Unlocked phones on Tmobile network

fredyv

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello to everyone! I hope anyone out there can provide some insight.

I am on Tmobile and want to bring an unlocked phone (not a Samsung fan and the HTC picks are skim). Can anyone share their experiences of how your phone worked once activated? I know the customer service will not be there because it is not a Tmobile branded phone, but I want to know more about connection problems, in particular data connections? Any problems using social media apps? thank you to those who can provide insight! :)

Pkt_Lnt

yes, that old
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, no juicy stories, no issues you seek. I plugged in my sim and it just works. Works perfectly for me.

Galaxy Nexus / Tapatalk 2

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
As long as you make sure your phone isn't SIM locked and supports the right GSM frequencies, that's really all there is to it.

fredyv

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi

thanks for your input, it is very much appreciated. Just one additional question your response triggered. I get the overall thing about being GSM compatible, but within this context, has the refarming of Tmo's 1700 waves affected you vis-a-vis your ability for your data connections? i ask because the phone i am looking at, either the HTC One X or the upcoming One X+ does not support 1700 but i figure with the ref arming to 1900, which it does support, very soon, it should not make a difference, right?

lmc05

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
They aren't refarming the 1700 into 1900 frequency, they're converting the 1900 spectrum from 2g service to 3g/4g. So basically unlocked phones that don't have Tmobile's 1700 frequency in it then they'll start to run on 3g/4g once the team has completed. Until that point, those unlocked phones will be running on 2g

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
just pop in your SIM and go. also in my use tethering does work on unlocked handset (Galaxy Nexus). Only reason I know is I just migrated this weekend from Classic 5GB with tethering to Value 2GB with no tethering (would have downgraded my Classic plan when I got my GNex in August but plan was grandfathered and wasn't sure if I'd end up going back to a T-mobile carrier locked phone at some point).

fredyv

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
@mwilkins an @Imc05, thank you both for your insights, always helpful. By the way, have any of you (or anyone else on this forum) have heard of any issues involving using the unlocked HTC One X on the Tmobile network? I saw on a different forum/blog an issue involving the micro-sim card not being the right one for use on the Tmobile network?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463