How is T-Mobile's coverage and data speed in New Orleans?

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently with Sprint, but I want to save some money, so I'm considering a switch. I want to go GSM prepaid. I haven't decided between going direct with T-Mobile's new prepaid plans, or going with something like Straight Talk (T-Mobile or AT&T). I like the idea of T-Mobile's HSPA+ data speed and direct with T-Mobile would give me access to their LTE network as it expands.

Unfortunately I haven't bee able to find a good source of info for find out about the quality of their coverage and data speed in my area. I've looked at T-Mobile's coverage maps, but they just show "3G/4G" coverage, they don't separate HSPA vs HSPA+ vs LTE. I've also gone to Sensorly.com, but their maps seem incomplete since it's all crowd sourced. Also, they show signal strength, but not data speed.

The best info is real world info from users, so I hope you can help. Can anyone in the New Orleans area share their experiences with coverage and data speed? Thanks in advance.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Im in Dallas, but what i was in a similar boat to you a few months ago. I ended up buying a GS2 off craigs list with a cracked front glass but still fully functional. I went to a TMO store and got one of those accounts to test out the coverage and see how well signal and data speeds were in my area. After 10 days i ported my number over.
Thats IF you cant find someone in your area.. But i still recomend it as network can vary from neighborhood to neighborhood.

tewest86

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
My T-Mobile HTC One will be here today so I will do some tests and let you know. Also, they were testing LTE here also. I'm curious to see if I'll be able to pick up and LTE signal.

tewest86

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
So far I've been good service around the city. I live in Slidell north of 12 and I still get 4g. My speeds have been ranging from 4-17 mb/s download to 1-4 mb/s upload.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. That's exactly the kind of info that I'm looking for. I live in New Orleans, but I work in Slidell on Gause (for now).

Those speeds sound good compared to Sprint, but I must admit that I was hoping for more, although I doubt that I "need" anything faster than that.

I assume when you say "4G" that doesn't mean LTE. True?

Posted via Android Central App

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently with Sprint, but I want to save some money, so I'm considering a switch. I want to go GSM prepaid. I haven't decided between going direct with T-Mobile's new prepaid plans, or going with something like Straight Talk (T-Mobile or AT&T). I like the idea of T-Mobile's HSPA+ data speed and direct with T-Mobile would give me access to their LTE network as it expands.

Unfortunately I haven't bee able to find a good source of info for find out about the quality of their coverage and data speed in my area. I've looked at T-Mobile's coverage maps, but they just show "3G/4G" coverage, they don't separate HSPA vs HSPA+ vs LTE. I've also gone to Sensorly.com, but their maps seem incomplete since it's all crowd sourced. Also, they show signal strength, but not data speed.

The best info is real world info from users, so I hope you can help. Can anyone in the New Orleans area share their experiences with coverage and data speed? Thanks in advance.

I live in Covington but work in Metairie and I haven't gotten a chance to test in the city but most of the time I'm above 5Mbps and frequently over 10. Just did a speed test in Metairie and this is what I got.

screenshot2013052715364.png

It's not LTE obviously but it's good enough IMO. My only complaint with T-Mobile is bad building penetration. Other than that, they've had great coverage pretty much everywhere I go.

chansenola

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
. Just to see, I went get an LG F3, and 1 month of Metropcs( which is on T Mobile LTE network now) and pulling anywhere between 5mbs to 35 depending on area. Standing inmy tub, I got 3 bars and 3mb. Definitely better than the 312k I was seeing from Sprint. (I got hosed with the Epic 4g Touch =Wimax=DOA,) but even my 3 g is horrible.
Actually tonight I am ordering my wife the unlocked Iphone 5c, and getting an unlocked S4 and throwing them both on a Tmobile no contract plan. Not quite the level of my co-workers Verizon, but 110 for two lines, unlimited cannot be beat.
. A little over 2 years with Sprint, which has gotten progressively worse in Nola. I don't need 40Mb, but I do need to make phone calls and have Google maps load BEFORE I miss a turn.

Bobby Henris

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
i got hosed on the galaxy s 2 on boost mobile( pretty much an epic 4g touch w/ wimax) last year so i know how you feel. at the time it was released it was the best phone for boost. now after 3 yrs w/ boost im planning on switching to t-mobile w/ an lg g2. let me know how the s4 is on t-mobile, i would really appreciate it.

also, where about in nola do you live? im in the marigny-bywater area.
thanks again

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
For your sake, I hope you didn't go with T-mobile....they SUCK! I too was with Sprint, paying a boat load & got tired of it so I switched to T-mobile to "save money".....you get what you pay for. I am constantly in a "no service zone" with them. I live in Slidell but commute to the Westbank (I'm in sales). There are many times throughout the day I can't use the phone because it says "service not available, connect to wi-fi to make a call".....Now tell me how do you connect to wi-fi driving down the road? And it isn't in areas you'd expect....I'm talking about Lapalco Blvd. in Harvey....Pontchartrain Drive in Slidell....Gause Blvd., etc....
Switching to T-mobile was the biggest mistake I ever made. They tell you before you switch over that "coverage is no problem. If you're in an area where there's no service, we use ATT towers & you'll just bounce off them, so you'll always have service"...THAT'S the biggest lie EVER! In sales, you have to be able to make calls whenever you want..... so I'm leaving t-mobile .... I gave them ample time to fix the problem, and all I get is their stock answer "We are upgrading our towers"...etc..... they SUCK!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
For your sake, I hope you didn't go with T-mobile....they SUCK! I too was with Sprint, paying a boat load & got tired of it so I switched to T-mobile to "save money".....you get what you pay for. I am constantly in a "no service zone" with them. I live in Slidell but commute to the Westbank (I'm in sales). There are many times throughout the day I can't use the phone because it says "service not available, connect to wi-fi to make a call".....Now tell me how do you connect to wi-fi driving down the road? And it isn't in areas you'd expect....I'm talking about Lapalco Blvd. in Harvey....Pontchartrain Drive in Slidell....Gause Blvd., etc....
Switching to T-mobile was the biggest mistake I ever made. They tell you before you switch over that "coverage is no problem. If you're in an area where there's no service, we use ATT towers & you'll just bounce off them, so you'll always have service"...THAT'S the biggest lie EVER! In sales, you have to be able to make calls whenever you want..... so I'm leaving t-mobile .... I gave them ample time to fix the problem, and all I get is their stock answer "We are upgrading our towers"...etc..... they SUCK!

The biggest mistake was you didn't test before switching.

It's like buying a car or a house.. You'd never buy it if you didn't see it / test it out right? Same with a carrier.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site

Haven't tried T-Mobile on the Westbank, but I never had any issues with them outside in the Mandeville/Covington area or Metairie. My only real issue with T-Mobile was in-building service. I was constantly either losing service completely or enough that it wasn't really usable when I went into bigger buildings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome