Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By iFortWorth
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Supplementing T-Mobile 4G Coverage

I'm currently a Sprint customer, looking to jump to T-Mobile. I own my Nexus 5 32GB and look forward to paying less for the service I use each month.

On a rare occurrence (a couple times a year) I'll travel outside of T-Mobile's 4G coverage area. Has anyone here ever tried to supplement the lack of 4G from T-Mobile by buying a pre-paid SIM from AT&T or Sprint that has 4G coverage and swapping out their T-Mobile SIM during that time? Just looking to cover all the bases before I make the jump.

Thanks!

Default Re: Supplementing T-Mobile 4G Coverage

Not exactly what you are asking, but I travel to Europe every year and have a data only SIM that I use to stay connected. Nothing to do but make sure it stays active buy putting some money on it once a year. Phone switches right over to the correct settings.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by CouchFisher View Post
    I'm currently a Sprint customer, looking to jump to T-Mobile. I own my Nexus 5 32GB and look forward to paying less for the service I use each month.

On a rare occurrence (a couple times a year) I'll travel outside of T-Mobile's 4G coverage area. Has anyone here ever tried to supplement the lack of 4G from T-Mobile by buying a pre-paid SIM from AT&T or Sprint that has 4G coverage and swapping out their T-Mobile SIM during that time? Just looking to cover all the bases before I make the jump.

Thanks!
    I'm having the same thoughts. I'm with ATT and have been for over 15 years, with the same number. But let's face it, T-Mobile is quite a bit cheaper. I can save 50-100/month on a three line family plan. That's a decent amount of money. The downside of course is less coverage and slower speeds. As such I've thrown idea the same idea as above. Some type of ATT burner phone or some such.

Quote Originally Posted by iFortWorth View Post
    I'm having the same thoughts. I'm with ATT and have been for over 15 years, with the same number. But let's face it, T-Mobile is quite a bit cheaper. I can save 50-100/month on a three line family plan. That's a decent amount of money. The downside of course is less coverage and slower speeds. As such I've thrown idea the same idea as above. Some type of ATT burner phone or some such.
    I wouldn't always say slower speeds.. That is not always the case.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    I wouldn't always say slower speeds.. That is not always the case.

Maybe not always, but can T-Mobile get close to 30_40/Mbs that I routinely get in Fort Worth? And I'm asking seriously. I've read that all in all there LTE is slower. And it's certainly less wide spread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Maybe not always, but can T-Mobile get close to 30_40/Mbs that I routinely get in Fort Worth? And I'm asking seriously. I've read that all in all there LTE is slower. And it's certainly less wide spread.

The coverage isn't as good of course that's what T-Mobile is known for slacking on but yes their LTE can hit 30-40. In Jacksonville FL that's my average.

Some places in Texas they are testing 20x20 LTE.

Below are some of my tests.. The very last picture is the 20x20 LTE test from another user.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Supplementing T-Mobile 4G Coverage-1390224813489.jpg   Supplementing T-Mobile 4G Coverage-1390224824094.jpg   Supplementing T-Mobile 4G Coverage-1390224845974.jpg   Supplementing T-Mobile 4G Coverage-1390224858759.jpg  

Just did this one while driving on the highway with the girlfriend. (she's driving.. Not me :P)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Supplementing T-Mobile 4G Coverage-1390225168078.jpg  

Wow. I certainly stand corrected. And don't get me wrong. I didn't come here to bash T-Mobile. I'm considering making the switch myself.

Jaramie3 likes this.

Wow. I certainly stand corrected. And don't get me wrong. I didn't come here to bash T-Mobile. I'm considering making the switch myself.

Oh I understand . It's always smart to ensure you get coverage where you need it and the speeds you need before a switch.

As long as T-Mobile is good in your area you'll love it.. Just have to make sure that's the case .

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Since the post I made the switch to T-Mobile. I have to say, it works great. Speeds are fast, often 20+ down on LTE and with a few app hacks (xvoice+) Google Voice integration works just as well as it did on Sprint. In fact, in some cases the Google Voice integration works better since occasionally the underlying carrier number would "slip" into receiving caller's caller ID every now and then.

Since then, this
    On a rare occurrence (a couple times a year) I'll travel outside of T-Mobile's 4G coverage area.
    happened. I ventured into Northern Michigan and as I got North of Pinconning, MI I lost coverage by T-Mobile and I was clear on AT&T's network. The trip was only a weekend and by Saturday afternoon I received a text from T-Mobile that I have reached 40MB of my 50MB roaming allowance and nearly minutes later, I received a second text that I reached my 50MB cap. Given that I was on AT&T Edge roaming, I was surprised to see that I hit the data cap so quickly. Pffffft.

Both AT&T and Sprint have coverage in the area, with AT&T being 4G. Anyone know if I'm able to purchase a pre-paid plan on AT&T to get data back? The thought of dropping in an AT&T pre-paid SIM in the Nexus 5, getting back LTE for the few days to a week and using Google Voice to keep the same phone number is perfect. I just don't know if it would work? How much it would cost? And what the limitations would be?

I bought an H2O SIM for this very reason. I put $10 on it for that one time a year I don't have T-Mobile HSPA+ or LTE. $10 buys me 100 megs at 3G speeds.

Posted via Android Central App
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by Hiberny View Post
    I bought an H2O SIM for this very reason. I put $10 on it for that one time a year I don't have T-Mobile HSPA+ or LTE. $10 buys me 100 megs at 3G speeds.

Posted via Android Central App
    Interesting. I went to the H2O website and it looks like the rate is $0.10/MB and the coverage map shows 4G. Is there only 3G coverage with the pay-as-you-go plan?

As far as I know, they use AT&T for their SIMs and only give 3G speed.