• 1 Post By raino
  • 1 Post By raino
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    5,429 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

Default T-Mobile: ISIS SIM cards

Has anyone not already getting one with their device been able to get one for free?
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-18-2014 at 08:15 PM.
    SGH-T999v running stock 4.3

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOPK 24 w/ GLaDOS

Default Re: T-Mobile: ISIS SIM cards

I was gonna ask about this when I switch. If I can get an ISIS sim instead of a regular one. But I'll be happy either way because I'll most likely use Google Wallet.

Sent from my Black on Black Verizon Note 3
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    5,429 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by ki11ak3nn View Post
    I was gonna ask about this when I switch. If I can get an ISIS sim instead of a regular one. But I'll be happy either way because I'll most likely use Google Wallet.
    It's pre-packaged with some devices. But if you're looking to switch to TMO and not getting one of these devices it comes standard with, I'd call or chat online. They'll probably throw it in at no cost, or no extra cost of over the regular SIM.
    Thanked by:
    ki11ak3nn likes this.

Google Wallet is not compatible.
    Isis will only work where its accepted.
    So if you have an ISIS sim you still can not use Google Wallet.
    Or at least thats what i understand.
    DropBox lets you sync files across Android, iOS, and Desktop Computers. Sign up for free, install, get me and you extra space! DropBox
    Twitter @AndroidTechGuy and @IAmSixNine
    Google+Google+

ISIS is a Seperate Program and Service, and is only accepted at Certain places, but is the more DOMINANT of the Mobile Pay Devices (Bigger Nationally then Google WALLET)... Verizon Offers them free, so call TMOBILE and ask.... They are generally called "Enhanced NFC SIM", Not ISIS SIM....

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOPK 24 w/ GLaDOS

Quote Originally Posted by IAmSixNine View Post
    Google Wallet is not compatible.
    Isis will only work where its accepted.
    So if you have an ISIS sim you still can not use Google Wallet.
    Or at least thats what i understand.
    That's doesn't make any sense though. If ISIS uses the SIM and GW uses the Secure Element, why can't I use both?? I'm not trying to use both. I'd rather have Wallet. I've never been to a place where GW didn't work.

Having a SIM that's compatible with ISIS won't stop you from using Google Wallet, but you'll obviously only be able to use one at a time. Also remember that ISIS only works on select carrier phones, so you need to be on a supported device: just having NFC isn't enough.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    5,429 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

That's doesn't make any sense though. If ISIS uses the SIM and GW uses the Secure Element, why can't I use both?? I'm not trying to use both. I'd rather have Wallet. I've never been to a place where GW didn't work.
    T-Mobile's basically decided to back ISIS, and not Google Wallet at all. An operational decision.

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOPK 24 w/ GLaDOS

Quote Originally Posted by zorak950 View Post
    Having a SIM that's compatible with ISIS won't stop you from using Google Wallet, but you'll obviously only be able to use one at a time. Also remember that ISIS only works on select carrier phones, so you need to be on a supported device: just having NFC isn't enough.
    Yeah I know. That's why I was stuck between choosing a G2 or a Nexus 5. But I'd rather have timely updates without having to root and Google Wallet.

Google Wallet is nice, though the need to use MasterCard as a portal for purchases is annoying since I use Visa.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    5,429 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

Looks like TMO is not allowing ISIS on non-branded phones. Well played, UnCarrier.
    ki11ak3nn likes this.

Yeah, some nonsensical thing about Nexus devices being designed for Google Wallet, whatever that means.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    5,429 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

Yeah, some nonsensical thing about Nexus devices being designed for Google Wallet, whatever that means.
    Not even that. I'm talking about phones that are on Isis' approved list (which the Nexus phones are not.) Apparently if your phone is not TMO branded, no Isis for you.

I don't know exactly how ISIS functions, but I suspect there's some reticence to shoulder the cost and responsibility of testing hardware they don't sell. It's hardly surprising, especially for a new system. Let's all remember that Google Wallet only worked on Nexus phones for well over a year unless you hacked it. I suspect we'll see broader ISIS compatibility down the line, assuming it survives.

Global Posts
    643 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest AOKP!

Google Wallet is nice, though the need to use MasterCard as a portal for purchases is annoying since I use Visa.
    Are you sure? I use Google wallet with an american express prepaid card with zero issues. I don't even have a master card or visa...

Cheers,
    Charlie

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Samsung Captivate - RIP 10-6-2011 Currently: Samsung Galaxy S2 i777 - Rooted, Sim Unlocked and soon to be debloated
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    5,429 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by dmnall View Post
    Are you sure? I use Google wallet with an american express prepaid card with zero issues. I don't even have a master card or visa...
    I think MC is Google Wallet's payment processor of sorts. MC bills your cards, but you cannot use GW in a way that the merchant charge shows up directly on your credit card.

Global Posts
    643 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest AOKP!

Quote Originally Posted by raino View Post
    I think MC is Google Wallet's payment processor of sorts. MC bills your cards, but you cannot use GW in a way that the merchant charge shows up directly on your credit card.
    That is weird because the last time I used gw to buy anything at a store the charge just showed up as a Google charge on my account lol.

Samsung Captivate - RIP 10-6-2011 Currently: Samsung Galaxy S2 i777 - Rooted, Sim Unlocked and soon to be debloated
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Global Posts
    5,429 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

That is weird because the last time I used gw to buy anything at a store the charge just showed up as a Google charge on my account lol.
    Exactly. Instead of the store name, it's whatever Google and MC have chosen to ID these charges as. It's kinda like PayPal in that way.

Global Posts
    643 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest AOKP!

Quote Originally Posted by raino View Post
    Exactly. Instead of the store name, it's whatever Google and MC have chosen to ID these charges as. It's kinda like PayPal in that way.
    I thought because it shows charges to Google but under the Google receipt would say the name of the store though.

I thought because it shows charges to Google but under the Google receipt would say the name of the store though.
    It does, I just find that division of payment information to be inconvenient and annoying. It works fine, I just don't like having yet another middle man in every transaction I make. It's a personal thing.