yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
My vote goes to Talkatone Premium. To be sure, Talkatone has a free version, and it works in line with Groove and Spare Phone. Talkatone Premium is the most expensive of Google Voice over VoIP options, at $20 a year, but last year, I got a promo which gave me six months of premium service free. I plan on renewing and paying the $20 when that period comes to an end. In my opinion, it's worth it.

Both Groove IP and Spare Phone had echo problems, making a conversation over the handset nearly impossible if I didn't connect a earpiece (bluetooth or wired). Talkatone Premium's echo cancellation works the best, both over mobile data and wifi. Talkatone Premium also offers the option to set voice quality to high on both wifi and mobile data (as opposed to just the 'standard' option for Talkatone free). The Talkatone Android interface is kind of outdated and ugly, but I can deal with that.

However, I should make a mention that if you are trying just to call and not receive calls, try the Vonage Mobile app, it's free. You can configure it to show your Google Voice number as the caller ID number, and I have really not seen anyone beat Vonage yet on the VoIP game. It allows 3000 minutes of free calling a month too.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Looking for the general consensus on the best VoIP app. I've been using Groove, but I hate the echo.

Don't know if you've enabled either of the echo canceler options in GrooVe IP. But the Basic Echo Canceler should remove echo. Echo happens when the mic picks up sound from the speaker. So you can also remove echo by reducing the speaker volume and/or mic volume.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
This is the one I just bought. I have no echo and less delay than Talkatone so far. I need to test it out some more. I no longer use GrooveIP. They have gone downhill since last year.

I'd be happy to help resolve whatever issues you've run into with GrooVe IP. We're constantly working on the app trying to improve it. There's usually a new release every other week or so.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I might have spoken a little too quickly on Spare Phone. The echo I mentioned previously came from using different mic and speaker settings. I choose the VOIP setting for both, and now echo is basically gone. With the echo gone, I am kind of digging this app.
Don't know if you've enabled either of the echo canceler options in GrooVe IP. But the Basic Echo Canceler should remove echo. Echo happens when the mic picks up sound from the speaker. So you can also remove echo by reducing the speaker volume and/or mic volume.
I tried enabling echo cancellation with GrooVe IP. It removed some echo, but not completely. The adaptive echo canceler did not work at all. Bottom line, with Groove, those on the other end can still hear echo, which makes using the handset (rather than a earpiece) to conduct a conversation nearly impossible.

By the way, does Groove IP adjust echo settings (when echo cancellation is turned on) to turn the speaker and/or mic volumes up or down? Because I have experienced calls that did not have much echo but the other person said my voice was too low for them to hear, and on occasion, I would find it difficult to hear them.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I might have spoken a little too quickly on Spare Phone. The echo I mentioned previously came from using different mic and speaker settings. I choose the VOIP setting for both, and now echo is basically gone. With the echo gone, I am kind of digging this app.

I tried enabling echo cancellation with GrooVe IP. It removed some echo, but not completely. The adaptive echo canceler did not work at all. Bottom line, with Groove, those on the other end can still hear echo, which makes using the handset (rather than a earpiece) to conduct a conversation nearly impossible.

By the way, does Groove IP adjust echo settings (when echo cancellation is turned on) to turn the speaker and/or mic volumes up or down? Because I have experienced calls that did not have much echo but the other person said my voice was too low for them to hear, and on occasion, I would find it difficult to hear them.

The echo canceler does not modify volumes at all. Only tries to remove echo. You can also change the mic source in GrooVe IP to VoIP. It's in the troubleshooting settings. On a device that supports that it should use the device echo canceler.

joinmultiply

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
hello,
everything depends on purpose of usage. if u want to use it for private communication, i can recommend Vippie. its free, and all activities between users are free as well.
if u r searching solutions for business, you can try Join which will be update soon. ;)

joinmultiply

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
If you have already a VoIP provider it is worth to introduce softphone solution.
There is one product that can attract you and you can download it for free.
https://www.facebook.com/joinvoip?fref=ts
With intuitive interface, it is combining VoIP technology, expedience of BYOD and functionality of SIP Softphone solutions.
search on Facebook or Twitter - JOIN multiply by Voipswitch.

katylawrence

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi there, I have tried many VoIP Apps on Android here's go the list:
Vox SIP, 3CXPhone, GrooVe IP, CSipSimple and Skype. Some of them are SIP based which also works well. But something that satisfied me most is Skype. It's little costly when you go to paid version but the best part is that you can find most of the contacts and you can make effective Voice and Video calls for free.

Other than that if you are I advice you to try SIP based VoIP App like Vox SIP, Linephone, 3CXPhone etc. Again at certain extend it also depends on your location. Some services offer many bonus and free calls on specific location. So, go through all these Apps and find out which one is more suitable for you.

For reference you can visit Android VoIP Apps blog to detail information.

MADDROID1

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Do all of these VOIP apps work for calls between the US and Europe? I seem to remember some stating that it was free only within the US.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol