On JUMP, do you start over buying the new phone each upgrade?

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
For T-Mobile's JUMP program are you essentially buying a new phone every 6 months, or whenever you decide to upgrade phones per your twice yearly allotment? So if you start with a $600 phone you have $600 in payments owed over 24 months. After 8 months if you jumped to a $550 phone, does that mean your payments and obligation now changes to $550 in payments owed over the next 24 months? In other words, are you basically committing yourself to another 2 years of payments each upgrade if you only make the initial (and minimum) down payment required to upgrade? Thanks.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
This is my understanding of it, yes. The other carriers' get rich quick schemes work the same way.

That makes the most sense. It sounds like a great deal for many, especially those prone to buying insurance or upgrade frequently, but I don't like the idea so much of recommitting 2 years potentially every 6 months. Not too mention it is kind like always having a big balloon payment if you ever leave. I do realize for most people the cost is negligible since they'd have a phone and be paying the money anyways, and for those customers it'd be a steal. But my initial excitement over this has been tempered because I don't think I'd upgrade often enough to justify it..

Posted via Android Central App

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
That makes the most sense. It sounds like a great deal for many, especially those prone to buying insurance or upgrade frequently, but I don't like the idea so much of recommitting 2 years potentially every 6 months. Not too mention it is kind like always having a big balloon payment if you ever leave. I do realize for most people the cost is negligible since they'd have a phone and be paying the money anyways, and for those customers it'd be a steal. But my initial excitement over this has been tempered because I don't think I'd upgrade often enough to justify it..

Posted via Android Central App

I think that it has to be prone to buying insurance and wishes to upgrade frequently. I upgrade my phones often (more often than six months, usually) but since I don't buy insurance, the $10 monthly fee makes the JUMP program a no-go for me.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I think that it has to be prone to buying insurance and wishes to upgrade frequently. I upgrade my phones often (more often than six months, usually) but since I don't buy insurance, the $10 monthly fee makes the JUMP program a no-go for me.

So do you just sell your phones on swappa or ebay for a $100 less than what you paid (or whatever) whenever you upgrade phones?

eyesopen1111

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I got my brand new HTC One several weeks ago from T-Mobile, before the jump program was even available. Even without the Jump program, I got the insurance add-on because it's an expensive phone and I don't use a case.

That said, upgrading to the Jump program is a no-brainer for me, which I upgraded this morning by calling in to customer service. Why not? Who knows what new phones will be available in six months? But at any rate, T-mobile is getting flagship phones left and right, so I'm sure that something may catch my eye.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
So do you just sell your phones on swappa or ebay for a $100 less than what you paid (or whatever) whenever you upgrade phones?

No, I've never sold a phone. I prefer to keep my phones as I get attached to them. I've given one to my mother and traded in some other ones after they got "old" for a gift card from the carrier. I use multiple phones at one time so even though I have recent phones, I'm still using some older ones, too.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
No, I've never sold a phone. I prefer to keep my phones as I get attached to them. I've given one to my mother and traded in some other ones after they got "old" for a gift card from the carrier. I use multiple phones at one time so even though I have recent phones, I'm still using some older ones, too.

If you don't mind me asking, doesn't that get quite spendy and it would seem like JUMP would be perfect for you if T-Mobile is your network. Not for the phones you keep or give as gifts, but if you are trading in phones with your carrier for new phones, don't you have to pay off the full price of the old phone first and then maybe even a down payment on the new one?

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
If you don't mind me asking, doesn't that get quite spendy and it would seem like JUMP would be perfect for you if T-Mobile is your network. Not for the phones you keep or give as gifts, but if you are trading in phones with your carrier for new phones, don't you have to pay off the full price of the old phone first and then maybe even a down payment on the new one?

I don't mind you asking and yes, it can get somewhat spendy! It can get kind of complicated to explain without giving the whole long story, but this is a summary (I hope). I budget for the phones that I think will come out the next year in the fall. I have multiple lines on T-Mobile and AT&T. I don't like to buy T-Mobile phones as much just because I don't like certain things that T-Mobile does as a business. I prefer their service prices, not their devices. I buy a mix of carrier devices and unlocked devices. So this alone makes JUMP unappealing to me.

I keep my devices as part of my self-insurance program, so I don't use carrier insurance for either carrier. This is another strike against JUMP. Also, JUMP requires that the customer be on the Simple Choice plan. If I converted to Simple Choice I would spend $20 more a month on service alone than what I spend now, which is another strike. Also, I don't care to use the EIP for the phones. I just buy them outright and this is another strike against JUMP.

That's four strikes against JUMP so it's more than out as an option for me.

As for the old phones, I keep them until I think that they are no longer working properly. Two of the phones that I traded in a couple of months ago had excessive battery drain (1% or more per minute) and one was just a cheap phone for me to familiarize myself with the OS. I thought that the $100 that I got for each phone was probably more than what I would have gotten on the secondary market, so I went for the trade-in.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
For T-Mobile's JUMP program are you essentially buying a new phone every 6 months, or whenever you decide to upgrade phones per your twice yearly allotment? So if you start with a $600 phone you have $600 in payments owed over 24 months. After 8 months if you jumped to a $550 phone, does that mean your payments and obligation now changes to $550 in payments owed over the next 24 months? In other words, are you basically committing yourself to another 2 years of payments each upgrade if you only make the initial (and minimum) down payment required to upgrade? Thanks.

Yes you will only be on the hook for the new phone. I. E say after 6 months you still owe 320.00?
On your old phone. T-mobile will
Wash the 320.00 you owe on your old phone and you will start at 600 or simply continue your 20 dollar installment a month with your new phone

Sent from my Coconut Wireless HTC One

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463