Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Default Re: WIFI calling -What is it and does prepaid T-MO have it

Quote Originally Posted by 21stNow View Post
    It depends on your preferences and your account type which one will be better.

Let's say you don't already have a Google Voice number, you have a postpaid account and you want to be able to use your T-Mobile issued number to talk to your friends and family with. T-Mobile Wi-fi calling will probably be better for you, as you would use your T-Mobile number to make and receive calls. Also depending on your plan, you may be able to use Wi-fi minutes on an unlimited basis, regardless of what your plan's allotted minutes are.

If you already have a Google Voice number and are a prepaid customer, Google Voice with GrooVe IP may be a better choice for you. Using Google Voice with GrooVe IP won't use your plan minutes, regardless of your plan type.
    This. I don't use the others so it's very convenient to turn on wifi when I get home and just have the phone use my wifi as my cell tower... Everyone just continues to call and text me like normal. They can't tell the difference .

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.
    Thanked by:
    jdbii 
    HawaiiD likes this.

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts

It depends on your preferences and your account type which one will be better.

Let's say you don't already have a Google Voice number, you have a postpaid account and you want to be able to use your T-Mobile issued number to talk to your friends and family with. T-Mobile Wi-fi calling will probably be better for you, as you would use your T-Mobile number to make and receive calls. Also depending on your plan, you may be able to use Wi-fi minutes on an unlimited basis, regardless of what your plan's allotted minutes are.

If you already have a Google Voice number and are a prepaid customer, Google Voice with GrooVe IP may be a better choice for you. Using Google Voice with GrooVe IP won't use your plan minutes, regardless of your plan type.
    I'm T-mobile prepaid with Google Play Nexus 4. I tried using GrooVe IP (paid version) for the past 10 days with really strong and fast wifi and it is just not that great. The people I am calling complain of echo and sound quality. I can hear them fine, but they have trouble hearing me. I've adjusted the settings, like trying "echo cancellation" and it doesn't help much. Correction, it helps with the echo, but people still complain they can't hear me very well. I'm interested in Tmobile's new "Jump" program, and since I don't get much of a Tmo cell signal in my home I would need to rely on wifi calling, but GrooVe IP doesn't really cut it. Do you think the native Tmo wifi calling feature on Tmo branded phones would have better voice quality than an app like Groove IP?

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    This. I don't use the others so it's very convenient to turn on wifi when I get home and just have the phone use my wifi as my cell tower... Everyone just continues to call and text me like normal. They can't tell the difference .

Which VOIP wifi app are you using? Is it Tmo's native wifi app on a Tmo-branded phone or are you using a 3rd party wifi app like GrooVe IP? I don't get great results with GrooVe IP on my Google Play Nexus 4. Thanks.

Wifi calling is all I use at home and no one's ever complained, sounds good on my end too. When I use other apps like tango or Skype (just voice, no video) it's definitely not as clear.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:
    jdbii 

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by darigaaz12 View Post
    Wifi calling is all I use at home and no one's ever complained, sounds good on my end too. When I use other apps like tango or Skype (just voice, no video) it's definitely not as clear.

Which VOIP app -- Tmo native wifi calling feature on a Tmo-branded phone, or a 3rd party app like GrooVe IP on an unlocked phone? Also, did you have to adjust any of the settings like microphone volume or enable echo cancellation, or are the VOIP settings just default. Thanks.

Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 7.1 / Tiamat 3.3.7

Quote Originally Posted by jdbii View Post
    Which VOIP app -- Tmo native wifi calling feature on a Tmo-branded phone, or a 3rd party app like GrooVe IP on an unlocked phone? Also, did you have to adjust any of the settings like microphone volume or enable echo cancellation, or are the VOIP settings just default. Thanks.
    Just make sure you have a wifi calling enabled phone. I. E s2,s3,s4,
    Htc one.
    Then simply enable wifi calling in your network settings.( I would assume in your wifi settings). Then make sure your phones wifi is connected.
    You should see a wifi calling notification enabled at top of your screen when it is active

On the HTC One it is in this menu

Sent from my Coconut Wireless HTC One
    Last edited by HawaiiD; 07-29-2013 at 04:07 PM.
    Thanked by:
    jdbii 

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HawaiiD View Post
    Just make sure you have a wifi calling enabled phone.
    I don't. I have a Google Play Nexus 4 on Tmo prepaid so I have to use a 3rd party app like GrooVe IP. From what members are posting it sounds the Tmo wifi calling enabled phones work really good for wifi calling. In the future, and especially if I want to get into Tmo's "Jump" program, it is good to know that Tmo wifi calling works well since Tmo cell signal in my house is really bad. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jdbii View Post
    I'm T-mobile prepaid with Google Play Nexus 4. I tried using GrooVe IP (paid version) for the past 10 days with really strong and fast wifi and it is just not that great. The people I am calling complain of echo and sound quality. I can hear them fine, but they have trouble hearing me. I've adjusted the settings, like trying "echo cancellation" and it doesn't help much. Correction, it helps with the echo, but people still complain they can't hear me very well. I'm interested in Tmobile's new "Jump" program, and since I don't get much of a Tmo cell signal in my home I would need to rely on wifi calling, but GrooVe IP doesn't really cut it. Do you think the native Tmo wifi calling feature on Tmo branded phones would have better voice quality than an app like Groove IP?
    I don't use either one enough to make a good comparison, but I would say that the T-Mobile Wi-fi calling app may be a bit better. The problem that I had with the T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling app is that I like to use a Bluetooth device when I talk on my phone. The place that I like to sit when I talk on my phone is close to my Wi-fi router, so I had a lot of interference/noise from using BT and Wi-Fi calling at the same time. Since I have an excellent cellular signal at home, I haven't used the Wi-Fi calling app since then.

GrooVe IP has been fine for me over Wi-Fi. It wasn't that great over the cellular signal, but I was in an EDGE-only area at the time that I tried to use it.
    Thanked by:
    jdbii 

I love my default built in wifi calling... It is all I use at home since my house kills cell signal. It sounds great and I can call anywhere in my house.

I just use the defeat app (below) built into the phone.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WIFI calling -What is it and does prepaid T-MO have it-1375140849598.jpg   WIFI calling -What is it and does prepaid T-MO have it-1375140855999.jpg  

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts

I don't use either one enough to make a good comparison, but I would say that the T-Mobile Wi-fi calling app may be a bit better. The problem that I had with the T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling app is that I like to use a Bluetooth device when I talk on my phone. The place that I like to sit when I talk on my phone is close to my Wi-fi router, so I had a lot of interference/noise from using BT and Wi-Fi calling at the same time. Since I have an excellent cellular signal at home, I haven't used the Wi-Fi calling app since then.

GrooVe IP has been fine for me over Wi-Fi. It wasn't that great over the cellular signal, but I was in an EDGE-only area at the time that I tried to use it.
    Just using GrooVe IP today for wifi calling with adaptive echo canceler enabled (rather than basic) and seems to have improved the voice quality a lot for those listening to me. People still said it sounds a bit like I'm on speaker phone, but not so bad as to be bothersome to them. I'll experiment with volume and speaker levels and I think it will be fine. I am happy that I came across this thread because I had given up trying to wifi call with GrooVe IP. (I am not even going to bother trying over cellular data connection).

Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 7.1 / Tiamat 3.3.7

Do you have a dual channel router?

I don't know. I could check the user's guide when I get home to see if it is.

Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 7.1 / Tiamat 3.3.7

I don't know. I could check the user's guide when I get home to see if it is.
    With dual band routers there are 2 broadcast frequencies 2.4Ghz and 5ghz

Quote Originally Posted by HawaiiD View Post
    With dual band routers there are 2 broadcast frequencies 2.4Ghz and 5ghz

No, I have a single band router.

the native t-mobile option. no adjustments (if any can even be made?)

I love my default built in wifi calling... It is all I use at home since my house kills cell signal. It sounds great and I can call anywhere in my house...
    I am in the same boat, need WiFi Calling all the time at home. I am currently on a $60 postpaid plan but need to save some money, and am thinking about getting the $30 prepaid plan. If you are on prepaid, can you please confirm that WiFi Calling indeed works on prepaid? I keep hearing conflicting things. I don't care that it counts against my minutes, since I don't call people that often, but reliable texting is a must for me.

Sorry to dredge up this thread again but I'm looking for a little clarification. I get the two different scenarios when people ask about Wifi Calling.

1.) Wifi Calling Service offered through Tmobile - uses your home wireless network to route your primary telephone number's text and voicecalls instead of using cell towers. This will use minutes if you have per minute plan offered through Tmobile. This was the case with the old monthly minute plans, I haven't seen a confirmation if the $30 prepaid plan has wifi calling enabled, but I imagine it does and pulls from your 100 minute pool.

2.) Wifi calling through Google voice services - this is using an alternative number through google voice as a second number on your handset as VOIP. Several apps have been mentioned that support VOIP and will not use plan minutes such as Groove IP, talkatone and Spare Phone (all will be discontinued come May of 2014), however normal android integration will allow the google voice app to be integrated with your phone dialer, does this use minutes or data or both? Just looking to see if there is an alternative now before 3rd party support plug has been pulled next year.

Thanks!

ROM
    Stock

Officially Wifi calling does not work with prepaid.

Quote Originally Posted by ramonm2 View Post
    Officially Wifi calling does not work with prepaid.
    Source? I have prepaid, Google Voice and Grove IP Lite and have no problem wifi calling. That will likely change next spring when the Groove IP Lite app no longer works, but it does work now.

And in answer to achiquitachaser, it does not go through T-Mobile's system at all so it does not use data or minutes.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    Source? I have prepaid, Google Voice and Grove IP Lite and have no problem wifi calling. That will likely change next spring when the Groove IP Lite app no longer works, but it does work now.

And in answer to achiquitachaser, it does not go through T-Mobile's system at all so it does not use data or minutes.
    You are mixing up T-Mobile's official wifi calling versus Google voice and groove IP.

As you said at the very end.. It does not go through T-Mobile's system... Yeah you're right... Because you're using Google voice and it goes through that.

T-Mobile's official wifi calling DOES go through their network.. Since you connect to the backhaul directly via wifi. That is what they are talking about in this thread. Note the symbol in the screenshot below.. And how I have no cell bars. That's the official wifi calling they are talking about.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WIFI calling -What is it and does prepaid T-MO have it-1387398678057.jpg  

You are mixing up T-Mobile's official wifi calling versus Google voice and groove IP.
    Yes. Having only Nexus phones I keep forgetting that damn T-Mobile app on the store phones.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2

Except GrooveIP is going away in May of next year:

Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
    Incorrect! G Voice just routes calls through s different number, is not a VoIP service.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
    Actually, it is halfway correct. If you were to download the Groove IP app, and log into your Google Voice account, you would then be able to make and receive calls using wifi (using mobile data requires paid app). Doing this, would give you Wifi Calling without having anything to do with your cellular provider.

Quote Originally Posted by kdepriest6623 View Post
    Actually, it is halfway correct. If you were to download the Groove IP app, and log into your Google Voice account, you would then be able to make and receive calls using wifi (using mobile data requires paid app). Doing this, would give you Wifi Calling without having anything to do with your cellular provider.
    True but I thought groove IP was going away soon?

True but I thought groove IP was going away soon?

G shuts down the XMPP interface in a month and a half. That will affect a lot of apps (and devices) that haven't made the switch.

Sent from my Google Mastoid Implant.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast