Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By regression
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Coverage in Memphis, TN

Anyone here in Memphis, TN? I am with Sprint and so tired of the slow data speeds and spotty coverage. However, I don't know anyone here with T-Mobile to ask how the coverage is.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod

Default Re: Coverage in Memphis, TN

did you ever find out? I'm looking to switch to T-Mobile as well
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by fabulas View Post
    did you ever find out? I'm looking to switch to T-Mobile as well
    No, I haven't found out. I am thinking of switching to prepaid and start with T-Mobile. That way if the coverage isn't good, I can switch to another provider next month.

I live in Southaven MS and, as I am sure you know, my geographic area is Memphis TN. I find I have very good reception in the greater Memphis area. I started out as a pre-paid account but found that call forwarding was not supported in a pre-paid account. I use google voice and only give out my google voice number so missed/refused calls must go back to google voice to record them. That's why I'm now under a two year contract. Very good pricing compared to the other company that will not be mentioned ( the V guys if you must know).
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by larrytirone View Post
    I live in Southaven MS and, as I am sure you know, my geographic area is Memphis TN. I find I have very good reception in the greater Memphis area. I started out as a pre-paid account but found that call forwarding was not supported in a pre-paid account. I use google voice and only give out my google voice number so missed/refused calls must go back to google voice to record them. That's why I'm now under a two year contract. Very good pricing compared to the other company that will not be mentioned ( the V guys if you must know).
    What are some typical download speeds? What kind of phone do you have? I work in zip code 38118 and data speeds are horrible, between 0.1 and 0.4 Mbps.
    larrytirone likes this.

I have a Galaxy Nexus. I am seeing 2.13 down and 1.41 up. at work in the 38103 zip code. I live in the 38672 zip code area.
    Galaxy Nexus on T-Mobile
    Nexus 7 tethered to Galaxy Nexus

Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod

I've went to most T-Mobile stores in Memphis and compared my GNEX speeds to the SG3 and with few exceptions the T-Mobile speed matched or beat my VZW LTE speeds.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod

Quote Originally Posted by larrytirone View Post
    I have a Galaxy Nexus. I am seeing 2.13 down and 1.41 up. at work in the 38103 zip code. I live in the 38672 zip code area.
    How is your voice signal?

I have never had any issues with my voice signal. Now we did lose connection while driving to Junction City KS. Pretty much in the north central area of AR/south central area of MO. But we knew that ahead of our trip.
    Galaxy Nexus on T-Mobile
    Nexus 7 tethered to Galaxy Nexus

ROM
    Stock

I have VzW post-paid & T-Mobile prepaid. I live outside of Memphis in Bartlett, but I have ran Speedtests all over. Between October and now I get speeds anywhere from 3275-9920 kpbs down and between 1342-1801 kbps up. The pings range from 84-115. I ordered a GS2 from Walmart. I have found that it keeps its signal inside of stores and on the military bases. (My Husband is in the Coast Guard.) On my Husband's Sprint phone he looses his signal all of the time at work, and he has to walk outside so his signal doesn't drop during a call. I just need to test it at the University before I completely let Verizon go. Hope it helps.

Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBella98 View Post
    I have VzW post-paid & T-Mobile prepaid. I live outside of Memphis in Bartlett, but I have ran Speedtests all over. Between October and now I get speeds anywhere from 3275-9920 kpbs down and between 1342-1801 kbps up. The pings range from 84-115. I ordered a GS2 from Walmart. I have found that it keeps its signal inside of stores and on the military bases. (My Husband is in the Coast Guard.) On my Husband's Sprint phone he looses his signal all of the time at work, and he has to walk outside so his signal doesn't drop during a call. I just need to test it at the University before I completely let Verizon go. Hope it helps.
    How did they compare to VZW? I live in Cordova and get really good VZW speeds in my home. Still switching though.

I live in Southaven MS as well but I have ATT. Coverage is great 4G LTE

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

ROM
    Stock

Verizon is waay faster! I have gotten between 9Mbs & 17-18Mbs down. Some spots I even hit 39Mbs! But there are not many VZW towers over here by the golf course according to Technical Support so I had to get an extender. Apparently this apt complex has issues & I moved here from AL bc of a Military move, so they gave it to me for free.

Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBella98 View Post
    Verizon is waay faster! I have gotten between 9Mbs & 17-18Mbs down. Some spots I even hit 39Mbs! But there are not many VZW towers over here by the golf course according to Technical Support so I had to get an extender. Apparently this apt complex has issues & I moved here from AL bc of a Military move, so they gave it to me for free.
    For basic web surfing, can you tell a difference between the two (VZW vs T-Mobile)? BTW, I've edited this about 100 times.

ROM
    Stock

When doing normal things VZW is a tad bit faster. But I'm going to get rid of Verizon bc for the most part T-Mobile seems to do just fine.

Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod

I have switched my line (VZW) and my wife's line (Sprint) to T-Mobile and have no regrets. The data speeds are more than sufficient. I am surprised by the voice coverage as well. I've also reduced my phone bill by $90 monthly and my wife now has unlimited talk time. So far so good!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

I have switched my line (VZW) and my wife's line (Sprint) to T-Mobile and have no regrets. The data speeds are more than sufficient. I am surprised by the voice coverage as well. I've also reduced my phone bill by $90 monthly and my wife now has unlimited talk time. So far so good!

Good to hear. When the Nexus 4 ever becomes available, I might have to think about playing the ETF for Sprint and moving to T-Mobile. Are you on a prepaid plan?

Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod

No, my wife and I both are on the unlimited everything value plans for $119.99. I have a Nexus 4 and I love it!

19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

No, my wife and I both are on the unlimited everything value plans for $119.99. I have a Nexus 4 and I love it!

Did you buy the Nexus 4 from T-Mobile or Google Play? If you got it from Google Play, did you have to sign a 2 year contract with T-Mobile?

Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod

Got it from Google Play. I did sign a 2 year contract to get the value plans.

I am with Tmobile (Samsung Note 2) and here are the 4G speed - pretty decent. I don't think Tmobile have LTE in memphis yet!

Around 5Mbps - download and 1Mbps - upload
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coverage in Memphis, TN-note-2-speed.png  
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Quote Originally Posted by dapu View Post
    I am with Tmobile (Samsung Note 2) and here are the 4G speed - pretty decent. I don't think Tmobile have LTE in memphis yet!

Around 5Mbps - download and 1Mbps - upload
    I could live with those speeds. Have you been to the Olive Branch area? I am curious how the coverage is there.

Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod

Quote Originally Posted by djs71a View Post
    I could live with those speeds. Have you been to the Olive Branch area? I am curious how the coverage is there.
    It was kinda iffy on 305. I sometimes got edge speeds. YMMV

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I live in Midtown(38104) Memphis TN and the reception is not good here at all. Are there any carriers with decent reception in this area? I cannot use the internet in my apartment and text messages get sent or received late. I am using Boost mobile right now.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Quote Originally Posted by rebuert View Post
    I live in Midtown(38104) Memphis TN and the reception is not good here at all. Are there any carriers with decent reception in this area? I cannot use the internet in my apartment and text messages get sent or received late. I am using Boost mobile right now.
    I just saw T-Mobile's Uncarrier 7 event. They are offering a "Personal CellSpot router" to help coverage at home. You might look into that.

T-Mobile's Un-Carrier 7.0 Announcements Are All About Using Wi-Fi To Improve Coverage - Even At 30,000 Feet

I was with T-Mobile and while coverage was great where I live, as soon as I got a little out of the city, coverage dropped to EDGE or below speeds. I am now with AT&T and loving the coverage.

You might also want to look at Straight Talk. They give you 3 gigs of LTE data (and 2g after that).