Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Default Re: T-Mobile: $30 "walmart" plan question

It is a nice plan, but there is no breakdown of calls or text or data provided by T-mobile. As far as I can tell one is operating blind on this plan - except for total minutes used, which can run out fast if one is not careful. After the recent FTC alert about T-mobile's padding of premium text charges, it would be good to see one's call/text/data usage on this plan to be on the safe side.

Nonsense. Since it's prepaid, premium texts are a non-issue, and I've never had problems with my talk time or data usage. Since the minute allowance is low, it's not a plan for heavy phone users no matter what, but the FTC thing is a massive red herring to this discussion.
    gtt1 and boogas8 like this.

So has anyone had success getting/keeping this plan with a new sim in the last few months for phones bought elsewhere ie Motorola/Google? I had no real problems getting it for Mom & me w/ Nexus4 & Moto G a year or so ago. But I noticed T-Mo's Website now officially specifies that the phone must be bought from them or Walmart - it didn't say that before. That obviously can't stop me from transferring the Mirosim from the N4 to a new phone, but I'm wondering if I upgrade to a MotoX or something that takes a different sized sim if I'll be able to keep the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffOrange View Post
    So has anyone had success getting/keeping this plan with a new sim in the last few months for phones bought elsewhere ie Motorola/Google? I had no real problems getting it for Mom & me w/ Nexus4 & Moto G a year or so ago. But I noticed T-Mo's Website now officially specifies that the phone must be bought from them or Walmart - it didn't say that before. That obviously can't stop me from transferring the Mirosim from the N4 to a new phone, but I'm wondering if I upgrade to a MotoX or something that takes a different sized sim if I'll be able to keep the plan.
    You should not have any problem keeping the plan. I was looking at that plan a year and a half ago and it said Walmart or online only just as it says now.
    You can observe a lot by watching- Yogi Berra

Global Posts
    6,534 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zorak950 View Post
    the FTC thing is a massive red herring to this discussion.
    No, it's not.

The poster had a valid point that since there has been shady billing (i.e. the practice of signing customers up for premium services,) by TMO, it would be nice to see usage breakdowns. Note how he also says [high speed] data and minutes? Those are limited, so it's not too much to ask for a breakdown to make sure they aren't engaging in any funny business. Your 'it's a low minute plan, what do you expect?' is a dangerous, slippery slope argument.

BTW, unlimited text plans don't preclude you from premium text charges. The text that comes in may be free, but those "services" you get signed up for aren't.
    SGH-T999v running stock 4.3
    Thanked by:

Unlimited doesn't. Prepaid does. More detailed billing would be all well and good, but if you think I wrote that it's unnecessary because it's a low minute plan, you misread my argument. I said it's irrelevant to this conversation, not that it's a bad idea. The preponderance of evidence suggests that it's a non-issue: find me a thread in this forum accusing T-Mobile of this "shady billing."

Global Posts
    6,534 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zorak950 View Post
    The preponderance of evidence suggests that it's a non-issue: find me a thread in this forum accusing T-Mobile of this "shady billing."
    That's the point. Without TMO showing you detailed usage, you can't see whether or not they're deducting like they're supposed to. This is what happened to a lot of people with cramming as well. The bill would list something, but not explain what it is, or who authorized it, etc.
    SGH-T999v running stock 4.3

That's a circular argument.

Global Posts
    198 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BuffOrange View Post
    I signed up for a new $30 plan this week and used a Nexus 5 I bought a couple of months ago from Google. Also, for those concerned about how it now says "high speed data" rather than "LTE", I am getting LTE, also.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12