1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default I have LTE in Dallas

Was downlowading a 1.3 gig file while I was getting my oil changed. I went to check on it 15 min later and it was done. I was like do what? Did a speed test and got 20 down. Never had that.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: I have LTE in Dallas

I'm in Nashville and saw my 4G icon change to a LTE icon a couple of times during the day; coincidentally, I was getting my oil changed too, lol. I wonder if they're gonna flip the switch in a bunch more cities soon?
    "Appreciate what you've got, because basically, I'm fantastic." -Holly

awesome, looks like it's officially rolled out Dallas then. It was specualted that Dallas would get a June roll-out with Austin being the first to receive LTE in Texas...

IMO the LTE rollout has been underwhelming. I've had it in the DC Metro area since day 1 as of March 26, and it's very spotty and centralized in very urban areas here. The HSPA+ speeds are great to fall back on however as it's blazing fast for web browsing for the most part.

Read this:

4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I should clarify. It didn't say LTE. Just 4G. But I also have never gotten that much down. 10 and 12 tops. Now my dad did speed test and he was about 15 miles from me and he did not have but 5 down. So I am assuming to get 20mb down in the middle of the day is pretty good. Has to be LTE.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I have LTE in Dallas-screenshot_2013-05-16-14-24-16.jpg  
    Last edited by outrun; 05-16-2013 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by outrun View Post
    I should clarify. It didn't say LTE. Just 4G. But I also have never gotten that much down. 10 and 12 tops. Now my dad did speed test and he was about 15 miles from me and he did not have but 5 down. So I am assuming to get 20mb down in the middle of the day is pretty good. Has to be LTE.
    then maybe it's not LTE. What phone are you using? Your logo would change to say "4GLTE" on your phone. Perhaps you experienced the reframed HSPA+42 speeds, which is about twice as fast as the HSPA+ 21. Based on your figures you just quoted, it looks like you picked up the HSPA+42, which is blazing fastt too...

My LTE speeds are in the 30 down and 20 up ranges consistently.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I have the Galaxy S4. It could be the 42. Forgot about that. Just figured maybe they just didn't send an update to include the 4G LTE status in the notifications.

Quote Originally Posted by outrun View Post
    I have the Galaxy S4. It could be the 42. Forgot about that. Just figured maybe they just didn't send an update to include the 4G LTE status in the notifications.
    I'm pretty sure your S4 doesn't need any updates or notifications for you to pick up LTE speeds when you're in the LTE area. The phone was shipped with active LTE radios. I'm almost 100% sure what you went through was getting HPSA + 42, especially with the 2 up number you showed

My T Mobile Note 2 had a disable LTE radio that was enabled through an OTA update in March.

There are sporatic areas in the DFW area as they are upgrading and testing the towers.
    3 weeks ago in Garland, i picked up LTE on my Note 2 for a few miles on Centerville Rd. The following 2 weekends i was in the same area and its back to normal HSDPA+..
    I live near down town Dallas and work in North East Dallas, and my Note 2 has yet to pick up LTE in those areas.
    But i have on a few occassions gotten about 20 down on the normal network and am pretty constantly getting 10-15 down with 1-2 up. Coming from Sprint this is awesome..

With speeds this good i can live with out LTE. ha ha ha..
    Id agree with the other users that it looks like you got HSDPA+ and not LTE..
    The big difference with LTE is uploads tend to be closer to download speeds, where as HSPDA+ tend to have great DL and slow UL..
    DropBox lets you sync files across Android, iOS, and Desktop Computers. Sign up for free, install, get me and you extra space! DropBox
    Twitter @AndroidTechGuy and @IAmSixNine
    Google+Google+

Quote Originally Posted by IAmSixNine View Post
    There are sporatic areas in the DFW area as they are upgrading and testing the towers.
    3 weeks ago in Garland, i picked up LTE on my Note 2 for a few miles on Centerville Rd. The following 2 weekends i was in the same area and its back to normal HSDPA+..
    I live near down town Dallas and work in North East Dallas, and my Note 2 has yet to pick up LTE in those areas.
    But i have on a few occassions gotten about 20 down on the normal network and am pretty constantly getting 10-15 down with 1-2 up. Coming from Sprint this is awesome..

With speeds this good i can live with out LTE. ha ha ha..
    Id agree with the other users that it looks like you got HSDPA+ and not LTE..
    The big difference with LTE is uploads tend to be closer to download speeds, where as HSPDA+ tend to have great DL and slow UL..
    yeah, up speeds has to be in the double digits for you to assume you're getting LTE speeds on TMo's network. 10-15 down with 1-2 up btw is definitely HSPA+, not too shabby, not not LTE great either.