Coverage in Austin, TX?

gunster

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Finally getting a smartphone for the holidays now that I'm going to college. I'll be attending UT at Austin, TX and I've been hearing horrible things about..well..every single provider there lol.

Therefore, I have some questions regarding Tmobile coverage in Austin (I'm looking at their $30 prepaid plan) for those who live or might attend school there.

Does Austin get HSPA+ and if yes what speed?

How's signal coverage around the UT Campus or west campus specifically? (zip code 78705)

If there's any Austin residents or even better UT Austin students please post your insights with any of the major U.S. carriers.

I mean, I love the $30 prepaid plan as it works perfectly for me and I'm already prepared to break the bank on a N4 on ebay or amazon. However, it'd be pointless if I get crappy signal and hogged on Edge while I'm on or near campus. And as much as I hate Verizon prices..I guess I gotta go with them if they're the only carrier that'll give me signal :/

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I've had my N4 for a month now and I'm pleased with the speeds I get in and around Austin. We have HSPA 42+ here, and depending on the time of day and location I average 8-18mbps. I have not tried it near UT, but Austin in general is good. For a comparison, my wife has a rock solid connection on Verizon and is happy with the speeds (don't know numbers, it's an iPhone and she hasn't bothered installing a speed test app). My old Sprint phone had really good signal as well (both around town and on campus), but Sprint's 3G speed here is mediocre at best and terrible at worst, and LTE isn't technically active in Austin yet. AT&T here is supposedly decent as well; I have no personal experience with it, but none of my friends complain.