1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Does Pre-Paid T-Mobile to Simple Choice Plans Require Credit Check?

Sorry for the lengthy title. I've had my alcatel one touch fierce for a little over a month now. I just re-filled my pre-paid $30 walmart plan. I was going to go with the unlimited $70 simple Choice plan but now I'm unsure from a recent visit to a t-mobile store. I've been to this same t-mobile store several times and unfortunately keep getting two different stories about the tablets and their 200MB of data too. The last time I went I asked if I could go to the $70 plan with unlimited everything including the 2.5 GB for hotspot. They told me I could but they would need to run my credit and I'd need a new sim. I was very surprised to hear this. I told them I have the walmart sim from the $30 plan and why I can't use that sim.

The woman told me that the walmart plan isn't true t-mobile speed. I asked if she was referring to the walmart family plan since mine was the $30 walmart t-mobile sim but she told me they are the same. She told me that t-mobile doesn't give walmart t-mobile access to all the towers and coverage and told me my coverage would only increase if I go with the simple choice plan and run the credit check. I asked about the APN with metro pcs too and she told me that t-mobile owns metro pcs (not sure if true) and that's why I can switch between the two under APN.

I looked on my phone under account and online and it says I can go to the $70 plan. It says nothing about a credit check or new sim but even sometimes I see banners online for t-mobiles $70 simple plan with unlimited everything no credit checks, no hassle, and etc. I'm not against the credit check if I have to I have to but that's also why I'm waiting one more month. Trying to build credit actually. I'm just trying to figure out if what she told me is true or not. The other employees told me the same. If anyone has switched from the pre-paid to the simple choice unlimited do you actually have to get a new sim card and even a credit check. Someone also told me something about how the 2.5 GB of tethering is only available to those who do a credit check. Want to get off of the walmart plan as soon as I can. Burned through those 5GB last month so fast and was reduced to speeds under 1MB even in full 4G areas.

Thanks.

Default Re: Does Pre-Paid T-Mobile to Simple Choice Plans Require Credit Check?

I think you would only need a credit check if you finance a phone, 0% last time i looked, from them instead of paying up front.

Also make sure the store you visit is a real T Mobile store. Where I live there are several TMobile stores that look legit, sell nothing but TMobile, signs look the same, but in small print it says "Authorized Dealer". They don't provide the same deals and discounts you may get from a real TMobile store.

Quote Originally Posted by mvsmith View Post
    ... I asked if I could go to the $70 plan with unlimited everything including the 2.5 GB for hotspot. They told me I could but they would need to run my credit and I'd need a new sim.
    That is correct: To change from a pre-paid to post-paid account you'll need a new SIM and they'll do a credit check.

Jim

It is my understanding that only post paid plans get the credit check. I don't know about the SIM card issues, but a new SIM is only 10 bucks. I am on a pre paid pan, had no credit check, and get the 2.5g tethering option

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

This is still a murky area. Thank you everyone for responding I appreciate it. I still feel that there is something off about what was said at the store and other times and now I have a phone call to match it. I called t-mobile tonight and asked if I could go from pre-paid to post paid (simple choice..credit check one) and the woman told me I could and could do it over the phone. I asked if I need to do a credit check and a new sim and she told me new sim is needed but no credit check. Again, confusing.

I did a little digging on t-mobile's support site and message board. Still can't figure out why you need a credit check for post paid (simple choice) when you don't for pre-paid if you are bringing your own device. I can understand why do it if you are financing a device but I already have a phone. I did however, find that the differences between pre-paid and post plan are pretty significant. Something about call forwarding isn't available for pre-paid but is for post plan. Also roaming is not for pre-paid but is for post plan. This could explain why the woman told me my coverage would be better.

What confuses me even more though is when my refil ended and I needed to renew there was a message in my account that said I have 100MB of tethering data. As soon as I refilled it the message went away and I got the "you don't have access" to tethering thing.

The only thing I can guess with this is that I'm not on a typical t-mobile pre-paid plan. Yes there is the walmart family plan and there is apparently t-mobile pre-paid. I must be on another plane with the $30 Walmart Sim. The good news is at least my friend's were able to get out of their verizon contract because verizon cannot provide service where we live (moved) and because they cannot provide service they will pay the ETF for my friends. I hope I don't really need to do a credit check but if I need to I will. It sounds like it can be done over the phone at least but I have a feeling in person will be better.

Thank you everyone for answering my question. I still don't understand the need for credit check if you byod but maybe that's just how t-mobile is. Still better than verizon and sprint.

Edit: Did a little more digging and answered my own question..sort of.

On the simple page:
    General Terms: At participating locations. Credit approval, deposit, and $10 SIM starter kit may be required.

And somewhere hidden on that page is:

Simple Choice no credit are excluded as a credit check is required to access network.

I can only guess that the missing text elaborates. So although there are mixed answers of if a credit check is required or not it sounds like some stores, operators, or representatives may or may not have you do a credit check. But it sounds like if they do have you do a credit check either they won't exclude you or just can't. They just run it is all for whatever reason. Wish this wasn't such a pain to find out but at least I know now.
    Last edited by mvsmith; 12-13-2013 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mvsmith View Post
    Still can't figure out why you need a credit check for post paid (simple choice) when you don't for pre-paid if you are bringing your own device.
    Because you're billed after the fact. You can run up a massive bill, then (try to) stiff them. If you have a good credit rating, they're willing to take that chance. If you don't: They're not--in which case they'll require a (refundable) deposit.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Actually, that makes perfect sense. It's just with their uncarrier mantra the credit check thing seemed weird. As much as they want to say they are uncarrier they still are just a good one. I know people who have just skipped out on a contract and never paid. I paid my sprint etc as soon as I left so you're right. They are protecting themselves and nothing wrong with that.

Hope its not a high deposit. When I was younger I tried to go with att and they wanted $500 dollars. Sprint was only $50.

Posted via Android Central App

ROM
    Stock

Or you can do the No Credit Check plan. They require a smaller deposit and you can do family plans, unlike prepaid. Hope this helps!

This is sounding more complicated than it is....

$30 Walmart pre-paid plan gives you 5GB of 4G data, unlimited 2G and 100MB of tethering (on top of your voice service).

$70 Simple Choice plan is post paid and requires a credit check

$70 pre-paid plan gives you unlimited 4G and 2.5GB tethering (like the Simple Choice plan) and does not require a credit check because you pay up front. You can't run over and be billed as they cut you off when you run out. As an aside, you also can't get screwed with 3rd party billing because the account only allows what you have already paid for. (Think those funny text messages where you somehow innocently sign up for some needless monthly service simply by replying.)

And finally, yes you need a new SIM if you want to switch. Technically you don't but that is just the way they are set up.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2

Global Posts
    643 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest AOKP!

I signed up at a tmo store and they ran my credit but I went post paid due to the fact I had been on prepaid for a year and hated that my service would be due a few days before I would get paid and be out of cell service for a few days was lame. Especially when a few times I went a week due to not having service due to billing issues with previous carrier Solavei where they cut my service 5 days before it was due so in theory I only had 25 days of service and the last 2 was 27 and 28 days *all during end of summer early fall.. Net10 never cut my service but Solavei did and they had just left a bad taste in my mouth for prepaid...

Cheers,
    Charlie

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Samsung Captivate - RIP 10-6-2011 Currently: Samsung Galaxy S2 i777 - Rooted, Sim Unlocked and soon to be debloated

To get service their is no longer a credit check. Only time they use a credit check is to finance a phone. Depending on your credit this will determine your deposit if you have one. As of the latest uncarrier events almost anyone can get service with tmobile. Only getting a phone through finance is their a check. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesusa View Post
    To get service their is no longer a credit check. Only time they use a credit check is to finance a phone. Depending on your credit this will determine your deposit if you have one. As of the latest uncarrier events almost anyone can get service with tmobile. Only getting a phone through finance is their a check. Hope this helps.

Not true. I bought a phone full price when I came to T-Mobile and they did a credit check since I am post paid to see how many lines I was approved for. They also did it to see if I had to pay for the month of service right there as I signed up or to see if they could trust billing me after I use their network for the month... He let me pay at the end of the month and said I was approved for 15 lines.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Not true. I bought a phone full price when I came to T-Mobile and they did a credit check since I am post paid to see how many lines I was approved for. They also did it to see if I had to pay for the month of service right there as I signed up or to see if they could trust billing me after I use their network for the month... He let me pay at the end of the month and said I was approved for 15 lines.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Good to know.