibit. I was eyeing the Nexus 4, but honestly, with no SD card slot, I'd need the 16GB version, and that'll be near $400 after tax and shipping. And I honestly don't really need or want a screen as big as that either.

I figure I could also sell my Exhibit and pocket right around $100, make the Blaze a $100 upgrade from what I currently have.

Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on this move? I don't want to rush into it, but it does seem like it could be a good thing. Thanks!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName 3.3

If you can be patient and watch Craigslist I'm starting to see used Galaxy Nexus phones coming up in the $200-250 range. Plus there is that since it's unlock tethering should work (unless T-Mobile notices and flags your account)
    blackcaneaddict likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    Recordist

ROM
    Peach Sunrise 3.01

Quote Originally Posted by mwilkins View Post
    If you can be patient and watch Craigslist I'm starting to see used Galaxy Nexus phones coming up in the $200-250 range. Plus there is that since it's unlock tethering should work (unless T-Mobile notices and flags your account)
    I'm definitely in no rush. Waiting is never a bad idea. However, I am kind of shying away from any larger screened phones. I really like the size of my Galaxy Exhibit, but 4" would be nice. I use SwiftKey, and when in Tapatalk, landscape mode, I have to switch the keyboard size to small in order to see the text I'm typing. That little extra might be the difference in a case like that.

In any case, after looking over reviews, the one place where I'm unimpressed is the camera on the Blaze. Yeah, another 2MP, but I don't think it's necessarily any better (and certainly not faster (shutter-speed) than the Exhibit. Not from the reviews I've read and seen anyway.

Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName 3.3

Yeah the larger screen takes getting used to but I like using SwiftKey on the GNex screen especially when I set the portrait key height to large.

Another option might be the One S and now that T-Mobile is selling it for free on contract that may devalue used ones more. Bonus there is that the One S is DC-HSPA 42

ROM
    Decks Reloaded,RebelROM

Quote Originally Posted by Ticojpunk View Post
    Since switching to T-Mobile, I've been very happy. And the Galaxy Exhibit is not a bad phone, but I find myself craving a little more.

Things that stick out for me as things I'd like are...

1.) Faster processor. Even with Peach Sunrise, I still experience some slowdown and lag, especially when running the camera or anything like that.
    2.) Slighty bigger screen. I find the 3.7" just a hair too small. I like smaller phones though, so I really only need around 4" or so to be satisfied.
    3.) Better camera. The pictures the Exhibit takes really aren't that bad, but I'm always looking to step things up a little bit. Also, HD video recording would be nice.

The Galaxy S Blaze 4G is sure looking like a good solution for me. Currently priced at $299 with a $100 refill card, it's basically $199. It seems to really fit my needs, without increasing the size of my phone all that much over the Exhibit. I was eyeing the Nexus 4, but honestly, with no SD card slot, I'd need the 16GB version, and that'll be near $400 after tax and shipping. And I honestly don't really need or want a screen as big as that either.

I figure I could also sell my Exhibit and pocket right around $100, make the Blaze a $100 upgrade from what I currently have.

Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on this move? I don't want to rush into it, but it does seem like it could be a good thing. Thanks!
    I like the Exhibit alot. Had it for a couple of months. But, like you, I needed a little more. I caved and got a Galaxy Nexus. Prices are going down due to the release of the Nexus4. When I got the GNex, I just stuck my sim card in it and it was ready. Bigger screen, rooted, all the Google updates (going to flash the 4.2.1 tonight), very fast and smooth. And HSPA+ is giving me close to 10 mbps down.

I was also considering the Blaze. Prices for those are also down if you want to buy used. I got my GNex on Swappa and it was in near mint condition
    TOSHIBA Thrive Pio's Team Baked BlackBean 4.1.2 ROM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 1 (i717) CM11 4.4.2 kitkat (jamied)
    Samsung GalaxyTab 3 (7 in) Deleterious ROM
    HTC EVO 4G Deck's Reloaded ROM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (i317) unlocked Ditto Note 3.1.1 (4.3) ROM
    B&N Nook Color (Gifted to relative)
    Samsung Galaxy Prevail Half A$$ed ROM
    EVO Shift JellyBelly ROM
    Samsung Galaxy S3 DanKang 4.3.1 ROM

I just went through this looking for a phone for my girlfriends little sister. Out of the phones you can buy in store, id say the huawei made mytouch q is the best pre paid phone in that price, $210

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName 3.3

Quote Originally Posted by intoaction66 View Post
    I just went through this looking for a phone for my girlfriends little sister. Out of the phones you can buy in store, id say the huawei made mytouch q is the best pre paid phone in that price, $210

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums
    I'm seeing used GNexes selling as low as 220. At that point the only reason to go with a My touch is if you have to have the smaller screen and or hardware keyboard.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Last edited by mwilkins; 12-04-2012 at 11:11 PM.

The Samsung Galaxy Nexus unlocked GSM 16GB is a no brainer for someone wanting a good phone and vanilla Android ..and its still getting updated straight from Google. At $200-275 on Craigslist this is the best deal for someone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 16GB using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName 3.3

Quote Originally Posted by ztmike View Post
    The Samsung Galaxy Nexus unlocked GSM 16GB is a no brainer for someone wanting a good phone and vanilla Android ..and its still getting updated straight from Google. At $200-275 on Craigslist this is the best deal for someone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 16GB using Tapatalk 2
    I just sold my Galaxy Nexus on Craigslist for $250 almost new with the box and accessories just as a real life reference point.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    4,500 Global Posts
    ROM
    Anthem_003

The GNex is a great device and I've read a lot of good things when poeple match it up with T-Mobile monthly plans.
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa