T-Mobile on unlocked GS3

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Hey, a question. I have a gs3 currently on att with no contract. Very happy w/service but was curious how tmobile is considering I could save money if I used them. Here is what I want to know. Can I unlock my phone with the unlock code that I currently have to make it unlocked, get a sim from tmobile to use the phone on their network and get 4G data? I live in an area (DC) where 4G is available. Tmobile has some appealing no contract plans and they are peaking my intrest. Lastly what would happen with att? Would I have to port my numb to tmobile? If anyone can help, thanks in advance.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S3 via Tapatalk

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I cannot offer a whole lot except to say that you can port the number. I am not sure about anything else but that one I got.

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I cannot offer a whole lot except to say that you can port the number. I am not sure about anything else but that one I got.

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

Lol.....K, anyone else??

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Can I unlock my phone with the unlock code that I currently have to make it unlocked, get a sim from tmobile to use the phone on their network and get 4G data?

Unlikely. AT&T's GS3 does not have support for the 1700 AWS band that T-Mobile typically uses for their HSPA+ service, so you'd get Edge speeds at best. However, T-Mobile is currently refarming some of their 1900 band over to HSPA+, which an unlocked AT&T GS3 would technically support. I don't know if DC has switched over yet, or even if anyone has actually had success in doing this. Check out the XDA forums, they're generally more adventurous in these areas.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Check out this site for user reported 1900 MHz '4G' sightings. There's a search bar you can use

Alternatively, you could get a prepaid SIM (with data), and see if you get a 3G/H+ indicator on the phone. You'll need to get your phone unlocked, but this test with a SIM will be more accurate.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
From everything that I have been reading it seems I can take my unlocked att gs3 to tmobile and benefit from their unlimited everything plan for 70 buckd a month. Question is, is hspa+ readily available throughout my area? I have been reading tmobile can be very spotty at times. Anyone know more about this? I live in the Dac suburbs of Silver Spring

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Question is, is hspa+ readily available throughout my area? I have been reading tmobile can be very spotty at times. Anyone know more about this? I live in the Dac suburbs of Silver Spring

If someone says that coverage is spotty, they're most likely talking about coverage on T-Mobile's native 1700 MHz band. So their information may not mean anything to you because your phone can't do 3G/HSPA+ on TMO's native band anyway.

You can check T-Mobile's network coverage by using their official network map tool. The only issue (and a big one, at that) is whether this map shows 1900 MHz coverage, which is what you need.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
If someone says that coverage is spotty, they're most likely talking about coverage on T-Mobile's native 1700 MHz band. So their information may not mean anything to you because your phone can't do 3G/HSPA+ on TMO's native band anyway.

You can check T-Mobile's network coverage by using their official network map tool. The only issue (and a big one, at that) is whether this map shows 1900 MHz coverage, which is what you need.

Well according to their "map". I am in a very good coverage area. I guess I will just have to do a real world test.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Well according to their "map". I am in a very good coverage area. I guess I will just have to do a real world test.

Yes do that! Their map says my address is in a '4G' area, but I'm pretty much stuck at 0.75mbps...

If you know someone locally who has TMO service, borrow their SIM and do a speed test. IIRC, a speedtest.net test consumes roughly 5MB of data.

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Lastly what would happen with att? Would I have to port my numb to tmobile? If anyone can help, thanks in advance.

One option if you're going to try out different prepaid carriers is to port your number to Google Voice, then change carriers at will.

I think T-Mobile is boasting something like 47 area have gone through the 'upgrade' but it's tough to find a list. Real world test is your best option.

If you're happy with ATT coverage isn't Straight Talk an option on their network? Also, depending on your data usage Solavei might be a better option than T-Mobile - it was for me.

-M

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I am getting a tmobile sim today to test out their network on my unlocked att gs3. I will give speedtests and network reliability for those who are considering a switch in the DC metro/suburbs

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I am getting a tmobile sim today to test out their network on my unlocked att gs3. I will give speedtests and network reliability for those who are considering a switch in the DC metro/suburbs

I have T-mobile in the DC suburbs (Prince William County) and find that speeds really vary tower to tower. One or two towers can get me around 15 down and 3 up so hoping that we are in the process of being refarmed.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I have T-mobile in the DC suburbs (Prince William County) and find that speeds really vary tower to tower. One or two towers can get me around 15 down and 3 up so hoping that we are in the process of being refarmed.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Cool. Im not expecting lte speeds but a consistent 4-5 up or better is all I need to watch hulu and netflix w/o buffering, plus to save $45 a month would be a win-win

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
This is what I have been averaging around the DC suburbs of MD pretty much since last night. Not blazing fast but enough to do the job, and it will save me 50 bucks a month :)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1358866802257.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358866802257.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 26

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I can stream netflix and hulu all day if I wanted w/no buffering. This is great.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Question: Does anyone know where I can find the apn settings or network configurations for unlocked devices on T-Mobile? I am trying to get more of a solid connection to their Hspa+ network. I seem to be switching a lot between edge and 4G in areas that I should have full 4G. Can anyone help?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc