Need help deciding if I should switch.

hanielserrato

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Im currently on verizon and am paying a little more than when I started. My contract is over but I cant take advantage of the upgrade because I would loose my unlimited data plan. My sister and I have a family plan, She pays for 2.5 of the phones and I pay the other 2.5(we both pay half of moms). So I am looking at switching to T-mobile but I have no idea what the coverage is like here in town. So first of I would like to know if anyone is from Waco, Tx. and what kind of coverage they get.

My other option is unlocking my razr and using tmobile for a month. I wouldn't want to loose my verizon plan just in case the coverage here is crappy so I would have to pay for both verizon plan and tmobile. But I want to know if theres a way I can do this without verizon knowing that I unlocked my phone and used it on tmobile. Can I just deactivate the device and activate another one I have?

My third option is using my nexus 7, but I dont think I can make phone calls through it. I was reading through the forum and dont think they ever got that issue fixed.

Any other options? Any ideas?

AlphaWlf6

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
The coverage tool from our website is almost similar to the tool we use in store. We good coverage in woodway Robinson central Waco and bellmead.

But if you are really worried about coverage we do have the WiFi calling option that's free for our phones just in case you get to a spot were coverage isn't where you like it to be

Posted from my HTC One via Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Check sensorly.com for user submitted data.. Not what the carrier says. T-mobile can be awesome as hell if good in your area or the worst decision ever if it is spotty.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

AlphaWlf6

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I didn't have much problems when I went to visit my brother 2 weeks ago but his suggestion is a great one

Posted from my HTC One via Android Central App

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I've been with T-Mobile for years. I've had very few reception issues, but they have by far the best customer service I've experienced with any carrier. That makes them worth it to me. I'm in the Memphis, TN area.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I live in NW SC and just got on TM with the Galaxy S4 and it's been ok. I get 1 bar at my house, which is sufficient. No problems with calls yet. But at my office, I get zero signal at all - no bars, no data, only WiFi calling, which I haven't had occasion to try. I still have my VZ account active b/c the TM rep said that I can cancel after 14 days and will pay only the the two weeks with the service. We'll see. I'll be doing a little bit of everything I do in these two weeks, so it'll be a good "field test." From what I understand, TM at this point is pretty much all or nothing. It works great, 4G/LTE, or there's nothing. Hoping for more of the former than the latter because I, too, am trying to hang on to unlimited data as well as decrease my phone bill. It's great having VZ's coverage literally everywhere I go (except the mountains where nobody is) but I think I may be able to live without it. Time will tell.

Mister Android123

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I just made the switch from att to T-Mobile. I'm in the Bx, NY though. Service is OK not great and definitely not on par with Att but for half the price its worth it for me.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

hanielserrato

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info o2bnclemson, I may need to talt to a tm rep to see if I can do the same. My issue is that I would need some phones if I decide to switch. As far as I know the razr hd can be unlocked to work on tmobile, but Im not sure if it would get hspa+ or only edge speeds. Would you be able to return the phone also or just cancel the subscription? That would be a good question to ask. I see you tried using a samsung phone, you think their bad radios(antennas) may be the cause of your bad reception? I've always used motorola phones plus verizon, never had reception problems.

Mister Android123, the price I would pay is the thing that is making me want to switch asap.

Anyone know any good motorola phones that would work on tmobile? That have the 1700/2100 mhz radios.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info o2bnclemson, I may need to talt to a tm rep to see if I can do the same. My issue is that I would need some phones if I decide to switch. As far as I know the razr hd can be unlocked to work on tmobile, but Im not sure if it would get hspa+ or only edge speeds. Would you be able to return the phone also or just cancel the subscription? That would be a good question to ask. I see you tried using a samsung phone, you think their bad radios(antennas) may be the cause of your bad reception? I've always used motorola phones plus verizon, never had reception problems.

Mister Android123, the price I would pay is the thing that is making me want to switch asap.

Anyone know any good motorola phones that would work on tmobile? That have the 1700/2100 mhz radios.

The new Moto X is the only Motorola phone I know for Tmobile. I think it's only available through Motorola directly (at least for now)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy