Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dpham00
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Excellent Coverage?

    Hello,

    Several month ago I switched couple of my lines from Verizon to T-mobile. According to the map coverage on T-mobile website the coverage in my area should be excellent. However at best I get one bar on Edge. I have been in contacts with support several times, but the issue cannot be resolved. According to support I live less then a mile from the tower, which correct because I walk by that tower everyday when walking my dog.

    Attached are the image from T-mobile map coverage and the reading taken with the new FCC Speed Test app.

    Excellent Coverage?-tmobilecoverage.jpg

    Excellent Coverage?-tmobileinfo.jpg

    Is there a way to contact someone at high level so I can show these images to them and ask for explanation?
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 11-16-2013 at 05:02 PM.
  2. #2  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    6,421 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,557 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

    Default Re: Excelent Coverage?

    Quote Originally Posted by astroprojector View Post
    Hello,

    Several month ago I switched couple of my lines from Verizon to T-mobile. According to the map coverage on T-mobile website the coverage in my area should be excellent. However at best I get one bar on Edge. I have been in contacts with support several times, but the issue cannot be resolved. According to support I live less then a mile from the tower, which correct because I walk by that tower everyday when walking my dog.

    Attached are the image from T-mobile map coverage and the reading taken with the new FCC Speed Test app.

    Is there a way to contact someone at high level so I can show these images to them and ask for explanation?
    Have you always had this kind of coverage? Or was it just an issue recently?
    You might have changed the networks by accident. Go to settings > connections > more networks > mobile networks and make sure it is set to LTE/GSM/WCDMA. If you are on GSM only you will have edge regardless of coverage
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Excelent Coverage?

    indeed, you have two towers nearby, quite bizarre.

    If above mentioned phone settings are okay, call T-Mo tech support and ask them to escalate your issue to their engineer.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Excelent Coverage?

    I have this coverage since day one. I have been on the phone with level 2 support and requests for engineer to come out was made several time. The mobile network on the phone is set to LTE/GSM/WCDMA.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Excelent Coverage?

    Do you know anyone else with T-mobile? If so, i would suggest looking to see what their signal strength is. It may be your phone (bad antenna).
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Excelent Coverage?

    Which phone are you using? Is it a Verizon phone? Or tmobile?

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    UJ95x likes this.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Excelent Coverage?

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Which phone are you using? Is it a Verizon phone? Or tmobile?

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    This is a great question. OP if you're using your Verizon one with just a T-Mobile SIM that could be your problem.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
  8. #8  
    cgardnervt's Avatar

    Posts
    2,857 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

    Default Re: Excelent Coverage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    This is a great question. OP if you're using your Verizon one with just a T-Mobile SIM that could be your problem.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Or even an att phone with Tmo.
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)
    My Blog: C2JBlog.com
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Excelent Coverage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    This is a great question. OP if you're using your Verizon one with just a T-Mobile SIM that could be your problem.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Verizon phones use totally different radios and would not work. Even if there is a gsm radio in there it's likely gimped to only work internationally by Verizon.

    If it is an att phone it should work but check your APN settings.

    Posted via Android Central App
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Excelent Coverage?

    Quote Originally Posted by MalachyNG View Post
    Verizon phones use totally different radios and would not work. Even if there is a gsm radio in there it's likely gimped to only work internationally by Verizon.

    If it is an att phone it should work but check your APN settings.

    Posted via Android Central App
    This is incorrect. Verizon phones with the radios can use T-Mobile but only the "reframed" HSPA (4g) data speeds. Not the un-reframed markets... Which would put you on edge for T-Mobile.

    It's also incorrect because Verizon phones are unlocked so... The GSM radios work on whatever.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Excelent Coverage?

    Assuming you're using T-Mobile phones-

    Are you on a post paid or prepaid, I believe I read that older prepaid plans only used T-Mobiles home network, not who they share with. It's possible that the coverage check is showing the combined shared network with whomever T-Mobile shares with. If you're not picking up that tower, this could be why.

    As much as it sucks, I'd try a FDR.

    Have a T-Mobile store replace your Sim card.

    Find a friend who has a postpaid T-Mobile account and compare.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Excelent Coverage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    This is incorrect. Verizon phones with the radios can use T-Mobile but only the "reframed" HSPA (4g) data speeds. Not the un-reframed markets... Which would put you on edge for T-Mobile.

    It's also incorrect because Verizon phones are unlocked so... The GSM radios work on whatever.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    This is correct for current 4GLTE smartphones. Some older ones did not have gsm radios like the Thunderbolt, gnex. Not all phones can get 4g on tmobile, I believe that the Verizon s3 won't even in refarmed areas.

    Some older phones like my s3 was sim locked from the factory but unlocked later by update. The Verizon Note II was factory sim unlocked, but the apn was locked from the factory, and later unlocked by update. My Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 is factory sim unlocked and apn editing was allowed from the factory as well.

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Excelent Coverage?

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    This is correct for current 4GLTE smartphones. Some older ones did not have gsm radios like the Thunderbolt, gnex. Not all phones can get 4g on tmobile, I believe that the Verizon s3 won't even in refarmed areas.

    Some older phones like my s3 was sim locked from the factory but unlocked later by update. The Verizon Note II was factory sim unlocked, but the apn was locked from the factory, and later unlocked by update. My Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 is factory sim unlocked and apn editing was allowed from the factory as well.

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    My experience was with the Droid 3 which technically had a GSM radio in it but was region locked so you could not use it on any US carrier. I believe the Droid 2 Global was also similar. The Galaxy Nexus had no GSM radio to speak of and neither did the original Droid 2. The Droid Bionic I believe did have some unlock system if you went international but otherwise was locked out of domestic GSM carriers. Verizon also was very stingy about unlock codes if you did happen to travel internationally. My Droid 3 came with a vodafone SIM already stuck in it.

    My comment was more based on the idea that Verizon's lagacy tech is CDMA which is not compatible with GSM. To me it seemed people had been assuming that any verizon phone would work on AT&T/T-Mobile. To be honest I haven't even realized that the newer flagship phones were even arriving on VZW with GSM radios still included let alone activated.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Excelent Coverage?

    Quote Originally Posted by MalachyNG View Post
    My experience was with the Droid 3 which technically had a GSM radio in it but was region locked so you could not use it on any US carrier. I believe the Droid 2 Global was also similar. The Galaxy Nexus had no GSM radio to speak of and neither did the original Droid 2. The Droid Bionic I believe did have some unlock system if you went international but otherwise was locked out of domestic GSM carriers. Verizon also was very stingy about unlock codes if you did happen to travel internationally. My Droid 3 came with a vodafone SIM already stuck in it.

    My comment was more based on the idea that Verizon's lagacy tech is CDMA which is not compatible with GSM. To me it seemed people had been assuming that any verizon phone would work on AT&T/T-Mobile. To be honest I haven't even realized that the newer flagship phones were even arriving on VZW with GSM radios still included let alone activated.
    Non Verizon 4GLTE smartphones are sim locked, if they have gsm radios though you can call Verizon to unlock. Some older 4GLTE smartphones were sim locked. When I mean current, I mean 4GLTE smartphones released within the past year like the gs4,note 2/3, droid maxx, htc one, g2,iPhone 5 /5s/5c, Moto X, etc.

    Of note, my old rezound which came out in 2011 is factory sim unlocked. Some other devices were factory sim locked but unlocked later by update.

    With regards to your Bionic, my understanding is that it is factory sim unlocked, but that you need to do a mod(no root required) to get the sim slot working with a non Verizon sim.

    http://androidforums.com/motorola-dr...intensive.html


    With regards to unlock codes on Older devices, I was able to get several 3g devices unlocked for when I was traveling abroad. The key is going to the right department in Verizon, and they won't transfer you or transfer to the wrong department, just call back.

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Excelent Coverage?

    Id also suggest using Sensory, OpenSignals, apps like that to check what other people around you have been able to verify.
    As the other users have asked, what phone are you using?
    Are you able to get another TMO user to test with you in the same spots?
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

    Default Re: Excelent Coverage?

    The test was done on T-Mobile Galaxy S4. I also have Galaxy Nexus GSM with T-Mobile Sim and get the same results. I am not using any pre or post paid. This is regular T-Mobile Unlimited Everything account.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Excelent Coverage?

    Quote Originally Posted by astroprojector View Post
    The test was done on T-Mobile Galaxy S4. I also have Galaxy Nexus GSM with T-Mobile Sim and get the same results. I am not using any pre or post paid. This is regular T-Mobile Unlimited Everything account.
    maybe T-Mobile can send you an signal booster or something like that....?
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default Re: Excelent Coverage?

    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    maybe T-Mobile can send you an signal booster or something like that....?
    Boosters no longer available from T-Mobile.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Excelent Coverage?

    Yeah, mine is supposed to be "Very Strong" to "Excellent," at home, too. It's not. Funny thing is: The Network Signal Info app shows that one tower is only about 1/4 to 1/2 mile away, and another about a mile in the other direction.

Similar Threads

  1. Importing contacts from an excel spreadsheet
    By deccs in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-01-2014, 02:41 PM
  2. Sold: *Excellent* Verizon iPhone 5, 32 GBs Unlocked
    By pkcable in forum The Marketplace - Buy, Sell & Trade
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-06-2013, 08:03 PM
  3. Anyone with T-Mobile 4g coverage in IL?
    By Peaches36 in forum T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-22-2013, 07:53 PM
  4. any one looking for a samsung tab 3 10.1 in Excellent condition?
    By snowboarders in forum Samsung Galaxy Tab 3
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-20-2013, 04:34 PM
  5. T-Mobile Coverage in Charlotte, NC - 28277
    By The SPCS Guy in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-18-2013, 05:46 PM

Posting Permissions