Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Default T mobile service on Long Island NY

How is the DATA in Suffolk and Nassau. I pray its better then Sprint. Sprint unlimited 2g sucks.

Default Re: T mobile service on Long Island NY

It's not bad in Nassau. I hit a couple of dead spots on the railroad, but that is limited. Can't comment on LTE though as my phone does not support it.
    Pat

Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4

I was actually wondering how is the service in general with T-Mobile. I live in Rocky Point, Suffolk County, and have Verizon. It's horrible here. I can't send text messages and at times it takes hours for me to finally get it through. The same can be said about the actual phone calls too. I loose calls and sometimes can't dial out of my own home. I've actually lost calls while sitting on my couch, and I didn't even move. I was thinking about going to T-Mobile over AT&T because the price can't be beat. But I want to make sure that I can make calls and receive them, and text too, with little issues.

I work in Queens and sometimes in Manahattan and usually commute by using the L.I.E. I don't usually use data, but it's nice to have when I want to use it, but my main concern is phone call quality. How is that? To be honest I'm a little hesitant to use T-Mobile because I've only heard bad things about them. Granted that was probably 7 yrs ago, but my concerns are still there. I was even at Radio Shack today and they talked T-Mobile down. I don't know if that is the same bias that I have from years ago or if its still correct. I just don't want to sign on for a service that is just as bad, or worse than Verizon in my own home. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I just moved to Mastic and have the same questions. I get horrible service here from Verizon and it seems ATT even is worse! Sprint isnt any better. I went into the local TMobile store and they gave me the party line that all is great everywhere. What Ive basically gotten from these forums is TMO doesnt get great signals inside. Well, like all my current neighbors we have to go outside for a chance to connect so what does that gain me? The only reason I think of TMO is because of the wifi calling where you can go on wifi instead of cell service for calls. But for work purposes I need to receive calls anywhere, whether in Stop and Shop or home. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I guess I'll have to be my own guinea pig here. I have to tell you though, I did go to the T-mobile store by Smith Haven mall, and I wasn't to impressed. I don't know if he believed what he was telling me or if he was tying to say anything to make a sale. I had legitimate concerns about coverage and what the policy was about returning the devices if I didn't get good coverage for either my home or work and he told me to check the coverage map. If it said I was good, than I was good according to him. But I know from experience with another carrier that that is not always true.

Anyway I ordered phones from T-Mobile online and will let you guys know how my coverage is when they come in. According to the website that should be anywhere between Wed and Fri this week.

Quote Originally Posted by thatsprime View Post
    I guess I'll have to be my own guinea pig here. I have to tell you though, I did go to the T-mobile store by Smith Haven mall, and I wasn't to impressed. I don't know if he believed what he was telling me or if he was tying to say anything to make a sale. I had legitimate concerns about coverage and what the policy was about returning the devices if I didn't get good coverage for either my home or work and he told me to check the coverage map. If it said I was good, than I was good according to him. But I know from experience with another carrier that that is not always true.

Anyway I ordered phones from T-Mobile online and will let you guys know how my coverage is when they come in. According to the website that should be anywhere between Wed and Fri this week.
    Check sensorly.com this shows coverage and it's user submitted only (so actual coverage).

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

I get great service on Long Island in both Nassau and Suffolk. Here is a speedtest I did today. I was using an N4 and was shopping at Tanger Outlets in Deer Park, Suffolk.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Here is another one I just took outside of Trader Joe's in Plainview

Sent from my Nexus 4

Almeuit, Thanks for the idea, I already did though. I was just hoping from some real users what their honest thoughts were. Thanks Darrkman for the speed test. Ok, I received my phone and my wifes phone on Sept 19th. I ordered them online just because I could get the LG G2 right away, while for some reason the stores didn't get stock until Sept 25th. My wife got a Samsung Galaxsy S4. So this review is about my T Mobile service, almost a full week.

We ported our numbers from Verizon on the 19th. I called T Mobile and the process was very easy. I think it took about 2 hours for the porting process to be completed with both our phones. Like I've stated in the past, we live in Rocky Point. (Long Island). Verizon was horrible here. We would not be able to send text messages and calls were dropped rather frequently. Well let me tell you, not only do we get full bars and 4G coverage here, but we haven't dropped 1 call and text messages go through without any waiting.

I work in Queens, NYC and commute to the city usually take the William Floyd Parkway to the the L.I.E. but occasionally take 347 to the Northern Parkway and from there get to work. Anyway, I did not have one dropped call. Naturally I'm not on the phone the whole way. At work, in Queens I have full bars as well and 4G coverage too. I have no regrets about going to T Mobile. I have done plenty of speed test myself and I can't believe the speeds I get. I would post those but I don't know how to get a screen capture on my phone yet.

I haven't driven out to Riverhead yet, thats about the furthest East I go on Long Island, and I haven't left the NYC area either so I can't speak for how it is outside of Long Island but for now, I am very happy about using them. I must say though, that when I went to my daycare's home, which is also in Rocky Point I had no service at all. No bars, no 4G, nothing. (The phone is a new toy, along with the service so I'm constantly checking both.) Her home/business is on the very north shore and at the bottom of hills, (Rocky Point..... get it ) anyway she gets no service from Verizn,Sprint, or AT&T there either so it was expected.

I even went shopping in Stop & Shop in Miller Place and had to call my wife. 4 bars. It did go down to 2 when I was in the meat section, but still... I HAD SERVICE!!! That was a surprise because Verizon was 2 bars and when we had Sprint I had to stand in the big window in the front or step outside to make a call.

My wife works off of Motor Parkway, (I'm not sure what town that her office is in but she works off of exit 57 on the L.I.E.) She hasn't had one complaint yet. She too was surprised about the service in her office. When we were on Sprint she had no service in her office at all, and Verizon was always coming in and out. But with T Mobile she said she has 3 bars. I personally think the bad service in her office is due to the building, but HEY she gets service where on Verizon she didn't so she's very happy about the move.

I did the math, we didn't sign up for the Jump (I think that's what they call it). They charge you an extra 10 bucks a month for that program just to upgrade twice a year, and you have to give them back the phone. To me that made no sense, if I really want the newer phone I'll just pay off the LG and then start new payments on the next phone, but honestly I don't see that happening for a while. I LOVE this phone. And whenever I do decide to get a newer phone I'll sell this on Ebay or something, not turn it over to T Mobile. But my phones always look brand new. It goes right from the box to a case and gets a screen protector. But I know I'm not like everyone so their plan may work for you, just not me... anyway, got off topic..

If anyone else has any questions at all feel free to ask. I'll respond right away.

PS I had a slight issue with trading in my old phone for credit with T Mobile and I went to the Centereach store. The manager was amazing, very helpful and nice. The manager in the store in Selden, not so much.

I am curios how you still like your service? I live in Stony Brook and commute to Farmindale and for now I purchased a prepaid Sim to test the network. So far so good speeds are remarkable and I get 3 bars and LTE in my home. I just gave the Sim to my daughter to try it with her unlocked AT&T iPhone 4s to see how well they converted the frequencies in the area she works. But she does get 4G with the TM Sim at home and side by side with my AT&T Iphone 5s on 4G she is easily 5 times faster. Maybe we can keep this thread active and get more feedback in our area.
    Thanks

You could also download the OpenSignal app to see how the carriers compare in any given place (even block to block).

I'm glad you're having good luck with the switch.

Sent from my C5170 via Tapatalk 2

Carlos,

My wife and I still are totally in love with T Mobile. I am currently trying to talk my mother to get it too. She lives in Miller Place and has a old flip phone. She is considering getting a smart phone and I keep telling her about the cheaper cost but better service I've had compared to big red, which she currently is on.

I was actually in Stony Brook yesterday and didn't pick up my phone at all. Sorry I wish I could tell you how my service was there. BUT I will tell you that I get full service in Best Buy in East Setauket but in Target, once I get towards the back of the store my service becomes spotty. I lost a call, only once, in Target in East Setauket. But wouldn't you know it, I was in the Kitchen & Bath section talking to my wife so maybe it was just a subliminal thought on my part .

I was in Manhattan last week and talked most of the time while I was there and I had no issues with lost calls or loosing 4G.

I have to admit though, when I try to stream movies (in my own home) after about 10 to 15min the phone tells me that it must stop video playback because of weak signal. I thought I was using WiFi so I really don't understand why that happens. That could be a WiFi issue that I have at home or maybe I just get really bad 4G coverage in my home. Remember I live in Rocky Point, not known for getting the best cell coverage by anybody, or I might have to add this to another reason why I need a new WiFi router, but I will have to investigate this a little bit to make sure I was using WiFi or if it was really using 4G. My guess is it was my WiFi, but I can't say that with 100% certainty.

Other than loosing video in my own home, I've had great service. My wife and I went to NJ this past weekend, and she noticed that at times she did loose 4G, but we never lost our signal (which in my opinion is much more important than 4G, for emergencies and such). AND A BIG PLUS was that we had better service at my dads place in Monroe, NJ than he did on Verizon.

If you have any other questions please ask.

Well I did the change over to T-Mobile, at home the service is better than AT&T 2 to 3 bars of LTE and if I turn it off 3 to 4 bars of 4G. The 4G is much faster than my prior service so I am a happy camper. I know that I get LTE in some areas in Farmingdale so I am good there also. After I gave my daughter the Sim to try near her job she was happy also and then she started to notice that her AT&T services wasn't as good as she thought. The porting of three numbers when real easy but I could not understand what she was saying (611 operator) loud with heavy accent. I am glad she understood me since the numbers ported overnight. I know AT&T is the big carrier and most likely has more coverage all around but so far if I am saving money wile getting good service it's a plus.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Thanks for the replies. Anyone else that can add their experience or updates?

I work all over Nassau County and used to be on Sprint (8 yrs). For the last year it was horrible for anything other than voice. Moved to tmobile recently two months ago and I'm very happy.

Give it a try. They give you like 14 days to test the service.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Ok I made the switch to T Mobile from Sprint and It was a great decision. I have excellent data speeds in Centereach. I have streamed music on both Shoutcast and Pandora to my car receiver with no dropouts from Riverhead to Garden City.

Just upgrade my phone on AT&T but have 14 days to return and cancel the extension of the contract. T-Mobile is pushing hard to get our business account but skeptical about their coverage on Long Island. Posts from above look encouraging, but wanted to see if there are any more recent thoughts on T-Mobile's coverage throughout Nassau and Suffolk. Live in Lake Grove, work in Plainview, Bay Shore and Southampton. On the phone when I'm driving between all our offices, so coverage is important. Thanks!

Default T-mobile service on Long Island NY

I switched from Sprint in February and the service is night and day. I get coverage in my apartment now and a lot of places where I didn't with Sprint. I can make HD Voice Calls to my girlfriend in Nassau County and they are really clear. I've referred a few friends and pretty much got a free months service. My girlfriend and I were at a wedding at the Timber Point Country Club in March in Great River and we were the only ones with service. I'm happy with T-Mobile and I like how the bills are well laid out and easy to understand. I've tried all the carriers except AT&T (I've heard from many about their poor customer service) and I find T-Mobile to be the fastest and most well rounded although Verizon has better coverage when you're not in a major city.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrkman View Post
    I get great service on Long Island in both Nassau and Suffolk. Here is a speedtest I did today. I was using an N4 and was shopping at Tanger Outlets in Deer Park, Suffolk.

http://i.imgur.com/ZKzuEbv.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 4

My grandmother is in Deer Park and have been to Port Jefferson area and I have used AT&T and T-mobile there and from my experience AT&T is the better service in those areas. T-mobile isn't bad but I noticed i got better speed with AT&T

LTE is robust in Nassau. Decent in suburban Suffolk. Largely non existant in the Hamptons. Data in general sucks in the Hamptons. It will usually just say 4G or 2G and really provide 0G. Oddly enough, where I go often, a house on a hill in Sag Harbor, I get LTE on an off, but I have WiFi there. Voice is decent enough, but there are dead spots.

Posted via Android Central App