Prepaid to Post paid?

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't like how the prepaid billing is, no usage statistics at all. Has anybody moved to post paid since there is no longer a contract? If so, what has been your experience and what is the difference between prepaid and postpaid now? Any information would be appreciated, thanks!

emburybrett1

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't like how the prepaid billing is, no usage statistics at all. Has anybody moved to post paid since there is no longer a contract? If so, what has been your experience and what is the difference between prepaid and postpaid now? Any information would be appreciated, thanks!

if this is posted right then t mobile doesn't have any contracts anyway anymore so i dont see the point of posting this? Tmobile gives out loans in other words now and you pay a down payment an upto $20 a month. There doesnt seem to be any differences between prepaid and post paid anymore. I know before they removed the contracts tmobile was a mess with prepaid because of them not keeping and call or texting record.

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
if this is posted right then t mobile doesn't have any contracts anyway anymore so i dont see the point of posting this? Tmobile gives out loans in other words now and you pay a down payment an upto $20 a month. There doesnt seem to be any differences between prepaid and post paid anymore. I know before they removed the contracts tmobile was a mess with prepaid because of them not keeping and call or texting record.

The only difference, to me this may be a big deal, is that post paid there is a risk that there can be unknown charges when your month is up. But prepaid is nearly impossible because you already paid for that service.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
You still have to sign a contract under postpaid, you just don't get locked into a given phone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

emburybrett1

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
The only difference, to me this may be a big deal, is that post paid there is a risk that there can be unknown charges when your month is up. But prepaid is nearly impossible because you already paid for that service.

and that's why i'm prepaid myself with PagePlus. I've been with every Major cellphone provider and my bill have never been the same that they told me but with prepaid you pay and dont think twice about it.

but t mobile mobile doesn't have contracts anymore so i still don't get it...?

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I think I will just go with Solavei. It's cheaper and the same service, there are some caveats but I think I can live without those features, if not i'll just go back to tmobile's prepaid.

emburybrett1

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I think I will just go with Solavei. It's cheaper and the same service, there are some caveats but I think I can live without those features, if not i'll just go back to tmobile's prepaid.

make sure you know its a fixed amount of data before they slow you as with tmobile they do the same but have the option of truly unlimited for $70

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
make sure you know its a fixed amount of data before they slow you as with tmobile they do the same but have the option of truly unlimited for $70

Yes I am well aware it's a fixed amount of data. I don't need truly unlimited data because I'm on 95% WiFi. I was on Tmobile's $30 100 minute unlimited text and data throttled at 5GB of data, so 1gb less is no biggie for me. The only thing that's bugging me with Solavei is no support for shortcodes, but they have stated that they are working on it, and I'll probably be alright without those anyways.

demontooth

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
With prepaid there are no taxes and fees and I get prepaid cards off ebay for 28 percent off. So I pay around $52 a month for the $70 plan.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
With prepaid there are no taxes and fees and I get prepaid cards off ebay for 28 percent off. So I pay around $52 a month for the $70 plan.

That's false. Prepaid does in fact get taxed and has fees. Local state tax along with a 911 fee. I do not like buying cards on ebay. Just my thing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

demontooth

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
It is built into what you are paying for the card. Taxes are still collected.

Ok then with the taxes and fees I pay about $52 a month for the $70 prepaid plan. Talking to the tmobile rep I would pay around $80 a month for the $70 post paid plan.

Korama12

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
While it's true that the elimination of contracts across the board at T-Mobile has brought the worlds of pre-paid and post-paid service closer together, some key differences still exist.

#1: Post-paid customers still need to pass a credit check. Pre-paid customers are not subject to a credit check.
#2: Post-paid customers have the option to put a down payment on a phone and then pay that phone off in interest-free installments. Pre-paid customers don't have that option and must pay for their entire device up front or bring their existing phone to the service.
#3: Post-paid customers can roam on AT&T towers (talk, text, and 2G data) when out of range of T-Mobile towers. Pre-paid customers don't have roaming included in their service.
#4: Post-paid customers receive a higher network priority than pre-paid customers in the event that the network is congested.

Note that the disadvantages of pre-paid service also apply to Solavei customers (no roaming, lower priority) on T-Mobile's network.

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Note that the disadvantages of pre-paid service also apply to Solavei customers (no roaming, lower priority) on T-Mobile's network.

Solavei does 2g data roam in "service partner areas." These are places prepaid T-Mobile gets voice only.

Sent from my Nexus 4 on Solavei

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
While it's true that the elimination of contracts across the board at T-Mobile has brought the worlds of pre-paid and post-paid service closer together, some key differences still exist.

#1: Post-paid customers still need to pass a credit check. Pre-paid customers are not subject to a credit check.
#2: Post-paid customers have the option to put a down payment on a phone and then pay that phone off in interest-free installments. Pre-paid customers don't have that option and must pay for their entire device up front or bring their existing phone to the service.
#3: Post-paid customers can roam on AT&T towers (talk, text, and 2G data) when out of range of T-Mobile towers. Pre-paid customers don't have roaming included in their service.
#4: Post-paid customers receive a higher network priority than pre-paid customers in the event that the network is congested.

2 misconceptions here. Both pre and post paid customers can roam on AT&T when out of network (where available). Not sure if either includes data coverage. Also, there is no priority of service issue except if you areon another carrier using T-Mobiles network such as Solavei or Smart Talk.

Bottom line, there are no coverage differences between pre and post paid accounts. T-Mobile is pushing pre paid. They are not about to cripple service.