Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default T-Mobile buying block A spectrum from Verizon

    I read that tmobile is buying block a spectrum from Verizon. I wonder when band 12 capable devices will show up




    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-26-2014 at 01:47 PM.
  2. #2  
    raino's Avatar

    Posts
    128 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,429 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

    Default Re: Tmobile buying block A spectrum from Verizon

    I don't think band 12 is in any devices right now? If it was, deployment could be tracked.
    SGH-T999v running stock 4.3
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Tmobile buying block A spectrum from Verizon

    Quote Originally Posted by raino View Post
    I don't think band 12 is in any devices right now? If it was, deployment could be tracked.
    Correct, I don't think any current devices are band 12 capable, hence why I asked when they will be showing up

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Tmobile buying block A spectrum from Verizon

    I'm guessing it will take 9-12 months to see band 12 on a device. It will probably coincide nicely with the launch of the first markets.

    Now that it's obvious T-Mobile needs the rest of the A block, I wonder if the small carriers will make them pay through the nose. If they were smart, the small carriers would give T-Mobile the A block in return for national roaming agreements. Of course, that requires VoLTE, since the small carriers are all CDMA.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Tmobile buying block A spectrum from Verizon

    Quote Originally Posted by Hiberny View Post
    I'm guessing it will take 9-12 months to see band 12 on a device. It will probably coincide nicely with the launch of the first markets.

    Now that it's obvious T-Mobile needs the rest of the A block, I wonder if the small carriers will make them pay through the nose. If they were smart, the small carriers would give T-Mobile the A block in return for national roaming agreements. Of course, that requires VoLTE, since the small carriers are all CDMA.
    T-Mobile users could roam on AT&T band 12 once it is deployed.

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Tmobile buying block A spectrum from Verizon

    Yea, right now that band is not usable by current phones but maybe they'll have it ready for Nexus 6 or galaxy s5 or even THE NOTE 4. Either way it's great news. Especially with the announcement of 14 new LTE markets.

    Posted via Android Central App
  7. #7  
    raino's Avatar

    Posts
    128 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,429 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

    Default Re: Tmobile buying block A spectrum from Verizon

    I hope they can still afford to buy significant chunks in the 600 MHz auctions next year.
    SGH-T999v running stock 4.3
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Tmobile buying block A spectrum from Verizon

    If they managed to get all of the A block they might only need a sliver of 600 Mhz. They key will be a nationwide band.

    Posted via Android Central App
  9. #9  
    raino's Avatar

    Posts
    128 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,429 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

    Default Re: Tmobile buying block A spectrum from Verizon

    Band 12: 699-716 UL, 729-746 DL
    Band 13: 777-787 UL, 746-756 DL
    Band 17: 704-716 UL, 734-746 DL

    It looks like there's partial overlap between bands 12 and 17. What does this mean in terms of interoperability? Will band 12 phones automatically be band 17 compatible too? Will band 17 phones work in band 12 markets under certain conditions?
    SGH-T999v running stock 4.3
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Tmobile buying block A spectrum from Verizon

    If I understand correctly, band 12 includes 17. Band 12 phones will be able to roam on AT&Ts band 17 LTE (if they ever allow it).

    Posted via Android Central App
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: Tmobile buying block A spectrum from Verizon

    Quote Originally Posted by Hiberny View Post
    If I understand correctly, band 12 includes 17. Band 12 phones will be able to roam on AT&Ts band 17 LTE (if they ever allow it).

    Posted via Android Central App
    Correct. Band 12 includes lower blocks a, b, and c. Band 17 includes lower blocks b and c. The reason why band 17 was created was because of the potential interference between lower block a and channel 51.

    Band 12 phones cannot roam on band 17 without modification, however att has indicated that it would modify it's network to work with band 12.

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Thanked by:
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Tmobile buying block A spectrum from Verizon

    Wow, the incompatibility is even worse than I thought. We just need all unlocked phones to have 12 and 17 I guess.

    Posted via Android Central App
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: Tmobile buying block A spectrum from Verizon

    Quote Originally Posted by Hiberny View Post
    Wow, the incompatibility is even worse than I thought. We just need all unlocked phones to have 12 and 17 I guess.

    Posted via Android Central App
    " AT&Ts current 700 MHz LTE network, which is expected to provide coverage to nearly 270 million consumers in 400 markets by the end of 2013, currently supports only Band 17 devices. Band 12 support on AT&Ts network will require that AT&T deploy a new network technology that will permit simultaneous support of both Band 12 and Band 17 devices. Absent this dual support, millions of pre-existing Band 17 devices currently in use by AT&Ts customers would be stranded. To achieve this, AT&T must develop, implement and deploy throughout its network Multi-Frequency Band Indicator or MFBI capabilities. MFBI will permit AT&Ts network to operate simultaneously as both a Band 12 and Band 17 network and to support devices in both bands. This feature was recently standardized, and as with any new significant feature, deployment will require lab regression testing of the new major software release that will contain it, lab testing of the feature and its functionality, and field testing that includes extensive testing with existing Band 17 legacy devices as well as new prototype Band 12 devices. Additionally, testing of both types of devices with various carrier aggregation capabilities operating simultaneously with the MFBI feature will need to be completed. "

    You can read more here if interested




    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  14. #14  
    raino's Avatar

    Posts
    128 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,429 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

    Default Re: Tmobile buying block A spectrum from Verizon

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    " AT&T’s current 700 MHz LTE network, which is expected to provide coverage to nearly 270 million consumers in 400 markets by the end of 2013, currently supports only Band 17 devices. Band 12 support on AT&T’s network will require that AT&T deploy a new network technology that will permit simultaneous support of both Band 12 and Band 17 devices. Absent this dual support, millions of pre-existing Band 17 devices currently in use by AT&T’s customers would be stranded. To achieve this, AT&T must develop, implement and deploy throughout its network Multi-Frequency Band Indicator or MFBI capabilities. MFBI will permit AT&T’s network to operate simultaneously as both a Band 12 and Band 17 network and to support devices in both bands. This feature was recently standardized, and as with any new significant feature, deployment will require lab regression testing of the new major software release that will contain it, lab testing of the feature and its functionality, and field testing that includes extensive testing with existing Band 17 legacy devices as well as new prototype Band 12 devices. Additionally, testing of both types of devices with various carrier aggregation capabilities operating simultaneously with the MFBI feature will need to be completed. "

    You can read more here if interested

    I'm confused by this snippet.

    -Why would "millions of pre-existing Band 17 devices currently in use by AT&T’s customers...be stranded" without MFBI? Is AT&T planning to somehow do away with the current band 17 network?

    -Let's say in the future I had an unlocked TMO bands 4/12 phone. Then let's say AT&T still hasn't deployed a band 12 network, and I'm in a confirmed LTE (band 17) market. According to this article, I couldn't just pop in an AT&T SIM in my band 12 phone and get LTE on AT&T?
    SGH-T999v running stock 4.3
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default Re: Tmobile buying block A spectrum from Verizon

    Quote Originally Posted by raino View Post
    I'm confused by this snippet.

    -Why would "millions of pre-existing Band 17 devices currently in use by AT&Ts customers...be stranded" without MFBI? Is AT&T planning to somehow do away with the current band 17 network?

    -Let's say in the future I had an unlocked TMO bands 4/12 phone. Then let's say AT&T still hasn't deployed a band 12 network, and I'm in a confirmed LTE (band 17) market. According to this article, I couldn't just pop in an AT&T SIM in my band 12 phone and get LTE on AT&T?
    Bands 12 and 17 are not interoperable. Your phone must support band 17 support to use band 17.

    If your phone only supports bands 4 and 12,then you would not be able to use band 17.

    With that said, some tmobile phones currently support bands 4,5,and 17 used by att.I know that the TMobile Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and TMobile 5s/5c support bands 4,5,and 17.

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  16. #16  
    raino's Avatar

    Posts
    128 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,429 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

    Default Re: Tmobile buying block A spectrum from Verizon

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Bands 12 and 17 are not interoperable. Your phone must support band 17 support to use band 17.
    OK. So it sounds like there really is more to it than just UL/DL frequency numbers at play here. Thanks.
    SGH-T999v running stock 4.3
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

    Default Re: Tmobile buying block A spectrum from Verizon

    Quote Originally Posted by raino View Post
    OK. So it sounds like there really is more to it than just UL/DL frequency numbers at play here. Thanks.
    Correct, interoperability depends on the band class, not frequency. Band 4 has blocks a, b, c, d, e, and f, all of which are interoperable. So even though Verizon's band 4 and att band 4 do not have any overlapping frequency, since both are band 4, they are interoperable.

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default Re: Tmobile buying block A spectrum from Verizon

    Quote Originally Posted by Hiberny View Post
    If they managed to get all of the A block they might only need a sliver of 600 Mhz. They key will be a nationwide band.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Well, tmobile in conjunction with Verizon is pushing for 35x35 in the 600 MHz auction, which is quite a big chunk.

    If tmobile wanted just a sliver, they would keep with the fcc's current proposal of 5mhz blocks.

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Tmobile buying block A spectrum from Verizon

    To me, it doesn't matter if T-Mobile only has band 12 equipment and AT&T band 17. As long as both bands are included on future handsets I (should) be able to use my phone on either network. I'd like to see all unlocked handset have the same bands as the Nexus 5, plus band 12.

    For my uses, T-Mobile's network is robust, penetrating deeply into the basement of my office. I have a strong signal in all the places I frequent. I run into 2G service in a couple of places that won't be covered by these licenses, so the roll out will mean little for me. I'm just hoping this will give them momentum for acquiring the rest of the A block.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

    Default Re: Tmobile buying block A spectrum from Verizon

    Quote Originally Posted by Hiberny View Post
    To me, it doesn't matter if T-Mobile only has band 12 equipment and AT&T band 17. As long as both bands are included on future handsets I (should) be able to use my phone on either network. I'd like to see all unlocked handset have the same bands as the Nexus 5, plus band 12.

    For my uses, T-Mobile's network is robust, penetrating deeply into the basement of my office. I have a strong signal in all the places I frequent. I run into 2G service in a couple of places that won't be covered by these licenses, so the roll out will mean little for me. I'm just hoping this will give them momentum for acquiring the rest of the A block.
    Att is transitioning to band 12,but would maintain band 17 interoperability. So I suspect that since both att and tmobile will use band 12,that future devices on both carriers would support at least band 12.

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Tmobile buying block A spectrum from Verizon

    I decided to Google it, since I must have missed the announcement that AT&T was interested in interoperability.

    Of course, now with the AT&T/Leap deal almost a done deal I have to wonder if AT&T will hold on to Leap's A blocks just to spite T-Mobile.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

    Default Re: Tmobile buying block A spectrum from Verizon

    Quote Originally Posted by Hiberny View Post
    I decided to Google it, since I must have missed the announcement that AT&T was interested in interoperability.

    Of course, now with the AT&T/Leap deal almost a done deal I have to wonder if AT&T will hold on to Leap's A blocks just to spite T-Mobile.
    Actually, it makes sense for att to hold onto leap's block a, since att only has 5x5 b17 in Chicago. If they get block a in Chicago, they can have 10x10 b12 in Chicago, and even for b17 users, part of the load would move to b12, similar to how on Verizon, b4 deployment increased speeds of b13.

    I don't think that it is a surprise to see att supporting b12 just a few months after mentioning their desire to bit leap

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Tmobile buying block A spectrum from Verizon

    Interestingly enough, Neal Gompa just mentioned that part of the Leap/AT&T deal requires them to sell their A block assets (and give the money to the shareholders), so T-Mobile does have a shot at picking those up. I'm just hoping they can get the other A block licenses from the regional carriers (either through sale or mergers).
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Tmobile buying block A spectrum from Verizon

    Has the deal for the 700-A block actually closed yet? I'm wondering if there's a realistic possibility the Galaxy S5 will have support for 700 A block band 12. . .I certainly hope it will, so it will be future proof!

    Posted using Android Central App on my Samsung Galaxy S4 T-Mobile
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

    Default Re: Tmobile buying block A spectrum from Verizon

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Holm View Post
    Has the deal for the 700-A block actually closed yet? I'm wondering if there's a realistic possibility the Galaxy S5 will have support for 700 A block band 12. . .I certainly hope it will, so it will be future proof!

    Posted using Android Central App on my Samsung Galaxy S4 T-Mobile
    Possible but doubtful. The fcc is expected to approve the deal in mid 2014.

    For reference, the fcc approved Verizon's aws purchase in mid 2012 and the first Verizon aws devices started to roll out in early /mid 2013

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Buying an off contract N5 from Sprint (Best Buy)?
    By javierlp in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-07-2014, 09:54 PM
  2. Does Chromecast work from a Chromebook?
    By cdemot02 in forum Google Chromecast
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-07-2014, 07:33 AM
  3. Notification question from a rookie
    By mfm77 in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-07-2014, 05:34 AM
  4. Verizon S3 Recovery Boot
    By Caschott in forum Verizon Galaxy S3 Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-07-2014, 03:01 AM
  5. Verizon HTC One Root/ROM question
    By geterdone11 in forum HTC One Rooting, ROMs & Hacks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-06-2014, 10:22 PM

Posting Permissions

B