Europe travel and roaming data

michko

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Moved from at&t to Tmo last month. So far so good.

However I'm going to Europe for work and taking my S4 with. When I looked up roaming data Tmo charges $15/MB. What I don't understand is comoanies like At&t give you 120MB data for $30 and same with Verizon. Why is Tmo so expensive? And yet it's parent company as you know is a huge European telecom company.

I know I can use local SIM and wifi but for work and sake of ease of my clients reaching me those aren't really an option.

Sent from my S4

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Have you checked with T-Mobile on overseas solutions? Also, whereabouts in Europe will you be traveling? There has to be a solution for people in your situation that need little to no disruption for business purposes.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
However I'm going to Europe for work and taking my S4 with. When I looked up roaming data Tmo charges $15/MB. What I don't understand is comoanies like At&t give you 120MB data for $30 and same with Verizon. Why is Tmo so expensive? And yet it's parent company as you know is a huge European telecom company.

I agree, this makes no sense. TMo can certainly make itself more business friendly by at least matching ATT & Verizon on this. Don't understand the obstacle to it.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Moved from at&t to Tmo last month. So far so good.

I know I can use local SIM and wifi but for work and sake of ease of my clients reaching me those aren't really an option.

Sent from my S4

Just use wifi when your there..
Also, if your calling back to the states. Tmobile has
Free wifi calling back to the states as part of
Their new simple plans

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Just use wifi when your there..
Also, if your calling back to the states. Tmobile has
Free wifi calling back to the states as part of
Their new simple plans.

But that doesn't address the OP's question as to why TMo doesn't offer an affordable data roaming plan ala ATT & Verizon. Wifi is not always available. Need something to fill those gaps.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
But that doesn't address the OP's question as to why TMo doesn't offer an affordable data roaming plan ala ATT & Verizon. Wifi is not always available. Need something to fill those gaps.

I know it's not the same but it is another option to consider. My wife just came back from Japan. She was there for 17 days visiting her family . According to her there was free wifi everywhere in Japan she went. Not to mention her parents house. She never needed to roam on any of the Japanese carriers.

I thought about unlocking her phone and getting a prepaid sim card.

But she never need one.
The Airport, Train stations, McDonald's, Starbucks,
Restaurants, malls, gift shops in the country side all had open wifi signals. Heck... even her plane had wifi but it costed 15 dollars. However, she did not purchase it.

While in Japan,
All she had to do was turn on wifi
And it scanned for open networks.
And connect. She was so surprised how easy it was and how abundant wifi was.

Plus with free wifi calling we didn't even pay a cent for a least a couple of hours of talking and Skyping with the kids.

I'm pretty sure the op will find many places that have wifi . I mean if the op needs a 24/7 connection? Then yes
Look for roaming rates.

I suggest do a Google search regarding the wifi in that area he is planning to visit.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: