Questions About the Prepaid $50 Unlimited Plan

andoird213

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm considering switching to T-Mobile for the Nexus 4 and am intrigued by the $50 4G Unlimited Talk, Text, & Web Plan. Now, what it says in the fine print is that 4G is only for the first 100MB. Ok, fine. So what I assumed was, after 100MB, you'd be stuck with 3G. Yesterday however, I was reading some article about T-Mobile and it said that after using 4G you were forced in to 2G (Edge). Is this the case?

Also, to those with the plan (and maybe even with the N4), how are the 3G speeds?

Thanks!!

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've heard that it's 2g but also never went through my cap.

However 100MB is nothing for a HSPA 42 phone like the Nexus 4. I am on a 2gb plan because it worked for the slower data speeds of the Galaxy Nexus but I just got an N4 on Saturday and have already used 700 MB (and that's with using Wifi where I can) of mobile data so looks like I'll be upgrading plans.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm considering switching to T-Mobile for the Nexus 4 and am intrigued by the $50 4G Unlimited Talk, Text, & Web Plan. Now, what it says in the fine print is that 4G is only for the first 100MB. Ok, fine. So what I assumed was, after 100MB, you'd be stuck with 3G. Yesterday however, I was reading some article about T-Mobile and it said that after using 4G you were forced in to 2G (Edge). Is this the case?

Also, to those with the plan (and maybe even with the N4), how are the 3G speeds?

Thanks!!

Yes. After you go through your cap on prepaid plans, your speed is throttled to 2G or Edge speeds. The 3G speeds are actually excellent. I have HSPA+42 in my area (T-Mobile calls this 4G, but it's really more like 3.5G) and average between 8-20 mpbs depending on where I am.

andoird213

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes. After you go through your cap on prepaid plans, your speed is throttled to 2G or Edge speeds. The 3G speeds are actually excellent. I have HSPA+42 in my area (T-Mobile calls this 4G, but it's really more like 3.5G) and average between 8-20 mpbs depending on where I am.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, I essentially have 100MB of usable data?

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
So if I'm understanding this correctly, I essentially have 100MB of usable data?

Depends on how you define "usable." If you're talking speed, then yes, you only have100MB of usable data. After that, your speeds will slow to a crawl. If you're simply talking a data connection however, it will remain usable after 100MB. I wouldn't browse graphic-intensive websites, but you can certainly send and receive email, for example.

andoird213

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Depends on how you define "usable." If you're talking speed, then yes, you only have100MB of usable data. After that, your speeds will slow to a crawl. If you're simply talking a data connection however, it will remain usable after 100MB. I wouldn't browse graphic-intensive websites, but you can certainly send and receive email, for example.

Thanks...I'm thinking I'll probably go for the $30 plan with 5GB of 4G even though it only has 100 minutes. Despite that kind of sucking, for me, data > minutes and there's always GVoice calling.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Your other option is the Value Plan. Yes its a 2 year contract but you get both plenty of voice and data. Another perk people don't realize is that Value Plans do qualify for corporate discounts so example I get 10% off my monthly bill.

So example I currently get unlimited voice and texting plus 2gb of data for $54+taxes/fees per month. If I go unlimited it would be $63+taxes/fees.

IMO that's very competitive with the Monthly4G plans plus you get conditional call forwarding which is a no go on T-mobile prepaid plans.

andoird213

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Your other option is the Value Plan. Yes its a 2 year contract but you get both plenty of voice and data. Another perk people don't realize is that Value Plans do qualify for corporate discounts so example I get 10% off my monthly bill.

So example I currently get unlimited voice and texting plus 2gb of data for $54+taxes/fees per month. If I go unlimited it would be $63+taxes/fees.

IMO that's very competitive with the Monthly4G plans plus you get conditional call forwarding which is a no go on T-mobile prepaid plans.

Can you point me to the plan you're talking about? Not the 2GB one, the other one. 2 would definitely be too little for me, I have 4GB on Verizon and usually use 3-3.5

xikle

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/individual.html

If you scroll down you can see the different plans. I'm on the unlimited data w/ 500 min plan for $60+tax/month, but I get about $9 off for a corporate discount. Total a month it ends up being about $60-$65/month with tax. And that's unlimited 4G data where I am... To me it made more sense to go with the unlimted data plan that instead of the 5GB cap since that plan was $5 more a month. The difference being that with the unlimited 4G data plan you "can't" tether while with the 5GB 4G plan you are allowed to tether other devices to your phone.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/individual.html

If you scroll down you can see the different plans. I'm on the unlimited data w/ 500 min plan for $60+tax/month, but I get about $9 off for a corporate discount. Total a month it ends up being about $60-$65/month with tax. And that's unlimited 4G data where I am... To me it made more sense to go with the unlimted data plan that instead of the 5GB cap since that plan was $5 more a month. The difference being that with the unlimited 4G data plan you "can't" tether while with the 5GB 4G plan you are allowed to tether other devices to your phone.

Your area must have fairly high regulatory fees. My plan is $54/month before and $60.39 all in.

I was actually on the 5GB with tethering plan before i migrated to Value but it was also a Promo plan that was the same price as unlimited and it came in handy when I switched to an HTC Amaze (which I got rid of a month later because it was a piece of junk). When I migrated to value the CSR asked what phone I was using (at the time a Galaxy Nexus) and said basically that the chances of being caught tethering was low unless they notice abuse. This makes me wonder if T-mobile knows what percentage of active phones are unlocked/rooted and it's not enough to really enforce the rules.

andoird213

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks...just wondering if it's worth the extra ~360/year compared to the $30 prepaid where it's very unlikely I would actually go over 5GB

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys!

Not trying to steal the thread but I've been thinking of switching from Sprint and I've been looking at different carriers. I didn't know T-Mobile had the value plans and they look like they would work out well for what I'm looking for.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys!

Not trying to steal the thread but I've been thinking of switching from Sprint and I've been looking at different carriers. I didn't know T-Mobile had the value plans and they look like they would work out well for what I'm looking for.

If you don't mind signed ng a two year agreement with up to a $200 ETF it is a good deal for the right use case and IMO becomes a better deal with 3+ lines.

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys!

Came from Sprint. Couldn't be more pleased. Unlimited 4G data value plan. I tried prepaid first and decided to go contact on value plan. Well worth it. I have no worries now. Sprint had the worst speed of any carrier around here! What made it worse was that I was paying an extra 10/month for "4G/LTE service" that isn't available in my area. So glad to be done with sprint. If you can't tell ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums