Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rasbean Jelly/Trinity

Default T-Mobile on unlocked GS3

Hey, a question. I have a gs3 currently on att with no contract. Very happy w/service but was curious how tmobile is considering I could save money if I used them. Here is what I want to know. Can I unlock my phone with the unlock code that I currently have to make it unlocked, get a sim from tmobile to use the phone on their network and get 4G data? I live in an area (DC) where 4G is available. Tmobile has some appealing no contract plans and they are peaking my intrest. Lastly what would happen with att? Would I have to port my numb to tmobile? If anyone can help, thanks in advance.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S3 via Tapatalk
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Default Re: T-Mobile on unlocked GS3

I cannot offer a whole lot except to say that you can port the number. I am not sure about anything else but that one I got.

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rasbean Jelly/Trinity

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    I cannot offer a whole lot except to say that you can port the number. I am not sure about anything else but that one I got.

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.
    Lol.....K, anyone else??

ROM
    Lollipop 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by whodatboy View Post
    Can I unlock my phone with the unlock code that I currently have to make it unlocked, get a sim from tmobile to use the phone on their network and get 4G data?
    Unlikely. AT&T's GS3 does not have support for the 1700 AWS band that T-Mobile typically uses for their HSPA+ service, so you'd get Edge speeds at best. However, T-Mobile is currently refarming some of their 1900 band over to HSPA+, which an unlocked AT&T GS3 would technically support. I don't know if DC has switched over yet, or even if anyone has actually had success in doing this. Check out the XDA forums, they're generally more adventurous in these areas.
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rasbean Jelly/Trinity

I'll check them out

Global Posts
    7,779 Global Posts

Check out this site for user reported 1900 MHz '4G' sightings. There's a search bar you can use

Alternatively, you could get a prepaid SIM (with data), and see if you get a 3G/H+ indicator on the phone. You'll need to get your phone unlocked, but this test with a SIM will be more accurate.
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rasbean Jelly/Trinity

From everything that I have been reading it seems I can take my unlocked att gs3 to tmobile and benefit from their unlimited everything plan for 70 buckd a month. Question is, is hspa+ readily available throughout my area? I have been reading tmobile can be very spotty at times. Anyone know more about this? I live in the Dac suburbs of Silver Spring

Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Check sensorly. Com for coverage

Sent from my PMID1000B using Tapatalk HD

Global Posts
    7,779 Global Posts

Question is, is hspa+ readily available throughout my area? I have been reading tmobile can be very spotty at times. Anyone know more about this? I live in the Dac suburbs of Silver Spring
    If someone says that coverage is spotty, they're most likely talking about coverage on T-Mobile's native 1700 MHz band. So their information may not mean anything to you because your phone can't do 3G/HSPA+ on TMO's native band anyway.

You can check T-Mobile's network coverage by using their official network map tool. The only issue (and a big one, at that) is whether this map shows 1900 MHz coverage, which is what you need.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rasbean Jelly/Trinity

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    Check sensorly. Com for coverage

Sent from my PMID1000B using Tapatalk HD
    Ok. Thanks

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rasbean Jelly/Trinity

Quote Originally Posted by raino View Post
    If someone says that coverage is spotty, they're most likely talking about coverage on T-Mobile's native 1700 MHz band. So their information may not mean anything to you because your phone can't do 3G/HSPA+ on TMO's native band anyway.

You can check T-Mobile's network coverage by using their official network map tool. The only issue (and a big one, at that) is whether this map shows 1900 MHz coverage, which is what you need.
    Well according to their "map". I am in a very good coverage area. I guess I will just have to do a real world test.

Global Posts
    7,779 Global Posts

Well according to their "map". I am in a very good coverage area. I guess I will just have to do a real world test.
    Yes do that! Their map says my address is in a '4G' area, but I'm pretty much stuck at 0.75mbps...

If you know someone locally who has TMO service, borrow their SIM and do a speed test. IIRC, a speedtest.net test consumes roughly 5MB of data.

Lastly what would happen with att? Would I have to port my numb to tmobile? If anyone can help, thanks in advance.
    One option if you're going to try out different prepaid carriers is to port your number to Google Voice, then change carriers at will.

I think T-Mobile is boasting something like 47 area have gone through the 'upgrade' but it's tough to find a list. Real world test is your best option.

If you're happy with ATT coverage isn't Straight Talk an option on their network? Also, depending on your data usage Solavei might be a better option than T-Mobile - it was for me.

