Switching Over! I have a question!

chram893

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey all! I am planning on visiting the T-Mobile store and finally switching over tomorrow morning! I bought the prepaid sims cards several weeks ago that went on sale for free from their online store. My plan is to transfer 4 lines over to T-Mobile and create a Simple Choice Family plan. We are also planning on adding my sister, who is already on T-Mobile under the $30 prepaid plan, to the family plan. So in total, we are wanting to have 5 lines (which I think is the limit) under one family plan.
(1) Is there now a difference between prepaid and Simple Choice plans?
(2) Since I ordered 4 prepaid sim cards (I did 2 separate orders to get them), will I be able the option to use them to sign up for a Simple Choice plan or would the sim cards only work for prepaid plans?
(3) If we are able to create a family plan, will we be able to switch my sisters prepaid plan and add her under the new family plan?

I'm really excited, and nervous, about the switch, but I know it will be completely worth the transfer!
Thanks!

Last edited:

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't think prepaid service has a "family plan" at all.

If you want the family plan, which does come with significant discount for 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th line, you will need to sign up for post-paid simple choice plan.

Post paid, 5 lines, each with 2.5G/unlimited data, costs $160+tax and fees, it may end up ti be around %180.

Talk to the store rep.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I bought the prepaid sims cards several weeks ago that went on sale for free from their online store. My plan is to transfer 4 lines over to T-Mobile and create a Simple Choice Family plan.
Pre-paid and Simple Choice are different plans. Pre-paid is... well, pre-paid. Simple Choice is a traditional post-paid plan.

(1) Is there now a difference between prepaid and Simple Choice plans?
Yes. Several. Beside the pre- and post-paid difference, Simple Choice is alleged to have more/better data roaming and it includes the new International perks (free 2g data roaming in 100+ countries, discounted International roaming call costs, eligibility for the International talk and text discount plan) and free tethering. I think there are others, but I don't recall what they are, at the moment.

(2) Since I ordered 4 prepaid sim cards (I did 2 separate orders to get them), will I be able the option to use them to sign up for a Simple Choice plan or would the sim cards only work for prepaid plans?
Pre-paid SIM cards work only on pre-paid plans. But the store may swap them for you. Ours did. (But I paid for our SIM cards.)

(3) If we are able to create a family plan, will we be able to switch my sisters prepaid plan and add her under the new family plan?
I do not know. I don't know why not, though.

You're welcome.

chram893

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Greatly appreciate the help guys! I did end up having to get different sim cards for all lines, but the whole process of setting up a new account was painless, as well as transferring over the other prepaid account to the family plan. The porting process is still going on, but other than that, everything about the whole transfer process has been great! Thanks again guys!

Posted via Android Central App

RG129

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Prepaid SIM cards actually can be used on postpaid accounts. Employees in retail stores and even the general customer care representatives at T-Mobile have told me that I'd probably need to switch out to postpaid SIM cards, but when I spoke with a representative in the activations department, he said there's no difference and that they work fine. There was no problem with activation and the phone works fine.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool