Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts

Default Switching from Verizon to tmobile

I currently have Verizon and as soon as my nexus 5 gets here I will look to switch to tmobile. My end of contract date is 11/29 and I want to make the switch to the 30 dollar plan with as little over hang as possible, meaning I don't want to pay another month on Verizon.

I have a sim card I got when they were giving them away for free last week, and I was wondering the best way to make the switch, as I haven't before.

Should I just go to a tmobile store to port my number after starting service with them, or do I wait?

Do I wait to cancel service with Verizon until after I have the ported number?

I'm a rookie at this so any input is appreciated :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Default Re: Switching from Verizon to tmobile

Go to T-Mobile on the 29th to port your number. Should take them 10 minutes to do, usually takes less than an hour for your number to switch. The Verizon account will cancel automatically at that point (unless you multiple lines/family plan.)

Note that it might take a couple days for the change to filter through the various other telcos in terms of SMS/MMS. Don't panic if you miss a few texts for a couple days.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
    bubba3595 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
    Go to T-Mobile on the 29th to port your number. Should take them 10 minutes to do, usually takes less than an hour for your number to switch. The Verizon account will cancel automatically at that point (unless you multiple lines/family plan.)

Note that it might take a couple days for the change to filter through the various other telcos in terms of SMS/MMS. Don't panic if you miss a few texts for a couple days.

This.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    bubba3595 likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post

Thanks a lot, one more thing.
    Is it true I have to go to Walmart to get the 30 dollar plan or is there a way I can just do it online or in a tmo store?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I'll add to the above comments, since I am in the same boat as you...

As far as porting your number you have to do it exactly on the 29th. Any earlier and you'll be hit with an ETF from Verizion. I called and checked, if I did it a day earlier I'd have to pay a $120 fee.

As far as the $30 plan, note that is only for 100 minutes...which could go by pretty fast. But you can sign up for it online with the sim TMobile sent you. It should be an option once you activate any new sim.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,618 Global Posts
    Carrier
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

But that free sim card isn't it for prepaid only? If so I didn't think u could port a number to prepaid.

Sent from Bad Azz VZW LG G2 Cyan Tapatalk

I would set up your phone with another number and then port your number over but I'm in the minority it seems.

Carrier
    Stock

There is a way to set that plan up in the store. It's a tricky way so the rep just has to know what they're doing. ;P