-M

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Ask me about Solavei.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rasbean Jelly/Trinity

I am getting a tmobile sim today to test out their network on my unlocked att gs3. I will give speedtests and network reliability for those who are considering a switch in the DC metro/suburbs

Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName 3.3

I am getting a tmobile sim today to test out their network on my unlocked att gs3. I will give speedtests and network reliability for those who are considering a switch in the DC metro/suburbs

I have T-mobile in the DC suburbs (Prince William County) and find that speeds really vary tower to tower. One or two towers can get me around 15 down and 3 up so hoping that we are in the process of being refarmed.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rasbean Jelly/Trinity

Quote Originally Posted by mwilkins View Post
    I have T-mobile in the DC suburbs (Prince William County) and find that speeds really vary tower to tower. One or two towers can get me around 15 down and 3 up so hoping that we are in the process of being refarmed.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Cool. Im not expecting lte speeds but a consistent 4-5 up or better is all I need to watch hulu and netflix w/o buffering, plus to save $45 a month would be a win-win

17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rasbean Jelly/Trinity

This is what I have been averaging around the DC suburbs of MD pretty much since last night. Not blazing fast but enough to do the job, and it will save me 50 bucks a month

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails T-Mobile on unlocked GS3-uploadfromtaptalk1358866802257.jpg  
    tube517 and Citizen Coyote like this.

ROM
    Lollipop 5.0

Good to know that their refarming is showing results. It would suck to be stuck on Edge speeds!
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rasbean Jelly/Trinity

Yeah, I can stream netflix and hulu all day if I wanted w/no buffering. This is great.

20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rasbean Jelly/Trinity

Question: Does anyone know where I can find the apn settings or network configurations for unlocked devices on T-Mobile? I am trying to get more of a solid connection to their Hspa+ network. I seem to be switching a lot between edge and 4G in areas that I should have full 4G. Can anyone help?

Global Posts
    11,780 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

Question: Does anyone know where I can find the apn settings or network configurations for unlocked devices on T-Mobile? I am trying to get more of a solid connection to their Hspa+ network. I seem to be switching a lot between edge and 4G in areas that I should have full 4G. Can anyone help?
    You can find the APN settings on the T-Mobile website, which is where I got the settings in the screen shots below.

T-Mobile on unlocked GS3-uploadfromtaptalk1359417138620.jpg

T-Mobile on unlocked GS3-uploadfromtaptalk1359417152849.jpg

Sent from my SGSIII
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Android Jelly Bean

From everything that I have been reading it seems I can take my unlocked att gs3 to tmobile and benefit from their unlimited everything plan for 70 buckd a month. Question is, is hspa+ readily available throughout my area? I have been reading tmobile can be very spotty at times. Anyone know more about this? I live in the Dac suburbs of Silver Spring

Also (if you're not already), be aware that T-Mobile's $70/mo plan, while a good deal, requires a 2-year contract - even when you bring your own device. I've been considering doing that plan, but for now, I've been fine with my 2GB high-speed cap on the $60/mo prepaid plan because I have the option to leave at any time without a penalty.

T-Mobile has an unlimited Monthly 4G plan for $70 too, now.
    Thanked by:
    TheDonJ77 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChunk View Post
    Also (if you're not already), be aware that T-Mobile's $70/mo plan, while a good deal, requires a 2-year contract - even when you bring your own device. I've been considering doing that plan, but for now, I've been fine with my 2GB high-speed cap on the $60/mo prepaid plan because I have the option to leave at any time without a penalty.
    As an FYI for $49/month Solavei offers a 4GB high-speed cap on the T-Mobile prepaid network. No contract required.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Ask me about Solavei.

I've got an unlocked AT&T GS3 that we recently moved to TMO and I find it rather annoying on their $30/mo prepaid plan.. I work in an office that has tons of shielding and get no service.. When I get out into the parking lot it can take anywhere from 30 seconds to 4+ minutes to reacquire the TMO signal -- OUCH! I pickup Time Warner WIFI broadcast in the area AGES before TMO comes up..

I realize I'm not paying for any 4G data on my plan and with that said, I get a fraction of what I was getting on the AT&T network -- even wit 5 bars and "3G" listed on the top (which is their new refarmed network I gather), I still was getting 0.57Mbps up and 0.10mbps down.. Ugg! This is in the Los Angeles area (specifically near Redondo Beach)... Good thing I'm not paying the big $$ for this kind of service. I suspect that a different phone would work much better on the TMO network -- the iPhones are just not a good match IMHO.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast