Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dpham00
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Thinking of Switching from Verizon to T-Mobile

I live in San Diego and the coverage is about the same for both carriers. If we stick with Verizon we'll get either Moto Xs or LG G2s. If we switch to T-Mobile we'll get Nexus 5s. The cost is about the same, though with T-Mobile that includes being in the JUMP program for both phones. Anyone have feedback on pros and cons for either carrier? One note, we're still grandfathered in with unlimited data at Verizon and I'm not sure there's a way to keep it, if we switch to 4G. Does anyone know if we could keep it by buying our phones outright?

Default Re: Thinking of Switching from Verizon to T-Mobile

You should be able to keep unlimited data on Verizon when upgrading from 3g to 4GLTE so long as you don't get a subsidized phone.

If you travel outside the city then Verizon would probably give you better service.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks. That's very helpful to know. I'd consider sticking with Verizon if we could keep our unlimited data AND not have to be stuck with a contract. Any suggestions on reasonably priced off contract phones? As I recollect the Nexus 5 won't work with Verizon so it'd have to be something else.

Do you have any non unlimited lines? If so, you can transfer the unlimited upgrade to the non unlimited line and activate it on the non unlimited line.

If all lines are unlimited then you can add a basic line to transfer the upgrade. This basic line can be suspended without billing for half of the year.

There is an trick to upgrade from BestBuy and keep unlimited as well

Verizon: How to keep Unlimited Data and get phone on subsidized price

If you want to buy no contract phones, the Moto X is 400.00, g2 is $450, maxxand one are $500

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Unfortunately, our only two lines are both unlimited. That's a smart idea though. I suspect we'll have to give up our unlimited data or switch to T-Mobile. I'm not sure buying two phones outright is going to work with our cash flow.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by wodehousefan1 View Post
    Unfortunately, our only two lines are both unlimited. That's a smart idea though. I suspect we'll have to give up our unlimited data or switch to T-Mobile. I'm not sure buying two phones outright is going to work with our cash flow.
    Then add a third line, buy a smartphone and afterwards transfer the upgrades from the unlimited line to the non unlimited line. After you are done, put the basic phone on the line or have verizon put a dummy phone on the line. It would only be $60 plus taxes and fees per year if you suspended service without billing for half the year.

You can sell the third phone to gain some liquidity up front and also cover for a portion of the added cost of the line

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wodehousefan1 View Post
    Depending on what your cash flow is, you could finance 2 moto x using Motorola credit account. $400 is not a bad deal for a moto x. Plus you might be able to get 6,12 or 18 months free no interest and still keep unlimited data.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Thanks. That's an interesting suggestion. I'll see what that looks like with our cash supply.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. That's a good idea too. I do like the Moto X, so I'll take a look at that.

TMOBILE is generally not for people who travel... so unless you plan on staying WITHIN the city... You should be fine... TMOBILE Generally sucks for coverage when you start getting away from the population...

Check Gazelles ebay store. I buy all my phones from them. Pristine

Sent from my Note 3
    Have you tried SEARCH today? LPCZI9G4

I am also considering switching from VZW to T mobile. If I get a cheap prepaid T mobile phone would that be good enough to check phone reception at the house? We use wifi at the house so data isn't much of a concern.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by jhinson52 View Post
    I am also considering switching from VZW to T mobile. If I get a cheap prepaid T mobile phone would that be good enough to check phone reception at the house? We use wifi at the house so data isn't much of a concern.

Posted via Android Central App
    What Verizon phone do you have? The last few Verizon phones that I have bought have been factory sim unlocked.

If you need a new phone, the 521 has been reported at $35 from target ,ymmv though.

I have the S4. I never thought about that. I guess I could just pick up a SIM and try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    What Verizon phone do you have? The last few Verizon phones that I have bought have been factory sim unlocked.

If you need a new phone, the 521 has been reported at $35 from target ,ymmv though.

Quote Originally Posted by jhinson52 View Post
    I have the S4. I never thought about that. I guess I could just pick up a SIM and try it out.
    S4 is factory sim unlocked, so just pop in a sim. If you want data, you will have to change the apn. To test lte, you can put it in lte mode, though without root, it would not automatically switch between lte and other modes

Thanked by:
    jhinson52 likes this.

The Nexus 5 is an excellent choice, because it can be used on any carrier besides Verizon. If t-mobile's coverage isn't cutting it for you, then just take it to another carrier. Just swap sim cards maybe change a few APN settings and your good to go.