Can't switch to 3G

VdM

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,
I moved to the US from Europe with my trusted HTC Desire HD (unlocked) and got a T-mobile 3G plan. When I subscribed, nobody mentioned any possible problem with my phone.
However, the phone is not switching to 3G coverage (remains stuck on Edge) and when I went to the shop they told me it's a problem with my device, but could not elaborate further.
Can anybody help me?
Thanks

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
The bands used for HSPA in Europe are different than those used in the U.S. Most phones sold here will have both U.S. and European bands in them so the phone can be used when traveling to Europe. But I don't believe the phones in Europe have both bands, only the European bands. You might check with your local T-Mobile store to verify this. Perhaps they can test your phone for you.

There is another option depending on where you are. If your phone is currently picking up Edge that means you may have the 1900 MHZ band. T-Mobile is currently doing a lot of national refarming and moving 3G/4G bands to 1900 MHZ. So, it may be that sometime soon you will be able to pick up 3G/4G on this phone.

acreoaeneas

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
There is another option depending on where you are. If your phone is currently picking up Edge that means you may have the 1900 MHZ band. T-Mobile is currently doing a lot of national refarming and moving 3G/4G bands to 1900 MHZ. So, it may be that sometime soon you will be able to pick up 3G/4G on this phone.

Currently, refarming isn't complete, so since he is getting EDGE, he's actually using EDGE speeds on GSM 1900 MHz, not CDMA 1900 MHz. For future 3G/"4G" access (non-LTE) for T-Mobile, a phone with at least CDMA 1900 and 2100 would be needed. If you want LTE as well, you'd also need a CDMA and LTE capable phone with 1700 / 1900 / 2100.