Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Question About T-Mobile & Straight Talk

Hello!

So I have a few questions regarding T-Mobiles' various plans.

I recently switched from AT&T to Straight Talk (with a Straight Talk T-Mobile SIM), and the coverage is TERRIBLE. In LA (where I am primarily), the coverage is OK but not great. Driving anywhere renders my service useless.

My question is: is this how T-Mobiles service is in general? Is there a difference in T-Mobile coverage on their $50/$60/$70 plans and their $30 100min/Unlimited Text/Data plan?

Also, does anyone know if I would get better service with Straight Talk if I were to purchase an AT&T Straight Talk SIM card from eBay or Amazon?

Thank you!

Default Re: Question About T-Mobile & Straight Talk

Your coverage should not be different depending on your plan; I believe this includes MVNOs. Some people claim MVNO and prepaid customers get throttled first, but that shouldn't affect coverage. One thing that might have an impact is T-Mobile's upgrade to LTE; while it's happening some towers may be temporarily offline, and thereafter if you don't have an LTE device you may get less HSPA coverage depending on how they're handling the rollout.

If you get an AT&T SIM on Straight Talk, you should get coverage comparable to what you had on AT&T before.
    tgp

Global Posts
    2,366 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eli Rush View Post
    Hello!

So I have a few questions regarding T-Mobiles' various plans.

I recently switched from AT&T to Straight Talk (with a Straight Talk T-Mobile SIM), and the coverage is TERRIBLE. In LA (where I am primarily), the coverage is OK but not great. Driving anywhere renders my service useless.

My question is: is this how T-Mobiles service is in general? Is there a difference in T-Mobile coverage on their $50/$60/$70 plans and their $30 100min/Unlimited Text/Data plan?

Also, does anyone know if I would get better service with Straight Talk if I were to purchase an AT&T Straight Talk SIM card from eBay or Amazon?

Thank you!
    Is there a reason you're not getting a Straight Talk AT&T SIM card? The only difference is that AT&T service has a soft data cap.
    Current lineup: Nexus 5 (primary device), Lumia 920, Moto G, and Lumia 520. There, I did it; I updated my signature!
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

The only reason that I haven't gotten an AT&T Straight Talk SIM is that they no longer offer them so you have to buy them from a third-party at inflated prices... even though the coverage wouldn't necessarily compare to what I had with AT&T, do you guys think this would make a difference?

Also, if I were to purchase an AT&T ST SIM, would I need to buy a new plan to attach to that SIM card and activate it separately?

Thanks for your responses!
    yes, that old

ROM
    Codename Android / franco

The only reason that I haven't gotten an AT&T Straight Talk SIM is that they no longer offer them so you have to buy them from a third-party at inflated prices... even though the coverage wouldn't necessarily compare to what I had with AT&T, do you guys think this would make a difference?
    No you don't, they are back on Straight Talk.
    Choose Your SIM card
    Galaxy Nexus GSM
    [JB 4.3] [JWR66V] Cataclysm

T-Mobile $30 / 5Gb / 100 min Cellular | CSipSimple + voip.ms VoIP

Kindle Fire
    [JB 4.3] [JSS15J] AOSP for the Kindle Fire
    Thanked by:

Straight talk info

Use your own compatible or unlocked GSM phone on America's best nationwide networks. Select a SIM or SIM bundle to get Unlimited* Data, Talk & Text. It's that easy.

Unlimited* GSM service on the best nationwide networks
    $45 per month - Unlimited* Data, Talk & Text
    No contracts, no bills, no credit checks
    Use any compatible or unlocked GSM phone - including smart phones
    Keep your phone number
    Works with SMS, IM, social networks, email, web
    Micro SIM card size is about 1/2 inch long

So unlimited data? At what point do they throttle and is it at LTE speeds?
    Last edited by gtt1; 08-16-2013 at 03:13 PM.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Pkt_Lnt View Post
    No you don't, they are back on Straight Talk.
    Choose Your SIM card
    WOW! How have I never seen this? Did this just recently come back up for sale?

If I buy one of these, do I have to buy a new Straight Talk plan? If not, how can I transfer it to this new SIM card?

Does anyone have any insight into whether this is worth trying for better service than the T-Mobile SIM card?

Also, any ideas about how service would compare between Straight Talk with a T-Mobile SIM and T-Mobile's $30/month plan?

Thank you!
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by tgp View Post
    Is there a reason you're not getting a Straight Talk AT&T SIM card? The only difference is that AT&T service has a soft data cap.
    You say the only difference is the soft data cap... does this mean that service between AT&T and T-Mo SIMs will be the same?
    yes, that old

ROM

You say the only difference is the soft data cap... does this mean that service between AT&T and T-Mo SIMs will be the same?
    At&t sims came back about two weeks ago. At&t and T-Mobile are two separate cellular networks. Straight talk is an mvno on both, but coverage will be different.

galaxy nexus / cataclysm jb 4.3 / tapatalk 4
    Last edited by Pkt_Lnt; 08-17-2013 at 12:12 AM.
    Galaxy Nexus GSM

Kindle Fire
    Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Okay, well I think that I might as well give the AT&T SIM a try.

Anyone have any insight into how Straight Talk T-MO SIM will compare to the T-MO $30/mo plan? It sounds like it would be exactly the same.
    tgp

Global Posts
    2,366 Global Posts

No, I meant that there's no difference in allowances. Both have unlimited minutes, text, and data, except data is soft capped if you have AT&T's service. The price is the same.
    Current lineup: Nexus 5 (primary device), Lumia 920, Moto G, and Lumia 520. There, I did it; I updated my signature!

ROM
    Decks Reloaded,RebelROM

Okay, well I think that I might as well give the AT&T SIM a try.

Anyone have any insight into how Straight Talk T-MO SIM will compare to the T-MO $30/mo plan? It sounds like it would be exactly the same.
    What kind of phone are you using? Do you know anyone else with TMobile or Straight Talk in your area that you could ask how their service is?
    TOSHIBA Thrive Pio's Team Baked BlackBean 4.1.2 ROM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 1 (i717) CM11 4.4.2 kitkat (jamied)
    Samsung GalaxyTab 3 (7 in) Deleterious ROM
    HTC EVO 4G Deck's Reloaded ROM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (i317) unlocked Ditto Note 3.1.1 (4.3) ROM
    B&N Nook Color (Gifted to relative)
    Samsung Galaxy Prevail Half A$$ed ROM
    EVO Shift JellyBelly ROM
    Samsung Galaxy S3 DanKang 4.3.1 ROM

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    What kind of phone are you using? Do you know anyone else with TMobile or Straight Talk in your area that you could ask how their service is?
    I am using a Samsung Galaxy Note 2. I don't know anyone else with Straight Talk, but my girlfriend uses T-Mobile and her service seems to be better than mine, but still pretty bad in rural areas.

Quote Originally Posted by tgp View Post
    No, I meant that there's no difference in allowances. Both have unlimited minutes, text, and data, except data is soft capped if you have AT&T's service. The price is the same.
    Can you or someone explain what soft capped means. Does your speed drop when you reach a certain level?
    tgp

Global Posts
    2,366 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gtt1 View Post
    Can you or someone explain what soft capped means. Does your speed drop when you reach a certain level?
    Yes that's basically it, except a soft cap means that the limit is not set in stone. One month you might get throttled at <1GB, and the next month you use 3GB and not get throttled.

Do you get hspa speed with at&t? I feel like sticking with the 30$ t mobile if I have coverage is fine.

But another question. Does the at&t penetrate buildings better? I don't get very good service in certain buildings

Posted via Android Central App
    yes, that old

ROM

The cellular frequencies are the same, so building penetration is the same. If one carrier has more cells closer, that will help, but each carrier frequencies, being the same, behave the same. There is no magic, just physics of radio propagation.
    Galaxy Nexus GSM

Kindle Fire

Red face Re: Question About T-Mobile & Straight Talk

I have had a prepaid Att phone for several years. I live in a rual area and my service has been excellent!!! A month ago I bought a HTC S ONE with tmobile, also prepaid, and I have not had ANY SERVICE period!!! Unless I drive to the nearest town. I am getting my new HTC phone unlocked and going back to At&T. At&t's customer service is 100% better than tmobile also. They speak in CLEAR english. I had so much trouble understanding everyone I talked to at tmobile. It's been a very frustrating experience! If I were you I would go with At&t. Just saying.