Anyone here made the jump from VZW to T-Mobile?

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
VZW is a wee bit expressive, even with my unlimited data plan. I saw today that I can get an unthrottled unlimited data plan from T-Mobile for $70/mo and an additional unlimited line for $50/mo. The website says $120 for two lines, but what is it really after tax and other random fees? On VZW I'm paying about $180/mo for three lines. One unlimited, the other 4GB, and an unused line.
The only cities I'm ever really in are OKC and Houston.

Reasons to switch: price, wider selection of phones, nexus 5, timely updates, and tired of being disappointed by VZW.

I could probably pay for a Nexus 5 with the money I'd make from selling my S4 and unlimited data plan.

Think it's worth it?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I've heard good things abut T-Mobile lately. It's very important to consider how the network is going to be in your area. Do you know folks that have T-Mobile and are very satisfied? If so, I'd say Go For It.

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I know many folks on VZW who are unsatisfied lol.
Last time I was on T-Mobile was when they were Deutsch-Telekom in Germany and they tried to rip me off. That was seven years ago though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Wobblin30

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I did and am heading back to Verizon. I live north of Boston and have pretty good coverage where I live but @ work is another story. My office is on the fist floor of a brick building and I get zero signal. My phone (Note 3) is constantly searching for signal. I even tested out my wife's 5s and same thing, no signal.

My savings for two lines is not worth the lack of coverage.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Most folks that had T-Mobile at big android BBQ had issues with there service and they where in Dallas tx. I have vzw and went to try T-Mobile and I didn't like it. There's basically no data roaming certain apps that I used to DL my TV shows from the house T-Mobile said I was tethering which I wasn't shut that app off. Very limited network, get away from the city and poof your on edge and that's around 56k or like I like to say AOL dial up speeds. I'm still paying my T-Mobile bill but haven't used my it in 3vweeks since I bought the lg g2. Vzw us way more suited for what I do. And I get discounts on accessories and phone bill.

Sent from Bad Azz VZW LG G2 Cyan Tapatalk

eRod v1.0

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Jova, I live in OKC. I am too on Verizon paying the same for three lines. I'm a 8gb plan with one line being a tablet. I've been really upset with their customer service lately. So I'm making the switch. I can tell you HSPA+ is faster at times than vzw LTE in the city. I spent an hour in a store comparing the two. One thing I am worried about coverage in doors but we shall see. A few friends of mine on T-Mobile say they have some issues in a few spots around the city, but are otherwise very pleased. Obviously, all of my vzw friends say nothing bad about vzw other than they are expensive. I'll be happy to pay $120 for unlimited, no contact, and be able to get a Nexus phone.

Posted with my S4 via Android Central App

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I switched from VZW to T-Mobile. I had an unlimited data plan but I wanted the phones VZW wasn't carrying. I have good coverage with T-Mobile at home and work. Definitely try out the network if you have a friend with T-Mobile service. I'm on a five line family plan and all of us have unlimited data. That breaks down to $42 each line plus the cost of the phone.

Sent from my SM-N900T using AC Forums mobile app

Gdraft#WN

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm in Cincinnati and travel all over SW Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana for work.

I was with Verizon for years, loved the service, but didn't like the high cost or the very out dated phone selection.

Moved all 3 lines to T-mo, saving me almost 50.00 per month.

Even at a 600.00 savings per year, I would still have a hard time recommending T-mo to anyone.

I got the HTC one S, their top of the line phone at the time. It has never worked right from day one. After more complaints and phone calls than I can remember, the JB update FINALLY got it running decent, almost as good as my old Palm Pre on Verizon. Then 2 days later they came out with a "patch" and all of the old problems came back. Then they stopped supporting the phone.

Service is worse than 2 tin cans and a string. I can be within site of a tower, have full bars, and drop calls. Data locks up and loses signal all of the time.

and T-mo? I don't even know how those people find their way to work in the morning. They have absolutely no idea about their products, either at the store or when you call in.

After going around and around, it is always the same. "Maybe you need to get a new phone"

I have 3 phones, all different, none work like they are supposed to.

Is it worth switching...... Depends on how bad you need a phone that can make calls and receive data.

I have a work phone that runs on Sprint, it runs CIRCLES around my T-mo phones.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm in Cincinnati and travel all over SW Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana for work.

I was with Verizon for years, loved the service, but didn't like the high cost or the very out dated phone selection.

Moved all 3 lines to T-mo, saving me almost 50.00 per month.

Even at a 600.00 savings per year, I would still have a hard time recommending T-mo to anyone.

I got the HTC one S, their top of the line phone at the time. It has never worked right from day one. After more complaints and phone calls than I can remember, the JB update FINALLY got it running decent, almost as good as my old Palm Pre on Verizon. Then 2 days later they came out with a "patch" and all of the old problems came back. Then they stopped supporting the phone.

Service is worse than 2 tin cans and a string. I can be within site of a tower, have full bars, and drop calls. Data locks up and loses signal all of the time.

and T-mo? I don't even know how those people find their way to work in the morning. They have absolutely no idea about their products, either at the store or when you call in.

After going around and around, it is always the same. "Maybe you need to get a new phone"

I have 3 phones, all different, none work like they are supposed to.

Is it worth switching...... Depends on how bad you need a phone that can make calls and receive data.

I have a work phone that runs on Sprint, it runs CIRCLES around my T-mo phones.

I learned the hard way...Verizon or AT&T if you need decent networks. They're not perfect either but IME they're certainly the lesser of the evils where performance is concerned.

from my '14 Note 10.1

illiniah

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
It just depends where you live. I am in northern Virginia and spend most of my time inside the beltway and in DC and in Tysons Corner. T-Mobile is fast; 14 MB, no dropped calls, great reception in buildings. I travel to cities in Midwest and Cali - get great reception everywhere. I don't go to the country or far out suburbs, Verizon might be better suited for those living in rural or more impoverished areas. T-Mobile is probably targeting a wealthier demographic based on their layout in high income regions.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

alexlam24

Banned
Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Here in Pennsylvania, the signal everywhere is good. Idk about you though. Works better in more populated areas and T-Mobile is still an expanding company.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using AC Forums mobile app

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I will make the same recommendations and issue the same caution as other posters. Try T-Mobile first before you switch all of your lines from VZW. If you know someone with an unlocked GSM phone or a T-Mobile compatible phone that can let you borrow it, sign up for the $30 prepaid plan that is in conjunction with Wal-Mart. It's only 100 voice minutes, but that should be enough time to test where you live, work and the route in between the two. Definitely check your reception inside of all of the buildings that you go into.

Data speed is the big issue with T-Mobile. You go from great to horrible with very little in between. If you are close to interstates in major metropolitan areas, your data speeds will probably be fine. If you have Wi-Fi available to you in most locations, data speeds may not concern you. From what I read on forums and blogs, Houston should have good coverage. I don't remember reading any comments from people in Oklahoma City, so I question coverage in that area.

My personal experience is that I use VZW for one of my tablets and T-Mobile for some of my phone lines. I live right at I-495/I-95 in Maryland. I obviously don't have recent VZW experience for voice, but I do get at least 3G data in far more places on my tablet than I do on my T-Mobile phones. T-Mobile coverage can be spotty even within the major metro areas. At home, I get around 10Mbps. My church is less than a mile away and I am on EDGE even outside the church building. Voice coverage has almost never been a problem for me. There is one building that I can go into that is about 10-15 miles south of Baltimore where I have no signal at all. Outside of that building, I am on EDGE.

Based on my postpaid line on T-Mobile being $60 base and just under $70 with taxes and fees, I would imagine that you are looking at $22-$25 in taxes and fees for two lines.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781