1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Would like to use my tmobile phone sim in a tablet

I have a Tmobile value plan with 2gb unlimited data. I am currently using it in an HTC MyTouch 4g phone. When I travel, I would like to be able to put that sim card into a tablet and access my 2gb of data, whether that be web browsing or watching netflix etc.

I know that this could be done in the original iPad, and I am wondering what tablets I could do this with. I would prefer an android tablet to an iPad (and I dont even know if this can still be done with the newer models anyway), ideally around 8" but open to the 10" or 7" versions as well.

I am most definitely a noob, and prefer something that will just work as I am fearful my lack of experience would lead to disaster rooting/flashing/etc.

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

Default Would like to use my tmobile phone sim in a tablet

I know you said you wanted to stay away from the iPad, but for info purposes I've had my prepaid 5G of data, 100 min per month plan on my iPad 2 and it works pretty well. I've swapped the sim between iPad, iPhone and galaxy nexus. The data worked on all without modifying any settings.

Default Re: Would like to use my tmobile phone sim in a tablet

Quote Originally Posted by ucladave View Post
    I have a Tmobile value plan with 2gb unlimited data. I am currently using it in an HTC MyTouch 4g phone. When I travel, I would like to be able to put that sim card into a tablet and access my 2gb of data, whether that be web browsing or watching netflix etc.

I know that this could be done in the original iPad, and I am wondering what tablets I could do this with. I would prefer an android tablet to an iPad (and I dont even know if this can still be done with the newer models anyway), ideally around 8" but open to the 10" or 7" versions as well.

I am most definitely a noob, and prefer something that will just work as I am fearful my lack of experience would lead to disaster rooting/flashing/etc.
    I've read some people on here saying that the prepaid doesn't work when you put the t-mobile sim into the nexus 7, but I haven't heard or read any reports on the value plan sim. Hopefully someone else can shed some light?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

As long as the tablet is not locked to a specific carrier it should not be a problem. The SIM doesn't care what device it is in. The 7" Nexus in the Play Store is listed for either AT&T or T-Mobile. I do not know if that means it is carrier locked or if it just comes with a SIM kit. Nexus devices are not supposed to be locked to anyone, but i would double check. The iPad is most definitely carrier locked.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2

Default Re: sim enabled tablets

I am looking to purchase a tablet here in the Bahamas. The problem with that is we are a little behind in technology and I would like to have internet access whereever I am. We can purchase data plans with the local telecommunications company here that would allow that but they only carry the ipad and thats a little too expensive for me. HELP!! I need a tblet that I can place a sim card into that is not going to break the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by craZDude View Post
    I've read some people on here saying that the prepaid doesn't work when you put the t-mobile sim into the nexus 7, but I haven't heard or read any reports on the value plan sim. Hopefully someone else can shed some light?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD