Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default T-Mobile Coverage in Chicago Land Area

    So given the awesome news at @CESlive 2014 today by T-Mobile T-Mobile details its plan to pay your ETF from another carrier | Android Central, I'm a very interested candidate in this latest promotion by T Mo.

    Next question.. I'm coming from Sprint's horrible service in Chicago land suburbs (Plainfield, Illinois) area and wanted to get some feedback on carrier service as in signal quality, reliability, etc here in Chicago from other T Mo customers...

    Thanks!

    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central.
    srkmagnus likes this.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: T-Mobile Coverage in Chicago Land Area

    The deal sounds too good to be true and if you look and compare what you get with Verizon and AT&T you will learn its not a great deal. I am always looking for a deal but in the end for what I pay I am sticking with Verizon. The biggest downfall with T Mobile is their coverage and data speeds, if you research this you will find hundreds of complaints.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: T-Mobile Coverage in Chicago Land Area

    Quote Originally Posted by o4liberty View Post
    The deal sounds too good to be true and if you look and compare what you get with Verizon and AT&T you will learn its not a great deal. I am always looking for a deal but in the end for what I pay I am sticking with Verizon. The biggest downfall with T Mobile is their coverage and data speeds, if you research this you will find hundreds of complaints.
    True in some respects. You will always find complaints. I think anything at this point is a step up from Sprint. Sprint is going nowhere even remotely fast compared to its competitors.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: T-Mobile Coverage in Chicago Land Area

    I used to have T-Mobile in Chicago. Was great for the most part. Every carrier has issues.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  5. #5  

    Default Re: T-Mobile Coverage in Chicago Land Area

    Quote Originally Posted by o4liberty View Post
    The deal sounds too good to be true and if you look and compare what you get with Verizon and AT&T you will learn its not a great deal. I am always looking for a deal but in the end for what I pay I am sticking with Verizon. The biggest downfall with T Mobile is their coverage and data speeds, if you research this you will find hundreds of complaints.
    Coverage is an issue but only if you travel. If you're like me and stay in the same city... And get coverage all over that city... Tmobile is great.

    As you can see my data speeds are very good and i'd bet on par with your Verizon. Either way they aren't slow and you can do anything on this connection.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails T-Mobile Coverage in Chicago Land Area-1389271837824.jpg   T-Mobile Coverage in Chicago Land Area-1389271847333.jpg  
    CFR0628 likes this.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: T-Mobile Coverage in Chicago Land Area

    Also this was last month's usage... Just to show you that it works if the coverage in your city is good .

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails T-Mobile Coverage in Chicago Land Area-1389271929863.jpg  
  7. #7  

    Default Re: T-Mobile Coverage in Chicago Land Area

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Coverage is an issue but only if you travel. If you're like me and stay in the same city... And get coverage all over that city... Tmobile is great.

    As you can see my data speeds are very good and i'd bet on par with your Verizon. Either way they aren't slow and you can do anything on this connection.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    This is true if coverage is good in the area you stay in TMO is good but I'd you travel and frequent high rise buildings then I would use another carrier.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. #8  

    Default Re: T-Mobile Coverage in Chicago Land Area

    Quote Originally Posted by o4liberty View Post
    This is true if coverage is good in the area you stay in TMO is good but I'd you travel and frequent high rise buildings then I would use another carrier.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Very true. I was just mainly showing you it isn't all bad... Telling someone to Google a company to see complaints is pointless now a days especially with carriers because carriers are so area dependent that you can find complaints about any carrier by doing a Google search.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: T-Mobile Coverage in Chicago Land Area

    I stay in Chicago and used every carrier and I can honestly say besides the couple of dead spots I have no complaints about T-Mobile. Good speeds at a good price. I avg about 15-20mb on hspa+.

    Sent from my ALCATEL ONETOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk 2 (Central n Ohio Austin IL)
  10. #10  

    Default Re: T-Mobile Coverage in Chicago Land Area

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    So given the awesome news at @CESlive 2014 today by T-Mobile T-Mobile details its plan to pay your ETF from another carrier | Android Central, I'm a very interested candidate in this latest promotion by T Mo.

    Next question.. I'm coming from Sprint's horrible service in Chicago land suburbs (Plainfield, Illinois) area and wanted to get some feedback on carrier service as in signal quality, reliability, etc here in Chicago from other T Mo customers...

    Thanks!

    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central.
    I switched to T mobile as well about two months now. I live in Chicago as well. So far no complain. Loving it compared to sprint. I get up to 10-14mbps data speed anywhere around with decent signals and voice quality in Chicago so far and yes sometimes during busy hours the data drops on 3G still 6+ mbps which is better than sprint anytime. But still overall much better than sprint without a doubt. I use nexus 4 and my gf uses iPhone 5s on t mobile and we love it.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: T-Mobile Coverage in Chicago Land Area

    I was like you with sprint and switched to t-mobile recently. Night and day difference. T-mobile far better data speeds and signal in Chicagoland. Won't go back to sprint.

    Posted via Android Central App on my Sony Z1s
  12. #12  

    Default Re: T-Mobile Coverage in Chicago Land Area

    Did you make the switch to T-mo? How's it working out for you in Chicago? My Galaxy s3 with unlimited VZW data has been very unimpressive lately. The metra ride from Park Ridge into the city has shown how spotty VZW can be even in a metro area. Tmo pricing, uncarrier initiatives, etc. look enticing. Thoughts on the move to Tmo? Thanks.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: T-Mobile Coverage in Chicago Land Area

    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Parungao MD View Post
    Did you make the switch to T-mo? How's it working out for you in Chicago? My Galaxy s3 with unlimited VZW data has been very unimpressive lately. The metra ride from Park Ridge into the city has shown how spotty VZW can be even in a metro area. Tmo pricing, uncarrier initiatives, etc. look enticing. Thoughts on the move to Tmo? Thanks.
    I live in Bloomingdale, not too far from you. Tmobile's been great for me. It deeps to 2g if I go real west, like Elburn, but as long as I stay in the "real" suburbs I haven't had any problems.

    I say give them a try with their new iphone promo. they just released volte, but I cant use it since I have a nexus 5
  14. #14  

    Default Re: T-Mobile Coverage in Chicago Land Area

    I live in Northwest Indiana and I have LTE and the signal is rather good I'd say. In my area I have better signal than my Verizon buddies.

    Posted via Android Central App
  15. #15  

    Default Re: T-Mobile Coverage in Chicago Land Area

    Yeah I'm actually interested in hearing how T-Mo is in the Chi-land area as well. I must say Sprint in the near west 'burbs is getting better but their building penetration is still bad. Whenever I'm in a mall, store, restaurant or office building it's a crap shoot on whether I get a data signal or not.
  16. #16  
    dhawk123's Avatar

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

    Default Re: T-Mobile Coverage in Chicago Land Area

    Around the River Forest/Elmwood Park area I've noticed 40-60mbps now on T-mobile. Also have tested out the VoLTE on a Galaxy Note 3. Sounds pretty good.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: T-Mobile Coverage in Chicago Land Area

    Quote Originally Posted by dhawk123 View Post
    Around the River Forest/Elmwood Park area I've noticed 40-60mbps now on T-mobile. Also have tested out the VoLTE on a Galaxy Note 3. Sounds pretty good.
    How is VoLTE?

    Sad that we have VoLTE but not wideband lte. I'd rather take wideband over volte. I came from Sprint. My bill went from 300 (5 lines + hotspot) to 150ish with a better network so I'm extremely happy!
  18. #18  
    dhawk123's Avatar

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

    Default Re: T-Mobile Coverage in Chicago Land Area

    nice and clear! Wideband should be popping up more places soon, idk why it wouldn't.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: T-Mobile Coverage in Chicago Land Area

    Quote Originally Posted by dhawk123 View Post
    Around the River Forest/Elmwood Park area I've noticed 40-60mbps now on T-mobile. Also have tested out the VoLTE on a Galaxy Note 3. Sounds pretty good.
    I'm jealous!

    I'm just east of you in Oak Park and my speeds are much lower, 20 - 25 mbps. Though this is acceptable, my son who is on VZW is in the 60 - 80mbps range. Wish TMo would upgrade the towers in my area.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: T-Mobile Coverage in Chicago Land Area

    Quote Originally Posted by LuvMusic View Post
    I'm jealous!

    I'm just east of you in Oak Park and my speeds are much lower, 20 - 25 mbps. Though this is acceptable, my son who is on VZW is in the 60 - 80mbps range. Wish TMo would upgrade the towers in my area.

    I'm in OP and there must be a tower cluster somewhere off Lake Street. Whenever I'm there Sprint's network is fast same thing with Verizon.
  21. #21  
    CFR0628's Avatar

    Posts
    40 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

    Default Re: T-Mobile Coverage in Chicago Land Area

    96GB on att or Verizon? That would be like a $1,000 maybe $2,000 phone bill lol.

    Posted via Android Central App
  22. #22  

    Default Re: T-Mobile Coverage in Chicago Land Area

    Quote Originally Posted by LuvMusic View Post
    I'm jealous!

    I'm just east of you in Oak Park and my speeds are much lower, 20 - 25 mbps. Though this is acceptable, my son who is on VZW is in the 60 - 80mbps range. Wish TMo would upgrade the towers in my area.
    Wideband LTE hasn't been released yet so wait for it!

    I don't think Tmobile has enough capacity for 20x20 in Chicago, most they can do is 15x15 which is still going to be awesome!

    With the massive amounts of people in the underground union station, you'd think they'd run "underground mini cell phone towers" there, but nope.... We all know how backed up the cell phone carriers get in the Great Hall whenever a metra train has an "incident"
  23. #23  
    HawaiiD's Avatar

    Posts
    1,066 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,086 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM7 7.1 / Tiamat 3.3.7

    Default Re: T-Mobile Coverage in Chicago Land Area

    Quote Originally Posted by LuvMusic View Post
    I'm jealous!

    I'm just east of you in Oak Park and my speeds are much lower, 20 - 25 mbps. Though this is acceptable, my son who is on VZW is in the 60 - 80mbps range. Wish TMo would upgrade the towers in my area.
    LuvMusic,
    Most of Honolulu is in the 60-70MB range.
    However, there are pockets that still in the 20-30 MB range.
    I don't not see any difference in performance to tell you the truth.
    As long as the signal is pretty strong? It's all good.
    Don't fret 20MB down on a strong signal is plenty good! Plus you still have unlimited data. Verizon will start throttling in October after 5 gigs. Plus the next billing cycle will be affected.
    Your all good man
  24. #24  
    atrain2324's Avatar

    Posts
    202 Posts
    Carrier
    BobZ CM10

    Default Re: T-Mobile Coverage in Chicago Land Area

    Quote Originally Posted by dhawk123 View Post
    Around the River Forest/Elmwood Park area I've noticed 40-60mbps now on T-mobile. Also have tested out the VoLTE on a Galaxy Note 3. Sounds pretty good.
    Dannnnng. I live up in the north side of Hoffman Estates and gets 38-42 down, 7-12 up. Sounds like T-Mo is testing a little wideband 20x20 in your area?
  25. #25  

    Default Re: T-Mobile Coverage in Chicago Land Area

    Quote Originally Posted by Okris27 View Post
    I was like you with sprint and switched to t-mobile recently. Night and day difference. T-mobile far better data speeds and signal in Chicagoland. Won't go back to sprint.

    Posted via Android Central App on my Sony Z1s
    Yeah I was with Sprint then came to T-Mobile and was thinking about switching back but after seeing my girls speeds on her sprint/boost I decided to stay. We were getting the same DL speeds and I'm only on hspa+ and she has LTE. The only difference was she obviously got higher upload speeds.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Z730 using Tapatalk (Central n Ohio Austin IL)
    Bigballer likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Measuring distance in "maps"?
    By adanick2 in forum AT&T LG G2
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-24-2014, 12:52 AM
  2. t mobile group messaging
    By Chrisjn103 in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-09-2014, 01:33 PM
  3. Productivity Tool IN S-Note
    By shlomoreuven in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-09-2014, 03:55 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-08-2014, 10:19 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-08-2014, 03:18 PM

Posting Permissions