Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default T-Mobile prepaid: hybrid PAYG and PBTD (switch back and forth)?

    PAYG = pay as you go
    PBTD = pay be the day

    I'm finally getting a smart phone (Nexus 4!), and I'm considering this option. The idea is to have PAYG as my default, and just switch to PBTD when I want internets but don't have wifi access. Does anyone do this? I'm curious about a few things, but am finding conflicting information.

    1) How easy is switching, and how does it work? (hopefully both directions can be done on the phone, and without wifi access)

    2) Does PAYG->PBTD->PAYG void gold status? If so, can maintaining a balance of $100 preserve it?

    3) Anything else I should be aware of?
  2. #2  
    PWC Realtor's Avatar

    Posts
    486 Posts
    Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName 3.3

    Default Re: T-Mobile prepaid: hybrid PAYG and PBTD (switch back and forth)?

    Was looking at the Tmo site and looks to me like pay as you go doesn't include data.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: T-Mobile prepaid: hybrid PAYG and PBTD (switch back and forth)?

    Quote Originally Posted by mwilkins View Post
    Was looking at the Tmo site and looks to me like pay as you go doesn't include data.
    Right. That's the point of switching to PBTD -- when data is needed.

    They used to have data DayPass for $1.50 for those on PAYG, but got rid of that option when they added the PBTD option. Now you actually have to change plans back and forth, and I'm curious how smooth that is.
  4. #4  
    PWC Realtor's Avatar

    Posts
    486 Posts
    Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName 3.3

    Default Re: T-Mobile prepaid: hybrid PAYG and PBTD (switch back and forth)?

    Quote Originally Posted by J_dedicto View Post
    Right. That's the point of switching to PBTD -- when data is needed.

    They used to have data DayPass for $1.50 for those on PAYG, but got rid of that option when they added the PBTD option. Now you actually have to change plans back and forth, and I'm curious how smooth that is.
    How many voice minutes do you use per day or month? Only ask because your other alternative is to see if you could cycle between the different levels of PBTD (the $1 doesn't include data and the $2 includes 2g data if what you're doing doesn't require 3g)

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: T-Mobile prepaid: hybrid PAYG and PBTD (switch back and forth)?

    Quote Originally Posted by mwilkins View Post
    How many voice minutes do you use per day or month? Only ask because your other alternative is to see if you could cycle between the different levels of PBTD (the $1 doesn't include data and the $2 includes 2g data if what you're doing doesn't require 3g)
    I only use about $8/mo on PAYG (since I mostly use Google Voice on wifi), so my thought is that so long as I use data fewer than 7-11 times per month (depending on $2 or $3 options), I'd stay below the bar of $30. If I found myself using it that much or more, I'd just switch to the 4G monthly plan. I suspect that if I used PBTD level cycling I'd just hit that bar quicker, though it might be a good option if PAYG/PBTD cycling has issues.

Similar Threads

  1. Switching back and forth from Iphone 5 to Note 2?
    By pstmstr in forum Verizon Galaxy Note 2
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-15-2013, 02:39 PM
  2. Opera Mobile - and Agent switching...
    By KillerQ in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-14-2011, 01:52 PM
  3. easiest way to switch back and forth between web pages
    By stockh#AC in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-25-2011, 02:51 PM
  4. Roaming issues with speed and switching back to sprint?
    By johnner1999 in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-12-2010, 09:56 PM
  5. Paid Apps and Phone Switch
    By ulnek in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-09-2010, 09:55 AM

Posting Permissions

B