How well does Tmobile perform?

gotta have it android

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
The company currently has Sprint and is thinking on switching since Tmo still has unlimited data and 4G in more places and i was wondering how well it performs for you guys. We're based in Idaho (west) and travel just about everywhere in the country. What are your thoughts on them? Coverage? Anything i should know to pass along and to keep in mind?

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
In my neck of the woods (north of Detroit) tmo is terrible. Next to no data service. Where as my Sprint service is pushing 4g all over

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

mmednick1

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I paid the money to get of a contract with sprint. I'm in Philadelphia and tmobile blows sprint away here. In the cities tmobile is great..

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
The company currently has Sprint and is thinking on switching since Tmo still has unlimited data and 4G in more places and i was wondering how well it performs for you guys. We're based in Idaho (west) and travel just about everywhere in the country. What are your thoughts on them? Coverage? Anything i should know to pass along and to keep in mind?

From personal experience:

T-Mobile is probably going to suck in most of Idaho and western WA. Coverage is decent along i-84, and on 90 between Yakima and Coeur d Alene but I'll imagine it's pretty spotty everywhere else.

Both coasts of the US are pretty well covered. All the "tech-nerds" that write for blogs, pretty much agree that T-Mo has the best service in SF and NYC.
Service along the i-95 corridor from NY down to DC is fantastic.
Service in Miami is fantastic.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I recently switched from Sprint to TMO and from what i have read it seems to me that this might not be a good idea for your company. As much as i am liking T-Mobile i also dont travel. I rarely leave the Dallas / Fort Worth Metroplex and as many will attest to T-MO is great in major cities. But go outside the bubble into rural areas and you loose service quite often..

Perhaps in a few years that will change but for now if you travel a lot Stick with Sprint or look at Verizon or AT&T.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
If by "travel" you mean road trips, I wouldn't recommend T-Mobile, especially if you care about data connectivity. If you go by plane, though, it may be a good move. Coverage is usually good in any cities big enough to bother traveling to. If your travel includes a lot of towns and rural areas, though, I'd recommend staying away from T-Mobile.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
As others said.. In between its spotty.. In a major town it's amazing.

I as well stay in the same area so I enjoy awesome service.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Well I have a nexus 4 on tmo, bought it because all the rage at how awesome there service is. Well from day one I was so mad. As soon as I left the city center it went to edge. And edge is 56k or less ie like AOL dial up speeds. Well when G2 went on sell for vzw I decided to upgrade. And my vzw is so amazing ten times better then my vzw gnexus. So after a couple a weeks ignoring my nexus4 tmo I fired it up last night in savanna ga. And guess what edge and so slow. I called tmo and cancelled that line. As a professional steering wheel holder I need reliable service and T-Mobile isn't there.

Sent from Bad Azz VZW LG G2 Cyan Tapatalk

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Well I have a nexus 4 on tmo, bought it because all the rage at how awesome there service is. Well from day one I was so mad. As soon as I left the city center it went to edge. And edge is 56k or less ie like AOL dial up speeds. Well when G2 went on sell for vzw I decided to upgrade. And my vzw is so amazing ten times better then my vzw gnexus. So after a couple a weeks ignoring my nexus4 tmo I fired it up last night in savanna ga. And guess what edge and so slow. I called tmo and cancelled that line. As a professional steering wheel holder I need reliable service and T-Mobile isn't there.

Yeah, but Vzw's cheapest plan is about $120/month, T-Mobile's is $50. I can live with that!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
You get what u pay for service wise. If I wanted insufficient data speeds sure go for it. Just don't leave the inner city.
Yeah, but Vzw's cheapest plan is about $120/month, T-Mobile's is $50. I can live with that!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
As with all discussions about carrier preference, it comes down to individual usage: where you use your devices, what you use them for, and yes, what compromises you're willing to make between price and performance.

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
As others said.. In between its spotty.. In a major town it's amazing.

I as well stay in the same area so I enjoy awesome service.

This. I'm on the westside of Chicago and avg about 30mb dl but traveling I'll hit edge and hspa+ but thats ok seeing *** I'm mostly a city person anyway I win regardless.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2 now Free

Google_Superuser

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I was supposedly in a good area for T-Mobile but rarely ever got LTE, had random dead spots where it dropped down to Edge and Edge in many buildings. On top of it if call reception was bad volume dropped significantly to where I could barely hear.

I really wanted to like the $30 T-mobile plan but bottom line I basically ended up with a phone that didn't have data most of the time and that I couldn't really use as a phone because I couldn't hear the other person.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You get what u pay for service wise. If I wanted insufficient data speeds sure go for it. Just don't leave the inner city.

It's only insufficient if he leaves.. Not everyone has a traveling job like you. Hence why T-Mobile works for some. I guarantee I get the same speeds as you.. If not better. Just like I guarantee you have coverage in areas I don't. The difference? You need that coverage because you travel which is understandable.. Verizon is king for that.

Xader

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile is probably going to suck in most of Idaho and western WA. Coverage is decent along i-84, and on 90 between Yakima and Coeur d Alene but I'll imagine it's pretty spotty everywhere else.

Terrible coverage in most of Oregon as well. No 4G on I-84 outside Portland, GSM-only in parts. No signal if you leave the interstate corridors except in larger towns/cities.

They were fine when I signed on back in the 2G days, but in most of the NW (geographically speaking), they never upgraded or expanded.

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
It's only insufficient if he leaves.. Not everyone has a traveling job like you. Hence why T-Mobile works for some. I guarantee I get the same speeds as you.. If not better. Just like I guarantee you have coverage in areas I don't. The difference? You need that coverage because you travel which is understandable.. Verizon is king for that.

Sprint is getting better in that regard as well imho.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Sprint lol I have a couple trucker friends that sprint booted them because of data roaming excess. At least T-Mobile and data roaming they shut your data of till your back in T-Mobile coverage. And my T-Mobile data roaming is 300 mb. That's nothing. With vzw you don't worry about that bs not sure on how att handles data roaming.
Sprint is getting better in that regard as well imho.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

If you trave here to Honolulu? Tmo can get up to this fast

Sent from my Coconut Wireless HTC One now Free

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1381391571606.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381391571606.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 47

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I have to say that I am really digging T-Mobile right now.This is the first time signing with them. I have been through the other national carriers. A friend of mine has T-Mobile and was telling me how much he liked it coming from AT&T. I decided to give them a try for a few reasons: they have unlimited LTE, they support unlocked phones, and it was the perfect time to pickup the Galaxy Note 3 because it had just come out and there was a promotion for $0 down. When the sales rep told me I could upgrade every 6 months I was hooked. I was nervous about the data speeds though. AT&T was really strong in my area and I was getting speeds between 25-40 Mbps down and 10-15 Mbps up. But T-Mobile speeds have been great and when I don't have LTE I'm still getting 10-15 Mbps down. I love Wi-Fi calling and texting. It really helps when I'm in building where no one gets cellular service. I can just connect to Wi-Fi and I'm cool. So far I have no complaints.

Sent from the baddest device on the planet, it's for real.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad