Trying out TMobile

anon(18763)

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I purchased a used htc amaze to try out before my Verizon contact us up in June. I then activated the sim and chose the "Walmart" $30 plan (5gb, 100 minutes) and got it up and running. I just had a few questions that I thought about while reading online about TMobile plans and what phone to get to make sure i had the most signal bands covered.

1. Is this plan an accurate representation of the speeds I will get? People had mentioned in other forums that they give network preference to post paid plans and I wasn't sure if it even made a difference now that plans have changed. When/if I do switch I'm likely to get the $70 unlimited plan which is why I ask.

2. Does this amaze cover all the bands that are relevant? I just am trying to compare apples to apples coverage right now. The 1700/1900 conversion info is confusing to me. I will most likely grab an htc one when/if I switch.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
From what i have read T-Mobile gives its pre/post paid customers priority on their network, then the MVNO users get whats left over. SO if your in an area with a tower that has a lot of people, the actual tmobile customers will get faster / more data then the other customers will. But thats usually on crowded towers or towers where data is at a premium.
Ive read on forums where people have tested TMo sim vs MVNO sims and seen small differences.

As far as the frequencys, i believe the amaze is a t-mobile branded devices, If so you will get the most out of your device. Theres a lot going on with the whole removing 2g, improving hspa+ and adding LTE. Also keep in mind all of that is also location / market dependent. For those results its best to ask someone in your geographical region to verify speeds and coverage as well.

I switched from Sprint in January after being with them for 11 years. I picked up a used Galaxy S2 TMO branded and went into a TMO store and got a individual monthly plan to test coverage and speeds. I was extremely happy and made the switch 10 days into it. I have not looked back.

ajonesma

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
For the most part you'll be getting the same speeds as those of us on the Value Plans. But T-Mobile does give priority on their towers to postpaid, then prepaid then MVNO customers for speeds. But you'll still have the HSPA+ 42mbps on that plan.

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
The HTC Amaze is a decent phone with a lot of life left in it. It has a 1.5 MHZ dual core snapdragon processor. And it has these bands: WCDMA 850 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100
GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900. You have all the bands you need to pick up T-Mobile's 4G HSPA+ whether its on the traditional AWS 1700 MHZ band or on the refarmed 1900 MHZ band.

As for who gets priority on their towers, don't worry about the type of plan you're using T-Mobile's towers aren't crowded. The CEO made that clear at his presentation last week.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc