Question about wifi calling

jimmiekain

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Hi everybody. Can anyone confirm rather or not wifi calling is possible on prepaid T-Mo service?

I called cust srvc and they said yes, then when i went to the store to get a sim the girl said it couldn't be done. Anyone currently doing it with the Note 2 or Gs3?

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi everybody. Can anyone confirm rather or not wifi calling is possible on prepaid T-Mo service?

I called cust srvc and they said yes, then when i went to the store to get a sim the girl said it couldn't be done. Anyone currently doing it with the Note 2 or Gs3?

I would imagine it would work with the t-mobile versions of those two phones. I haven't actually tried though.

pete1118

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
If you bought your phone as part of a T-mobile package (like in Walmart) the app for wi-fi cakking is preinstalled. The app is not available in the Play store so if you bring your own you are out of luck unless they have added it in the last couple of months. I am not currently on TM so this may have changed now that they are pushing the bring your own phone concept more.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
If you bought your phone as part of a T-mobile package (like in Walmart) the app for wi-fi cakking is preinstalled. The app is not available in the Play store so if you bring your own you are out of luck unless they have added it in the last couple of months. I am not currently on TM so this may have changed now that they are pushing the bring your own phone concept more.

As far as I am aware it is not available on the Play Store nor will it be. It takes special software that has to be baked further in to the phone itself. So your only option is to get a t-mobile branded phone.

jimmiekain

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

If I buy it from a t-mobile store (full price without a contract) or if I buy it from someone who bought it from a tmo store. I guess im trying to find out if i have to be under contract.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes it is. I use a combination of Google Voice and GrooVe IP Lite. It will use your Google voice number instead of the T-Mobile number. (Do not port your T-Mobile # to Google Voice!)

I had to come up with this during the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy when the cell towers were out.

You do not have to buy a phone from T-Mobile. In fact, I would recommend you buy a Nexus phone from the Play Store and just get a SIM from T-Mobile.

jimmiekain

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Yes it is. I use a combination of Google Voice and GrooVe IP Lite. It will use your Google voice number instead of the T-Mobile number. (Do not port your T-Mobile # to Google Voice!)

I had to come up with this during the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy when the cell towers were out.

You do not have to buy a phone from T-Mobile. In fact, I would recommend you buy a Nexus phone from the Play Store and just get a SIM from T-Mobile.

Thanks for the info. Funny thing is I have the Nexus 4 from the play store and I'm trying to find someone to trade me for a note 2 LOL. I read in another forum that Tmobile wasn't compatible with Google voice. Are you on prepaid?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
It is a function of the phone hardware. Most T-Mobile phones have this feature because their coverage is so limited. It has nothing to do with the type of plan that you have. You can either look up your phone and check the specs or go under settings ->wifi and see if there is a box to check for wifi calling. If there is turn the wifi on and then check the box. It should connect and a blue balloon appear in the menu bar letting you know wifi calling is activated. If a red balloon appears then that means your wifi is not registered for 911. In that case go to T-Mobile's website and enter the address where the wifi is that you'll be using under your profile. I believe you can put in more than one address.

pete1118

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
If I buy it from a t-mobile store (full price without a contract) or if I buy it from someone who bought it from a tmo store. I guess im trying to find out if i have to be under contract.

You do not have to be under contract, I was on the month to month prepay paln for $30. To my knowledge only phones sourced from T-Mobile will have the app.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info. Funny thing is I have the Nexus 4 from the play store and I'm trying to find someone to trade me for a note 2 LOL. I read in another forum that Tmobile wasn't compatible with Google voice. Are you on prepaid?

Yes, I am on the 2GB of data prepaid plan. It doesn't really matter what plan you are on. Just sign up for Google Voice and get a new number from them. Do not try and port your T-Mobile number over to Google Voice as people have had difficulties with that setup.

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I am on the 2GB of data prepaid plan. It doesn't really matter what plan you are on. Just sign up for Google Voice and get a new number from them. Do not try and port your T-Mobile number over to Google Voice as people have had difficulties with that setup.

Do you mean you're on the $60 2GB plan, or is there a different one?

whatsitsname

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Wifi calling is available on prepaid service. However it will use your prepaid plan minutes if that is what you plan to do. It doesn't use minutes only if you are on a qualify "contract" plan. On prepaid it is only useful if you are in a dead zone. Then wifi calling may help you complete a call you wouldn't otherwise be able to.

You need a TMobile branded phone to have the wifi calling feature. TMobile note 2 would have this feature while At&t note 2 would not.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

jimmiekain

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Wifi calling is available on prepaid service. However it will use your prepaid plan minutes if that is what you plan to do. It doesn't use minutes only if you are on a qualify "contract" plan. On prepaid it is only useful if you are in a dead zone. Then wifi calling may help you complete a call you wouldn't otherwise be able to.

You need a TMobile branded phone to have the wifi calling feature. TMobile note 2 would have this feature while At&t note 2 would not.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

This is what I wanted to find out. Thanks.

I live in a dead zone and will need it to complete calls at home.