Difference between pre-paid and post-paid service.

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Is there any substantial difference? In reviewing coverage maps, voice coverage appears to be the same, while data coverage is drastically different, since they do not allow data roaming (or at least it isn't covered) with the pre-paid plan. Other than that, the only difference I see is that with a traditional post-paid plan, you are given a grace period if your bill goes past due, while with pre-paid they just cut off your service until you refill your account.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
You get conditional call forwarding with post paid (for using third party voice mail systems) plus there's all the rumors that post paid customers get priority access to band with when the network is congested.

If you need more than 100 minutes of voice per month and don't mind the two year contract the value plans can end up bring a better deal especially with 3+ lines.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Don't think I'll really need data roaming. Voice roaming is good for those "just in case" moments. I signed up for the $60/month unlimited plan with 2gb of data. I only have one line, so the price works out to be the same as the value plan. I have no idea why they require a contract with the value plan if you're bringing your own device.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Post paid plans also allow you to use a corporate discount so example I get 10% off my monthly bill.

Also if I burn through my 2gb during the month I can just upgrade to unlimited for an extra $10 ($9 after discount) whereas with prepaid you have to pay for an entire month early in order to get more data.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Don't think I'll really need data roaming. Voice roaming is good for those "just in case" moments. I signed up for the $60/month unlimited plan with 2gb of data. I only have one line, so the price works out to be the same as the value plan. I have no idea why they require a contract with the value plan if you're bringing your own device.

I agree it's odd, but you do get to lock in whatever rate and features you pick for the length of the contract. Technically, prepaid is at the mercy of T-Mobile's whims when it comes to that. They could eliminate the $30/mo. plan or reduce its data to 2gb and there's nothing a user could do except choose a different one or leave altogether*. That's the benefit of a contract.

* Note I don't think T-Mo would actually do this, as they'd piss off a lot of people and they really can't afford to be losing customers right now. It's just a hypothetical.